“Staff doesnt live up to quality of the property”
Review of Cheeca Lodge & Spa

Cheeca Lodge & Spa
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Miami, FL
“Staff doesnt live up to quality of the property”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We typically stay at the Hawks Cay resort to get away from Miami but read reviews and decided to try somewhere else. Feeling confident that the resort would live up to the reviews and given the attentive responses by management on this site we booked a weekend and were very disappointed but fell in love with the room and property.

The room was designed very well but the stains on the bedcover and pillows detracted from the overall experience. Asked for a room on the upper floors away from the elevator and received a room on the first floor next to the elevator. Spoke to 2 different front desk personnel and they were disinterested and never received any communication from upper management. I'm sure they will respond to this review but its all spin. Only the concierge showed concern on our departure but it was too little too late.

Strongly suggest you dine elsewhere too, food was bland at best and when I requested a surprise dessert for my wife's birthday the waiter came to the table and said " I hear its someone's birthday, want dessert?". I suggest Morada Bay or Mile Marker 88 for dinner and Lorelie for quick bits and music.

If the staff was as good as the property this would be 5 star resort but apparently ownership changes have negatively affected the quality of the stay.

On our way out we were looking for alternative places to stay on our next visit and found a hidden gem, the Moorings Village and Spa. Its directly north of the Cheeca and for a little more money you get a private residence on a beautiful private beach. Staff was great, property was well maintained and you get complete privacy without the visual and audible clutter of a resort.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael F
CheecaSales, Director of Sales at Cheeca Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write. We are very glad you fell in love with the property and your room. We are very sorry we could not move you to a room on a higher floor away from the elevator. If we could have accommodated your request, we would have done so promptly. We also apologize that your server did not surprise your wife with a birthday dessert. We are investigating this and we agree that we should have handled that better. It sounds like you enjoy our little island haven of Islamorada, and hope you come back soon. Please consider staying here again. Thanks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (968)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Overall the facility is clean, well run and nicely located. We stayed in one of the ocean view cottages and found it a bit dated, not enough receptacles, plumbing didn't work properly, carpet was dirty and generally not what you'd expect for 600 USD a night. The thing that really ruined if for us is they use the beach in front of these cottages for events, we came home tired and looking forward to a quiet evening on the screened in deck to find 15 tables set up for a dinner conference, two 15 inch loud speakers only 10 feet from our deck! To top it off, a club next to the property blasts music Friday and Saturday nights till after midnight. We won't return, for that kind of money I would accept normal resort noise but not what we experienced.
There beach isn't swimmable due to rocks and seaweed but pretty. Overall I was very disappointed in this place and won't return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south west end have to be quieter even though they're nearer the pool. I didn'...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank realpakjohn
We are delighted you found Cheeca to be clean, well-run and nicely located. We sincerely apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced and that an event was scheduled in front of your bungalow. We try very hard to avoid this unfortunate situation. It does not happen very often and we are so sorry it happened to you.
Cheeca’s beach is indeed pretty and is typical of any beach in the Florida Keys, which are a string of tiny islands comprised of ancient coral rock. The only living coral reef in the continental U.S. is located just off our shores. The reef is surrounded by crystal clear waters and creates spectacular fishing, snorkeling and diving adventures, but it also prevents surf-like waves from reaching our shores. The waters off our beach are also extremely shallow, but there is a ladder at the end of our 525’ wooden fishing pier and the water is deep enough to swim in down there.
Thank you for your feedback, and we hope you will consider a return visit in the future.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

I read these reviews and wonder where I stayed. People, unless you are in the main hotel, you will not share the warmth of these reviews. And if you are in the building by lagoon or tennis....you know the cheap $490 rooms...before add ons... You will see what I mean. There are two hotels here, entirely different that don't come thru in these reviews. Outside of the main hotel you have very dated, and dark suites that are far from the great old days they once knew. It's not that they are dirty, they're just beat. Rust stains in the tub, poorly lit and dreary. Big room (suite) doesn't trump this. Time to spend the money on making the entire hotel live up to your pricing.
And you still have a horribly poor service problem in your restaurants and in room service. While your bartenders are being wonderful to the single girls they are trying to impress, people are waiting for ice and to spend money. I never have seen a bar server find it more important to finish an extendedly long story in lieu of paying attention to who might want service...right next to them. Aughh! And you know it doesn't end there.breakfast will frustrate you while you wait for refills, your meal, or your server at all.
I'm done here, last visit I heard the same tired response that they are "working on better systems and training". Maybe management should revisit how they manage this property. So if you stay here and in the main hotel, say so in your reviews, so people don't confuse it with the rest of the hotel please.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CliveWatkins
We read your review with great sadness. In addition to our beautiful accommodations in the main lodge, we have king rooms, one and two-bedroom suites in three areas on our 27-acre, lushly landscaped property: the golf course, the tennis courts and the lagoon near the spa. Some have kitchens and all have screened patios for our guests’ enjoyment. Many of these rooms have undergone a complete refurbishment over the last few months. We are disappointed that your room did not live up to your expectations.
We do apologize for the service issues you experienced and are investigating this. Your comments are particularly stinging as you are a valued repeat guest. We hope you will consider another visit here, and we thank you for writing.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 February 2014

LIKES: Beautiful grounds and water views and plenty of chairs along the shore which meant that you did not have to "fight" for a spot in the sun. We went for a quick getaway to enjoy warmer weather and Cheeca delivered in that regard. I participated in a "yoga on the beach" class which was fun, but I was surprised at the surcharge of $10 on top of the daily resort fee. The room (Resort view King Suite) was very spacious with a fabulous screened in porch which was great for enjoying morning coffee from, but there is no "Resort view." Just palm trees blocking your view from the street. The bathroom was also very spacious with a large soaking tub, separate shower and separate sinks which was very nice. Ample ceiling fans kept air flow moving on warm nights. The pools are nice and heated and the gym facility equipment was also nice.

DISLIKES: Service here is lacking immensely. This is not a 4 or 5 star service experience. For example, I included in our reservation that my mom and I were celebrating our birthdays this past weekend which is why we booked this get-away. There was no mention or acknowledgement of this the entire stay EVEN AFTER I reminded the registration clerk that we were visiting to celebrate. She didn't even offer a simple "Happy Birthday." Housekeeping is also poor. There were dirty dishes that sat outside our hallway from other guests for 2 days attracting bugs and my mom tripped on champagne glass lying in the parking lot. In our bathtub, though beautiful and I was excited to use, there was a disgusting rust stain at the bottom that made the tub unusable. No turn-down service occurred the first night we stayed, though there was turn-down the second, however they threw the comforter and pillows on floor. Weird? Also, no help with luggage to the room and a severe lack of front desk employees to assist with check-in and check-out led to long lines. Finally, we decided to try breakfast at the hotel our last day instead of going to our favorite find across the street (Bob's Bunz--must go!). I asked for a table on the patio overlooking the water (there were 5+ available) and the hostess gave me the hardest time and rolled her eyes when I insisted because she had to go clear off extra place settings. In short, because we booked on a Jetsetter deal and did not pay full price I guess we got what we paid for? However I would never, ever pay full price to stay here. I have had the privilege of staying in multiple wonderful hotels around the world and the Cheeca is definitely not one of them.

FOOD TIPS: Do not waste your money eating much here (caveat: we did not try dinner b/c breakfast & lunch were so disappointing). The breakfast buffet is a rip-off and the a la carte menu nothing special (pizza, burgers, salad). My mom ordered a "belgian waffle with fresh berries" which sounded delicious but when it arrived it was nothing more than an eggo-style flat waffle (no belgian here!) with 2 strawberries and a blackberry...for $16. ridiculous. You are much better off going across the street to Bob's Bunz for delicious house-made pastries and a cozy home-town feel breakfast for half the price! We were lucky to have had friends recommend a few other places to eat in Islamorada. We went to Wahoo's one night for a casual meal and loved the fried pickles! I had fish tacos (amazing) and my mom had a fabulous shrimp scampi. The next night we drove down to Mile Marker88. Loved the atmosphere and live music. Food was just okay, but good enough given the wonderful guitar player we got to listen to sitting by the water. Key lime pie here was amazing though!

Room Tip: Consider an ocean view since I think this is the only thing that would be worth paying extra for. H...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your insightful feedback about your likes and dislikes about Cheeca. We do try and acknowledge our guests’ birthdays, anniversaries and other special events and feel very badly that we missed helping celebrate your special day. We also apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced, and the wait to check in during this busy winter season. Please know that each and every one of our guests is special to us and we treat everyone the same, no matter how they make their reservations. Our restaurant servers and housekeepers have no access to booking information about our guests. We are so sorry for the service issues you experienced. We are glad you enjoyed some of the other eateries in Islamorada, and really hope you will be back for another visit.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 11 February 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The lush grounds and hard sand beach are tasteful, very well kept and gorgeous day and night. The ambiance is posh. The inclusive activities are many. The un-renovated units (like the "Presidential" building) need to be renovated .... NOW! Our suite was very clean and service was prompt and courteous. But the furnishing were old and worn. The paint/plaster around the windows were peeling. The kitchenette had no utensils of any kind other than a coffee maker. Ice was outside, down a flight of stairs in the garage. No soft drinks or snacks were available, other than room service or two blocks away across the busy highway at the trading post. The entry door had no weatherstripping and sound, daylight, rain or insects could have easy entry. The interior, flat "luan" doors did not match the paneled entry door. The huge bath was mostly newer, but awkward. The pristine beach is not "swimable" .... no water access is available except at the pool(s). This was NOT a terrible stay!!!! But for the money .... the proof is in the details. They almost delivered. But not quite. Would we stay again? Maybe .... but NOT for $400+ per night!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Armbycvg
We were thrilled to read that you found our lushly landscaped gardens gorgeous day and night, the ambiance luxurious and also that we offer a plethora of exciting activities here at Cheeca. That’s great! We apologize for the problems with your room and have scheduled some renovations to occur soon. Please know that a quick phone call to housekeeping would have resulted in the delivery of any kitchen items we have available, and our room service staff is happy to deliver ice as well. Please consider a return visit soon; we are confident we can deliver the level of product and service you expect.
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Found my reservation cancelled upon arrival. Concierge could not explain why. Took an hour for hotel to straighten out a mess they were responsible for. Nice room with ocean view if I craned my neck around a corner. Staff made amends to me on first night with a free bottle of champagne and delicious chocolate covered strawberries. Saturday evening dinner for 12 people was pretty poor service. My plate (a simple steak) was delivered about the time everyone else was had eaten their meal. Wasn't charged for the meal, though. Had to move to another room on the last night there. See comment about that particular room! Do not let them put you in a room numbered in the 900's. Including meals, I probably spent close to $3,000 at resort for a 4 night stay. I do not think I will ever be a returning guest.

Room Tip: Had to extend stay for 1 night. Hotel made me move to a ratty room on night 4. Room balcony faced...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathy H
We are so sorry for the problem you had with your reservation upon check-in. This is highly unusual, but we are glad we were able to find you a nice room. We also apologize that your steak was delivered late. We are working hard to address these issues. It is unfortunate we had to move you to another room on your last night; if there was any way around this we would have done it. We feel badly that we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for writing.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and I spent 8 days at Cheeca Lodge in February, 2014. As advertised, accommodations were excellent, the grounds very nice, and the staff first rate. What bothered me is the unethical price gouging the Lodge uses. When we booked our room, we were aware of the expensive rates, and when we checked in, this was confirmed. However, on check-out, we noticed an added fee NEVER MENTIONED TO US PREVIOUSLY. This was a $39 “Resort Fee” added EVERY DAY. When I complained, I was told it covered the many activities offered free (hah!). Not only did we not partake of any of these activities, we were unaware that we would be charged anyway. When I balked at check-out to pay this, the manager effectively said: too bad, but that’s our policy, and we have your credit card to charge anyway; deal with it. There are plenty of nice resorts to choose that do business in an ethical manner to choose the Cheeca Lodge.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank Murray S
It was very nice to hear that you were pleased with our excellent accommodations, nice gardens and our first-rate staff. We were very surprised to learn that you were not aware of our $39 per night resort fee, which is explained upon check-in and described on a computer screen that each guest must view and sign to complete the check-in process. Additionally each guest is given a map of the property at check-in, which also details the inclusions in the resort fee. The resort fee includes tennis, golf, fishing rods, sea kayaks, bicycles, shade cabanas, fitness center, DVD movie rentals, in-room coffee, tea and bottled water, wireless internet, guest internet station with DSL and printer, local and 800 calls, guest fax services, daily newspaper delivery, local shuttle service and valet or self-parking.
Unfortunately, some third party companies that make reservations on Cheeca’s behalf are not always as clear as we are about the resort fee. We feel very badly that you were not aware of this fee, but we also feel very strongly that we do explain the resort fee upon check in and always do business in an ethical manner. We invite you to come back again soon so we can make this right with you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
Casa Morada
Casa Morada
#2 of 19 in Islamorada
Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost

Been to Cheeca Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!