“If you are a Diver don't pass up on this....”

History of Diving Museum
Ranked #3 of 63 things to do in Islamorada
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Museum is dedicated to collecting, preserving, displaying, and interpreting artifacts, antiques, books, documents, photographs, and oral history relative to the History of Diving. We tell the international story of man's attempts to explore, understand, and venture under the sea. We also celebrate the special role that South Florida and the Florida Keys played in this story. The Florida Keys History of Diving Museum is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational institution focused on the Story of Man's Quest to Explore Under the Sea. The majority of the Museum's artifacts have been provided through the generous support of its founders, Drs. Joe and Sally Bauer, who hold one of the largest collection of historic diving equipment and research documents in the world.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 17 August 2014

It is not all that expensive 12 bucks, and the history contained within is a fascinating look at man’s attempts to explore the ocean. As a diver for the past thirty years it took me way back. I loved all the helmets from around the world and the super deep dive suits. I always wondered what you would do if you in one of those suits and down about 100 feet and you got a nose itch. Lots to see here the owner has obviously put a lot of love into this. Take your time and feel the history and courage that surrounds you. I will go back again.

1  Thank JOHN M

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is a gem of a museum. I didn't know much about the history of diving, and I learnt a lot. The exhibit takes you through the a timeline of history of diving from the very early days (pre-historic) to today. There is an impressive collection of diving masks and suits. The small gift shops has interesting souvenirs as well as expensive artifacts of you are a serious collector.

1  Thank sbeauchesne
Reviewed 10 August 2014

For those who enjoy scuba diving or history, this is a fun place that is inexpensive and does not take long to visit. It was interesting & educational about diving and would appeal to children as well (except possibly very young).

1  Thank Eve M
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I enjoyed learning about the history of diving at this museum. The info was cleverly displayed and I was amazed at the amount of historical diving equipment amassed in one place. I would recommend this museum to anyone even remotely interested in diving. Those early diving inventions were gutsy, to say the least!

1  Thank Judiemur
Reviewed 27 July 2014

If you love to scuba dive, you will love this museum. We spent several hours there, and there were only 3 other people there while we were there. We spent plenty of time looking at each exhibit, and enjoyed it so much. It was a great learning experience for my sons (and Me too!) and they really want to go back there when we visit the Keys again. Very family friendly.

2  Thank Nancy E