“Flies Ants & Rain water - Needs many fixtures”
Review of Tropical Cottages

Tropical Cottages
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Reston, VA, USA
“Flies Ants & Rain water - Needs many fixtures”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

As soon as I checked into the room I found a fly buzzing around and was also stunned by the condition of the cottage. I don't know if my expectations were high about this cottage, but I had a very good experience when I previously stayed in one.

Cottage looked like it definitely need some renovation. Bed was hard but I was OK with it. I could sleep fine as it was a tiring day.

Bathroom was very small which I thought is OK but the shower room is not a fit for even a single standard size person. To figure out how to get warm water was a big hassle and then the water pressure wont even wash a fly! Terrible shower!

Ordered a pizza in the night and left it in the couch to heat up next morning. Found out that the pizza was being enjoyed by ants in the morning.

It started pouring down in the morning and voila we have water in the cottage drenching our luggage and footwear. If we waited for an hour more we would have been walking in puddles of water. We decided to get into the car and leave right away!

Not at all happy with the stay and not worth the price paid. Don't know how other accommodations in the area fare compared to this.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VamsiKAnne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Ingram, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon last week. It is an excellent little place to stay while remaining on a budget. the rooms were clean and fresh. The staff helped us overcome a few minor problems and were professional about everything. The set up was perfect for our needs. little kitchenette with a frig and microwave and light dish set up. Were able to picnic some lunches and breakfast to splurge on dinners. Marathon had a lot to do here and is also close enough to be a jump off point for Key West proper. All in all this was a great place to stay and we are already looking to book a family trip here next year... Great job guys

Room Tip: We loved cottage #4
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights during the middle of the week. Here are my observations:

1. The wall unit air conditioner was not strong enough to cool the room. Even on full blast, set to the coldest setting, the room would not cool down below 85 degrees during the day. It got cool enough at night, though. The air conditioner was so loud, we slept with earplugs.
2. The room had a double burner hot plate. Only one burner heated up.
3. The maid did not set foot in the room during our entire stay. She did not empty the garbage cans, leave clean towels, make the bed, or even sweep the tile floor. She did not come in the room at all!
4. The furniture was stained. I did not have a blacklight, but I'm sure the stains would have glowed. Just a bit gross.
5. The bugs were minimal. I saw exactly two black ants in the kitchen. There was a dead fly on the floor of the bathroom. I only had one spider crawl on me while in the room.
6. The office does not open before 9:00 am. We wanted to check out at 9:00 am, but nobody was there yet. We waited around for 5 minutes, rang the doorbell, and even called the phone number posted on the door, but nobody was available. I could not complain about the room or even turn in the room keys because management was simply not there. We found the maid, but had to speak to her in Spanish because she doesn't know any English. I asked her whether anyone was working in the office, but she kept saying they would be there after 9:00. This was after 9:00. She offered to take the keys and turn them in for us.
7. The location was depressing. The view from the sliding glass door of our cottage was of the junkyard next door.

I was curious about this place, and I'm glad I satisfied that curiosity. However, I will not stay there again.

Room Tip: The remote will not turn the television on or off, but it works to change the channels and adjust th...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank weddingwife

Travellers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Palm Bay
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stayed in Cottage 4 for two nights last week. On the positive side, the room is spacious, kitchen is convenient with a refrigerator for beverages and also giving the room a more spacious feel. Bathroom is small but adequate. Water pressure and temperature were good. Bed was very comfortable.

On the negative side the sheets did not fit the bed. They were entirely too small. Every time you moved you were sleeping on the bare mattress. We kept waking all night trying to remake the bed because it was very lumpy. The other negative was the air conditioner - way to small for the size of the cabin. Then, to make matters worse, when we went out housekeeping shut the air off making the room like a sauna when we returned. It took forever to get the room cool again.

Correcting these issues would have made it a much more enjoyable stay and a higher rating!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jacqueline E
Eatontown, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We checked into Tropical Cottages number three yesterday June 12 and were informed by the desk at time of checkin that towels and wash clothes were not in the unit but would be dropped off within a short period of time. We found the accomodations satisfactory and what we expected and waited till after dinner some 4 hours later and checked with the office again and was informed that the needed items were on their way and would be supplied within the hour; they never appeared. It is now 7:55 am of the following day and the request still has not been satisfied, Unfortunately, the office doesn't open till 9 am at which time I will make my third request. Obviously we are not able to clean ourselves or take a shower until these items arrive.

We will advise on this site on further developments, but as of right now we are very disapponted at management's response.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Betty751
North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Very pleasant, no frills, off the beaten track - or at least it felt that way, even though it was just off the main Overseas Highway and we were there Memorial Day weekend. Quiet, Marathon location, basically in the middle of the Keys. Perfect location to enjoy a day jaunt to BUSY Key West and come back for a relaxed evening. Then venture out to other Key locations on other days. Local musicians at the bar/lounge area add to the casual charm.

Loved the "cottage" style rooms! We stayed in #9. Had everything we needed... Queen sized bed, roomy shower stall in bathroom, kitchenette with dishes, coffee pot, refrigerator, TV. Wifi available, but we couldn't pick up signal unless we were in the bar/lounge area outside the office, but hey! we were on vacation, why do we need to be "connected"!?

Definitely NOT a luxury resort, but it was exactly what we wanted. Small, cozy, friendly, casual. Their sign near the main road said "Tropical Cottages - a vintage Keys resort" (or something like that), and it fits perfectly!

FYI-no pool or restaurant on site

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 4dgirl
Margate, Florida
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Calm and restful. It is pleasantly attending. Quaint and quiet... of the main road. Don't miss Pidgeon Key... just down the road and a short boat-trip away. Plenty of good places to eat and/or shop for food in the vicinity.

Room Tip: Call direct for the best deal and information; leave the internet sites in the dust....!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family