“No problems”
Review of Sunset Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Sunset Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 December 2007

Looking at some of the past reviews, and as I am planning my next trip to the Keys I must say Sunset Inn was not bad.We stayed a full week at Sunset Inn.Our room was NOT dirty,housekeepers came by every morning and brought clean towels,the pool was clean,staff was friendly.This is not a 5 star hotel, and for the price you shouldnt expect to have the same type of amenities.For my husband and myself this was perfect.We had a room with a kitchenette, never even used the pool.The place is perfect for those of you who need a place to sleep and eat an occasional meal,Economical so you can spend your money on fun and souveniers!!!We plan to stay here again.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank Karin71
There are newer reviews for Sunset Inn

Reviewed 17 February 2007

Unfortunately, the place did NOT resemble the pictures that were posted on the website. The outside of the building was quite run down and in need of repair. The room itself, was quite awful. For the price, I expected some comfort and a few amenites--especially cleanliness. THe bathroom was dirty and the towels had not been changed and were obviously used ( I won't ellaborate) The walls were bare, the beds were sparsely covered with sheets so thin, you could see the mattress underneath--which were quite stained. The floors were also dirty and there were small holes in the curtains.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank gogogogoVirginia
Reviewed 8 February 2007

Me and my friend booked a room with kitchenette for three nights at the beginning of Feb 2007. Cost was $80 per night. From outside, the place looked OK, but the pinkish color is pretty weird. In general the motel needs investment for some serious face lift.
First thing when I entered the room was a terrible smell of humidity and cigarettes smoke. There was an ash tray inside, so that means people before us have smoked heavily inside the room. The space inside looks pretty generous but can definitely benefit from a face lift and updates. The maids could also do a much better job. Ironically, there was an empty envelope for maid tips! Did not see any reason to leave any tip. There was dust pretty much everywhere and the carpet, well I was not comfortable walking on my bear feet. Bathroom was pretty basic and again old and tired. Water pressure was OK. There is also a pool, but did not see anyone using it. Nor that I was attracted or curious to check it out.
$80 was pretty high for what we got, but in the high season everything more than doubles.
For just sleeping, I think the place is OK, but if it rains and you have to spend more time in the room, buy some scented candles from Walgreen or CVS and burn them while there, it helps with the smell inside.

Stayed: February 2007
4  Thank ftoader
Reviewed 31 August 2006

My friend and I stayed at the Sunset Inn for 4 days last week, and we had a great experience. We found a clean, comfortable, large room, a clean bathroom, new shower head, good water pressure, large closet area, large TV with (working) remote control, lamps over the beds, and clean (dust-free) carpet. The man at the front desk told us that every couple of weeks, he rents a carpet steamer and cleans the carpets of the vacant rooms. The room had a refrigerator with a small freezer (with ice tray) in the room, which came in very handy. We used the ice tray to make ice because unfortunately, they don't have an ice machine in the motel. The only other thing we wished we had was an iron. We didn't ask if they have one at the front desk, so they might have one available (we were visiting friends who live in Islamorada, and we just used their iron). The pool was very nice, and there are plently of lawn chairs around the pool. There isn't a lot of shade, but I managed to find a small patch every time we went to the pool. Mangrove Mike's Cafe, two storefronts down, serves large portions of good food at reasonable prices. We went there for breakfast several times. On our second-to-last day in Islamorada, Tropical Storm Ernesto began moving toward Florida, and there was an evacuation of all non-residents in the Keys. All hotels in the Keys were forced to close down, and the Sunset Inn refunded all of our money for the nights we weren't able to stay there. We really enjoyed staying at the Sunset Inn, mainly because we had a nice, comfortable, hassle-free room at a very low price.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jikinn
Reviewed 1 August 2006

I will write this review with two classes of people in mind. My wife and I are scuba divers who like to split our time between diving, romance, and visiting nearby attractions.

First, for those that will be on honeymoon, anniversary, or other trips where you will be spending quality time in the hotel room, we do not recommend that you stay at this hotel. You are setting yourself up for a big disappointment at an important time in your life. I know the cheap price is tempting but be forewarned.

My wife and I spent 5 nights at Sunset Inn in a supposedly non-smoking room. When we opened the door to our room we were immediately met with the acrid smell of cigarette smoke. Yes, for a fact, there are bugs! I saw them streaming around the walls in the bathroom. They were small and did not seem to be of the biting type, but it'll make your skin crawl the first night
you are there. Maid service is very poor. They ran out of fresh linen and we had to reuse our towels and wash cloths on two nights. To give you a better perspective, my wife and I, routinely stay at the Econo Lodge, Rodway Inn, Motel 8, type of hotels while on vacation because we had rather spend our money on restaurants, attractions, etc. Many are very simple but clean hotels, but Sunset Inn was unacceptable and a big disappointment. There is nothing romantic about it.

Lastly, for those that are divers, watersport adventurers, etc or on other trips where you are not looking for cozy accomodations but for a place to simply hang dive gear, wet suits, etc and who are looking for only a hot shower and a cheap place to sleep. For those type of travelers we do recommend Sunset Inn but with some caution as to not expect clean, neat, and tidy accommodations.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank martin00
Reviewed 29 May 2006

Too bad we didn't read the older reviews posted here. After hearing what a great deal these rooms were, we checked it out here on this site to make sure we weren't walking into a typical "motel". We only read the recent reviews and thought, "what a great deal!". Well, don't let these recent reviews fool you! I don't know where these people have stayed at but they defintely don't mind the motel slums. Listen to our reviews and the older ones from '03... this place was not even worth the price they charged us! And the maids wanted tips???? It was filthy, falling apart, paint peeling, doors falling apart or not shutting all the way, second hand smoke reeked the room day and night from the neighbors, I too got bed bug bites all over my arms and legs, grounds outside the rooms were littered with garbage and nasty looking chairs, the kitchenette and fridge were filthy, the toilet paper holder on the wall had pubic hairs all over it, room service was not given on one of our four days, towels were small, thin and we had to beg for more, bed sheets had someone else's hairs on it, patched up walls in the room and bathrooms, bed lamps were shorting out, TVs busted up and remotes not working, carpet looked like they were supposed to be red but were brown and very nasty looking, grout in bathroom was black, one of the box springs had nasty stains on the side of it, our two rooms had two entry doors- only one had a nice deadbolt on it, the other had a weak chain on it- I didn't get much sleep because of the noises at night and wondering if someone broke into the room. The smoke stench was so heavy that I had a headache every single day and my contact lenses even were ruined by the smoke. When we return to the Keys, we will definitely NOT stay at this motel and will definitely read all the reviews no matter how old they are!

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank Mickeymom1
A TripAdvisor Member
Miami, FL
Reviewed 23 March 2006

This was a very clean and spacious Motel...we rented 3 rooms (2 regular and 1 w/kitchenette) for 4 days and they all exceeded our expectations!! The sheets were all clean, small towels but they got the job done. Clean pool and clean all around! Very central to everything in Islamorada! We're definately staying there again!! MUST have breakfast at Mike's Cafe which is connected to the Motel. Huge portions and VERY VERY GOOD!!!

• Stayed: March 2006