“Overrated and Overhyped”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Bentley's - CLOSED

Bentley's
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Nyc
“Overrated and Overhyped”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

Despite the advice of every local I came across I dined at Bentleys. They were right. Poor service, poor food, way too expensive. Yellowtail that was prepared Shake and Bake style with Old Bay seasoning on top, $26. Lousy.

The same $26 would buy you a GREAT dinner at the other top rated restaurant on Islamorada.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank hi3655

Sevierville, TN
“Time has passed them by”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

Bentley's advertises that they are a raw bar, and while its true that they serve raw oysters and have a bar, somehow the two do not add up to a raw bar. Our first impression was created as we walked up a ramp on the side of the building and were met by our hostess taking a cigarette break. She led us into a dark wood paneled dining room sparsely populated by geriatric folks who were either too weak to find a better restaurant or had been there since Bentley's heyday back in the 80's. Our waiter did his best to explain the specials and assortment of fish preparations during a 5 minute monologue, but all the time I kept thinking what a challenge it would be to keep fish fresh with so few customers available to eat it. We did inquire about the alligator on the menu and were assure that it too was very fresh, having just been shipped in from Indiana or Illinois. (Lest you forget, Bentley's is in southern Florida). The Bentley's menu advertises that this establishment has been voted a top restaurant in Florida 12 years running, but mercifully does not state which years or which decade that occurred. Believe me, it is not a top restaurant in Florida or for that matter the strip of road on which it is located.

3 Thank Steven D
None
“Great food, rare types of fish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

This place is upstairs on the main overseas highway. We ate with a large group of people. They had a rare fish, I am told, on the menu called Hog fish. We had it prepared with mussels. It was great. The service was excellent and the prices reasonable.

Visited January 2013
The Florida Keys
“Embarassing to the Keys”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

As a local living here in the Keys for 21 years, my Bentley’s experience was so bad I felt an obligation to warn visitors and other locals about the dismal experience I just had. This place used to be great. When I have to apologize to my guests and come home so frustrated that I want to tell others who rely on Trip Advisor for recommendations, I know I have had a bad meal. It is an understatement to say I was disappointed and embarrassed. I felt ripped off. We brought our own catch in to be cooked. We were charged an outrageous price, served wilted salads, and endured repeated mistakes from a new waiter (he was nice, but… it could not make up for the substandard meal). One person ordered off the menu and it was a wad of tasteless pasta (no sauce, no anything) lumped on top of 5 shrimp. When we got the bill, 3 of us checked it because we couldn’t believe it (when you bring in your own catch you think you might save a penny or two). Eek! Please, Keys visitors, we have so many better restaurants to visit. Do not waste your time or your money here.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Lulu120
Tavernier, Florida
“Heavy cream and butter overload”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

The appetizers, seared ahi tuna and fish dip were very good. The meals themselves were overwhelmed by by heavy sauces and garlic that oozed puddles of butter on your plate. No one in our party could taste the fish. Very disappointing at $30+ per plate.

• Visited January 2013