“My Islamorada destination every time”
Review of Sunset Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Sunset Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Florida
“My Islamorada destination every time”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Found this gem when my son was a year old and have come back every trip to Islamorada. It is very family friendly. Every room opens to the Lovely pool, friendly helpful staff (Dennis has been right on with every recommendation). I love the old Florida and family appeal. Park right outside my door. The best location to beach, Lorelei and Mangrove Mikes Cafe. It is comfortable and clean. So it needs some renovation and repair, especially the bathrooms, but I will stay here for its charm over the Marriott any day! I am planning on my next trip there this summer. Boat trailer parking out back. The kitchenette was great when my son was little as well as the regular room. Best value in Islamorada

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
We are so glad you are pleased with us. We are the old Florida motel but that is what we like. We are not here to be the high priced motel that you can only afford one night. For those kind of prices you can stay 2 or 3 days with us.
We are in the process of doing upgrades to the motel. Last fall we did all new tile in the rooms and updated the kitchenettes. This spring we replaced several curtains. This fall we hope to start working on updating bathroom. This will be as time and money permits but want to at least start on them. Please come see us again and check out our progress.

Thanks for the Great reveiw.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is a true old world Florida hotel.The staff was amazing and went out of their way to accomodate us-beyond what one would expect ! The rooms are basic...but CLEAN. The pool and grounds are clean with an outstanding cafe on premise. I've heard of a few complaints on the web from people who think their getting a five star visit for such an amazingly affordable rate.You don't go to the keys to sit in a room!! The owners are among the nicest folks you will ever meet and will help you any way you can. Go ahead and pay $250 and up somewhere and let them bring you your $16 fruity drink in their white shorts-me....I'll be poolside,grilling up my catch,having a cold one at the Sunset Inn. Last time,1/2 the other guest came down and joined us....old Florida style,like it used to be !!!!!

Room Tip: Kichenettes available for a few bucks more with Winn Dixie about 6 miles out
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ken S
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thanks for the Great Revew. We are family owned and strive to be friendly and helpful. We love to see our guests make new friends around the pool Please come see us again soon and thanks again for the review.
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed for 7 days last year and going back again this year for another 7 days.
You can't beat the price. A friend of mine in Florida told me about this place and I'm glad she did. Pool is clean, Mangrove Mikes next door to eat and Lorelai down the back pathway.
Stay 7 and one night free also. Front desk great people. Saws lots of igaunas for the first time.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank faye b
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thanks for the Great review. The iguanas are still around. We work hard to keep the rooms clean. We are glad you were satisfied. Look foward to seeing you again Thanks for the revew.
Sunrise, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Hotel is inexpensive with very outdated furnishings. It is, however very clean. I wiped down the kitchen & bathroom counters with Clorox (I carry just in case) the rag was very clean, no stains, no dirt. We had a kitchenette with nice cabinet and clean utensils . The refrigerator was spotless. Bed was comfortable and sheets were very clean. Towels were skimpy/too light not good bath towels. We took own shampoo & dryer. They supplied plenty bath soup.
We stayed in room 115 and 123 and both were clean. Staff was nice and eager to help.
Pool was clean but the outer areas of hotel could use cleaning, Raking, sweeping of cigarette butts etc. Quiet 3 nights. Not the Hilton but If on a budget this is the place to come. We will be back. Don't like the pink & blue paint. Rooms need uplifting paint job.

Room Tip: Rooms facing pool were quite.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank steelusa
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thank you for the review. Clean is what we strive for. I am glad you found both of your rooms to your satisfaction. We are contantly updating and upgrading as time and money permits. in the last year we did new tile floors, updated the kitchenette and bought new curtains. We have plans for doing some more things this fall, money and weather permitting. Please come see up again.
Walla Walla
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my week-plus stay. Friendly management, clean rooms, excellent pool and very importantly, probably the best stay for the money in the Keys. Those seeking all the amenities of a five-star luxury hotel should look elsewhere but for me, this was a perfect base to roam the keys from Largo to West, scuba dive on Largo and do it on an amazing budget as well. Even though the hotel was fully booked during the time I was there it seemed that I almost had the swimming pool to myself on a couple days I decided to be lazy and not travel around the keys. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I liked my room on the Overseas Highway side ground floor because near the vehicle and had a large...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thanks for the Great review. You are right, we are not 5 star but we do try to be clean and affordable. Come see us again soon and take advantage of our week pricing again of stay 7 night and pay for 6-- get one night free. Thanks again for the great review.
Kure Beach NC
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Ok, so when we first walked in we had a moment of uh-oh. It is an older hotel. But after 4 nights I can honestly say this place is a gem for the money. Nothing fancy but it is clean, the staff is super helpful and pleasant, beds were amazingly comfortable, air conditioner could freeze you out if you like, the pool is in the back and off the road and there is a great little restaurant next door that serves great breakfasts. Another feature that worked well was Wi-Fi. No issues with that at all. The TV was a bit sketchy (kept turning itself on at 5am) but we were there to dive and sleep so we just unplugged it and I am sure if we asked it would have been handled. The floors are ceramic tile which is great for wet or damp diving equipment. There were 8 of us in three different rooms (two regular and one kitchenette) and everyone was pleasantly surprised. And for the money.....you can't beat it. We will stay here whenever we dive.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thanks for the great reveiw. Yes we would have fixed the TV if we had known, sometimes they deside to die and need replacing. please let us know in the future of problems and we will resolve them. We are an older place but are contantly updating and replacing as time and money permits. We are great for Divers and Fishermen as well as people who just want to run around the Keys. We are not a Resort but we are clean and neet. Please come see us again on your next dive trip. Thanks for the nice review.
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed 30 May 2013

What some people fail to realize is that rain in south Florida is mainly composed of salt from our ocean and highly corrosive...and it doesn't normally rain straight down, it rains sideways. This can age a building and things like patio furniture quickly. My husband and I stayed at Sunset for three days earlier this week. We were greeted by Dennis at the front desk, who was more than happy to give us info on the area, good places to eat and things to do. Yes, it is an older building, the room furniture is somewhat dated and eclectic, but why are you on vacation and sitting in your room? The important things are covered - I have stayed at many 'high-end' hotels, and I have to say, some have not been as clean as the Sunset. The mattresses are glorious and the sheets sparkling white without the roughness and bleachy smell you get at most hotels. We stayed in the $85 double kitchenette and it was extremely roomy. The picture window (about 6'X12') looked out on the pool. Although we were too busy to use it, it looked very well maintained. Mangrove Mikes next store is a HUGE perk. I think earlier reviewers have been too hard on this place. It's squeaky clean and the price is right. I would definitely book again at the Sunset next time we wander south.

Room Tip: We stayed in RM 122, the last corner room. Not much street noise as it opens onto the pool. Big an...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Beth5789
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thanks for the great reveiw. You got the salt in the air right. Things do not last as long here do to the high salt. We are contently upgrading and updating as money and time allows. We are not the Hilton but are not charging those prices either. We work very hard at clean neat rooms.

Thank you again for the nice reveiw. Come see us soon.