“Great place”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great place”
Reviewed 15 May 2008

We stayed at the Tropical Cottages for one night in Feb 2008 on the way down to Key West. The hosts were fabulous. They were very welcoming and did everything to make sure we enjoyed our stay. Admittedly, there are no facilities on the property but if you want to experience some Florida Keys magic and have transport to get to restaurants etc, this is a great place to stay. I will go back!

• Liked — The hosts were very accommodating and ensured we had everything we needed know
  • Disliked — No facilities e.g. bar or restaurant
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
toronto
Reviewed 22 April 2008

This is a warning to everybody , dont go there .

The place is a few feet from the highway , most of the cottages look nothing like the one shown on the website .

The accomodation is just a selection of wooden sheds on gravel , theres is noise from the highway and from aircraft landing in the nearby airfield .

There are so many great places to stay in the keys , I just dont know why anybody would ever want to stay there.

As for the reviews on this site , I really cant believe that they are genuine.

Give this place a big , big miss.

When I got there after booking online , and saw the location and state of the place - there was a garbage bin from the next door bank literally 3 feet from my shed ( cottage ) door. I said I was not satisfied and their site description was completely innacurrate . I left and went down the road and got a fantastic 3 star hotel with , pool , beach and full facilities at the same price.

Tropical Cottages have still charged my card ! Crooks as well .

I have travelled worlwide , lived in mud huts in thailand and stayed in 5 start hotels , each has their charm , but this place was downright terrible.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank torontotrips

Travellers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Gainesville, FL
Reviewed 15 April 2008

I stayed at Tropical Cottages with my 2 teenage girls for 3 nights. The property hosts, Debbie & Harvey, were wonderful - so solicitous and accommodating. They really made us feel welcome and at home. They hosted cocktails (& refreshments suitable for my teens) on our first night and we got to meet the other guests. Our cottage had a microwave and full fridge, and was outfitted with plates, cups, etc. The property has bicycles to use, and a tandem kayak and canoe. I used a bicycle and the kayak. It is located in walking distance to an excellent yoga studio, if you're so inclined. We had excellent food at a number of local eateries, and especially enjoyed the deli on Colony Key and going to the beach at Sombrero Beach and CocoPlum Beach which had very few people and where we saw many wading birds and dolphins. Our trip to Pigeon Key was wonderful. The ride over on a boat was fun, and the guided tour was interesting and just enough for our group. We loved Marathon, and Tropical Cottages!

• Liked — old Florida feel & wonderful hosts
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada/Mexico/Florida Keys
Reviewed 2 March 2008

Loved every minute I stayed here, my cottage was decorated in vintage Florida Keys style, a luxurious king size bed with lots of pillows and nice linens. I had a wicker sofa with pillows as well as a tiny table outside my front door, a great place to stargaze at night. Everything you need is on the property, outdoor hot tub, hammocks, bikes, a regular 5PM "Happy Hour" most evenings when the hosts pour great drinks on the house. I met lots of fun people while I stayed there and the hosts were quick to help me in many ways, I was treated like family. The Tropical Cottage team are available to assist you 24 hours around the clock, and they could teach a PhD class to people in the hospitality industry on how to take care of guests. I can't wait to get back to the Cottages.

• Liked — The Staff, Decor, Location, Amenities, Peace and Quiet
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
Devils Lake ND
Reviewed 23 February 2008

My husband and I spent 3 nights here. The owners are very warm, friendly and accomodating. They were attentive to any requests and were very helpful in making decisions about where to get a good meal or suggestions on different things to do in the area. The cottage we had was very nice. They had taken great care to make sure everything that you need is available for you.

An excellent value for the price!

• Liked — Individual cottages
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Rehovot, Israel
Reviewed 20 February 2008

Tropical Cottages was up for sale as part of an estate when we stayed there. I hope the new owners don't change anything, as our one-night stay there was very positive.

The managers, who are also involved in the sale, were an extremely pleasant and friendly couple, who went out of their way to be helpful.

The cabin we rented was very small, but very well appointed, and equipped with the best of everything, including a wall-mounted flat-screen television and a stereo system. We had a very comfortable four-poster bed, with four good pillows and a lightweight comforter. There were two upholstered wing chairs. There was no dining area in the room (no space for it), but the cottage had two patios, a small one with two chairs in front, and a larger one on the side (which was entered through sliding glass doors) with a table and four chairs. The room had an air conditioner and ceiling fan,

The kitchenette was all on one wall, and consisted of a sink, mini-fridge and a combination microwave-toaster -- new and modern looking. The cabinets contained dishes and glassware, including wine glasses.

The bathroom had a double shower with two showerheads -- one at each end. I had never seen that before. The towels were bery large, thick and soft. An iron and small ironing board were in the bathroom closet. The bathroom also had its own air conditioner and ceiling fan.

The day we were there, at 5:00 p.m. the motel had a "happy hour" with free drinks and munchies for the guests. We were the only ones who showed up aside from the managers, and we had a nice conversation with them.

There are bicycles available for guests and a canoe and kayak. When we indicated that we wanted to use the kayak, one of the managers gave us some beach towels, and the other brought the kayak down to the water and helped us into it.

There is a large outdoor hot tub on the premises,

This was a great place to stay!

• Liked — furnishings, friendliness of managers, hot tub
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Tropical Cottages? Share your experiences!