“Used to be the best.”
Review of Cheeca Lodge & Spa

Cheeca Lodge & Spa
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Having just read quite a lot of recent reviews for Cheeca I am amazed at such negative comments. We have stayed at Cheeca Lodge probably about six times for two weeks at a time and it was faultless. We loved the place, the staff could'nt do enough. It has always been expensive but now it is out of our reach so when we come to the Keys we stay somewhere else. What has happened? Such a gorgious location and the hotel used to cater for fishermen but not any longer. It seems to cater for companies that put their workers up for maybe a weekend and it does'nt seem to matter about people who are there for holidays. I would lover to stay at Cheeca again but their rates are too expensive for us now and sounds like the service that used to be exceptional is'nt the same any longer. What a shame. We have met some lovely people here that we still keep in contact with in the USA and they can't afford to come back. Cheeca has had quite a few owners since we first stayed here and everyone thinks they can do better. If it is'nt broke don't try and fix it.. I know things had to change since the fire but please, please lets have Cheeca how it used to be. I have given Cheeca five stars because that is what is used to be.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 May 2010

Nice location in the Florida Keys, Worst experience in terms of service that I have ever had. Lobby/Front Desk service is diplorable. Agents were universally rude. Asked them to do 3 things ie getting reservations --- failed at all 3!. Room and food were expensive but average in quality. Service was the worst I have experienced. Place is understaffed and the staff also complained a lot. Seems to cater to weddings and convention events and ignore other hotel guests. Charge exorbitant "Resort Fees" of $39 per person per night for amenities that are commonly free or included at other hotels. Each day would close off parts of the resort for special events ie the entire beach.
Please avoid this one and don't make the mistake that we did !

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stella041
Reviewed 13 May 2010

This is possibly the worst experience we have every had in a hotel. So embarrassing that it is in the same state as where we live (We are from the Miami area and had gone there for a 'special weekend'). Pretentious, overpriced, inadequate customer care, over-inflated egos of hotel staff who 'served' us (or was it the other way round? For example, being left to wait until 9pm for a table and then treating us as though we were 'lucky' to get one, even though we had a reservation around 8pm and had a young child with us. The rudest hosts we have ever met!). Admittedly we are not part of the jet set that Cheeca may be used to, but we did pay well over 1000 dollars for a 2 night stay, so we weren't as 'trivial' as the staff made us feel). Lets hope that market forces come to bear on this hotel and force it to shape up, or move out. BTW, we complained on several occasions -- not a word of apology or feedback. So my advice is to save your money, go elsewhere -- anywhere.... Minor point: Food is over-priced and mediocre.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank neilmaria
Reviewed 12 May 2010

The Cheeca Lodge is gorgeous and the food is incredible. The service was awful. You could wait for 25 minutes waiting for an iced tea. And that was on a good day.
Checking in, the lobby is gorgeous, we were greeted with champaign, etc. But once you are in, it's constant frustration. It's like viewing a castle from the outside- and being forced to live inside a dump! Despite best attempts to be positive and constructive we have given up. We will never come back. Beware.

3  Thank lanerikeel
Reviewed 10 May 2010

After reading almost all of the Cheeca reviews on Tripadvisor, my husband and I decided to spend part of our Honeymoon hwew. Bad Decision. I'll be fair, Cheeca does get one thing right - the grounds are immaculate BUT the service is just plain horrible. I really really wanted to like Cheeca because we both found it relaxing to sit by water, read a book, nap, etc., but I advise all readers to think twice about staying here.

We arrived a bit early on check-in day and had to wait for 2.5 hrs to get in our room, as it wasn't ready. They said they would alert their staff that we arrived so they could expedite the cleaning and get us in our room as quickly as possible. In addition, they took our mobile number and advised us that they would call us when the room was ready.....2.5 hrs later, my husband went to follow up and coincidentally, the room was ready....not a huge deal because we did get there early but while we waited for over 2 hrs, not one person came and checked on us, offered us a drink...nothing.

We stayed in one of the beach bungalows and were pleasantly suprised when we got in the room....it was nice but unfortunately, stunk like cigar smoke. We walked on the balcony and found a ton of cigar ashes and probably 20 matches....again, not a huge deal but sadly, the room stunk like rotten smoke. We called to advise the front desk and they did come and clean / spray the room (Anna did a great job on getting this resolved).

Unfortunately, our clean smelling room was invaded by large ants later that night. We called the front desk and were advised that 1) the manager was not on duty so this would have to wait until the morning and 2) that we would have to kill any ants that we saw that night and 'we can deal with this in the morning' - really? I can assure you that I did not sleep well that night knowing that a large ant would most likely be crawling up the bed. I didn't get a call in the morning so we stopped by the front desk early that afternoon - not sure who I spoke with (possibly a manager) and was pleasantly suprised when he confirmed that someone came out and sprayed. In addition, he sent the on-site engineer to the room to see if there were any other problems. We didn't see any ants that night but I did see a few ant carcuses the next morning.

Lastly, our check out process was a nightmare....we requested a late check-out and I was promptly advised by Christine, the supposed manager on duty, that because she made a mistake when staffing, she didn't have adequate staff members to accomodate our request. Again, I would have been more accepting of this answer had she not told me that I needed to come to her office, sit there for an hr while she explained to me the hotel staffing process. No thanks, Christine.

After all of my ranting, my final piece of advice is if you want top notch scenary with less than acceptable service for a hefty price, Cheeca is for you. We honestly had more fun off-property. Our favorite places to eat were the Hungry Tarpoon and Lor-e-Lei. Also, if you're an outdoorsy-type, definitely check out Backwoods Cowboy....great stuff and great people.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KKD0430
Reviewed 10 May 2010

The sushi restaurant is good and a couple of staff members are really pleasant. Everything else was so bad i can't believe it. I am lucky enough to travel regularly and i have never encountered such a poorly run establishment ever. I'm sure there will be fans of this place but i felt i had to join tripadvisor purely to say how poor the standards are here.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank florence15
Reviewed 9 May 2010

This place was fantastic from the very beginning..We chose an ocean front bungalow which was a little separated from the other rooms. Out our window was the beach, the ocean and a great view within 30 steps from our room. We were very happy with our room. It was very comfortable and had a great bathroom and outdoor areas. Each day we had all of the amenities available with no trouble. We biked, boated, snorkeled etc. All of the meals we had were fantastic. We ate at the sushi restaurant and had breakfast at Atlantic every morning. The service was very efficient and friendly if a little slow in the am. All of the staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The bar was awesome. Drinks were a little pricey but we knew that going in. The pools were great esp. the saline pool for adults only which was separated and quiet. You could get alcohol or water from anywhere and didn't have to lift a finger. Other reviewers stated staff was searching for tips everywhere. I never saw that. I saw friendly young people just wanting to please those on vacation. We walked or biked to Morado Bay, Lorelies, the nearest bakery, and Green Turtle Inn. The food in this area was fabulous. It was a bit pricey but we expected that going in. I would highly recommend this spa/hotel and all of the restaurants mentioned. We had an awesome 3 nights 4 days vacation for a total of $2500,00 and I cannot wait to go back. Please take me back to Checca!

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#5 of 19 in Islamorada
Ocean House
Ocean House
#1 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Cheeca Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!