“Nice little place”

History of Diving Museum
Ranked #3 of 59 things to do in Islamorada
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Museum is dedicated to collecting, preserving, displaying, and interpreting artifacts, antiques, books, documents, photographs, and oral history relative to the History of Diving. We tell the international story of man's attempts to explore, understand, and venture under the sea. We also celebrate the special role that South Florida and the Florida Keys played in this story. The Florida Keys History of Diving Museum is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational institution focused on the Story of Man's Quest to Explore Under the Sea. The majority of the Museum's artifacts have been provided through the generous support of its founders, Drs. Joe and Sally Bauer, who hold one of the largest collection of historic diving equipment and research documents in the world.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Kankakee, IL
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Nice little place”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a small but packed museum. Learned things about the history of diving I did not know before. Whole thing could be toured in less than 2 hours if you like reading all the information there.

2 Thank KankakeeMom

• Polish first
Des Moines, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Must Sea!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The very best accumulation of dive history and equipment anywhere. Well worth the price of admission.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Mike M
Ashland, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So interesting!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was an accidental find on the way to Ann's Beach (not really a beach in the New Jersey/Delaware, Maryland sense...). FULL of diving memorabilia and history. Highly recommended!

1 Thank Roseann W
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Diving Utopia”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I have visited the History of Diving Museum twice now and it only keeps getting better. As a diver for over 40 years, I feel as if I am entering a Diving Cathedral every time I go though the "hatch". I always look for the old gear I had in the early days and all the gear I dreamed about using when I was a kid. If you are a diver or would like to be, th is is a must see. The people are extremely nice and hospitable!

1 Thank Raymond J
Saint Louis, Missouri, Usa
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“really cool!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Easy to spend 2 hours in this place. From the outside, it doesn't look all that big but on the inside it is packed full of interesting artifacts and equipment. I worked offshore in the oilfields as a diver 30 yrs ago and my daughters got a chance to see first hand what I did and the equipment I used…yeah, my spot on the cool-o-meter increased significantly!