“You get what you pay for.”
Review of Tropical Cottages

Tropical Cottages
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here once before in one of the actual cottages. Even though we had a problem with ants, the cottage was adorable. This time we were placed in the trailer at the end of the property. It was very old and falling apart. The shower was always clogged. The blinds were completely see through at night. The couch was dirty and cushion zippers broken. There was only one chair at the table which makes it difficult to eat dinner there. We spent most of the days out playing but probably stayed out longer just to avoid going back to the trailer. Wouldn't recommend this place and won't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank fln8tv
There are newer reviews for Tropical Cottages

Reviewed 23 July 2013

It was so much fun, the cottages are decorated and designed to give you a feel of the 1950's. The Tiki bar was so much fun, the people are wonderful. It was so nice to be located close to Bahia Honda and only 50 minutes from Key West.

1  Thank michael p
Reviewed 17 July 2013

What a dump. 72% satisfaction rate? Really? I can't believe that these satisfaction ratings were written by people who stayed here. Bugs everywhere, not enough water pressure to take a shower, sheets on bed were torn and wrinkled, and could not flush toilet, crap stayed in the commode the whole time we were there. We actually used the housekeepers storage room restroom the whole time we were there. And someone rated staff as friendly and corporative, we were told two times that a plumber would be there to repair the toilet, never happened. We would have left right after checking in. We had a niece down there staying somewhere else and she went out and found this place for us before our arrival and we didn't want to hurt her feelings. The people I talked to that were staying there at the time had the same thoughts as we did about this place. As a matter of fact a family left after about an hour there. My worst experience!!!

Room Tip: Look the room over very careful before putting down the money. LOOK at everything!!
5  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed 16 July 2013

As soon as I checked into the room I found a fly buzzing around and was also stunned by the condition of the cottage. I don't know if my expectations were high about this cottage, but I had a very good experience when I previously stayed in one.

Cottage looked like it definitely need some renovation. Bed was hard but I was OK with it. I could sleep fine as it was a tiring day.

Bathroom was very small which I thought is OK but the shower room is not a fit for even a single standard size person. To figure out how to get warm water was a big hassle and then the water pressure wont even wash a fly! Terrible shower!

Ordered a pizza in the night and left it in the couch to heat up next morning. Found out that the pizza was being enjoyed by ants in the morning.

It started pouring down in the morning and voila we have water in the cottage drenching our luggage and footwear. If we waited for an hour more we would have been walking in puddles of water. We decided to get into the car and leave right away!

Not at all happy with the stay and not worth the price paid. Don't know how other accommodations in the area fare compared to this.

1  Thank VamsiKAnne
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon last week. It is an excellent little place to stay while remaining on a budget. the rooms were clean and fresh. The staff helped us overcome a few minor problems and were professional about everything. The set up was perfect for our needs. little kitchenette with a frig and microwave and light dish set up. Were able to picnic some lunches and breakfast to splurge on dinners. Marathon had a lot to do here and is also close enough to be a jump off point for Key West proper. All in all this was a great place to stay and we are already looking to book a family trip here next year... Great job guys

Room Tip: We loved cottage #4
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights during the middle of the week. Here are my observations:

1. The wall unit air conditioner was not strong enough to cool the room. Even on full blast, set to the coldest setting, the room would not cool down below 85 degrees during the day. It got cool enough at night, though. The air conditioner was so loud, we slept with earplugs.
2. The room had a double burner hot plate. Only one burner heated up.
3. The maid did not set foot in the room during our entire stay. She did not empty the garbage cans, leave clean towels, make the bed, or even sweep the tile floor. She did not come in the room at all!
4. The furniture was stained. I did not have a blacklight, but I'm sure the stains would have glowed. Just a bit gross.
5. The bugs were minimal. I saw exactly two black ants in the kitchen. There was a dead fly on the floor of the bathroom. I only had one spider crawl on me while in the room.
6. The office does not open before 9:00 am. We wanted to check out at 9:00 am, but nobody was there yet. We waited around for 5 minutes, rang the doorbell, and even called the phone number posted on the door, but nobody was available. I could not complain about the room or even turn in the room keys because management was simply not there. We found the maid, but had to speak to her in Spanish because she doesn't know any English. I asked her whether anyone was working in the office, but she kept saying they would be there after 9:00. This was after 9:00. She offered to take the keys and turn them in for us.
7. The location was depressing. The view from the sliding glass door of our cottage was of the junkyard next door.

I was curious about this place, and I'm glad I satisfied that curiosity. However, I will not stay there again.

Room Tip: The remote will not turn the television on or off, but it works to change the channels and adjust th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank weddingwife
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stayed in Cottage 4 for two nights last week. On the positive side, the room is spacious, kitchen is convenient with a refrigerator for beverages and also giving the room a more spacious feel. Bathroom is small but adequate. Water pressure and temperature were good. Bed was very comfortable.

On the negative side the sheets did not fit the bed. They were entirely too small. Every time you moved you were sleeping on the bare mattress. We kept waking all night trying to remake the bed because it was very lumpy. The other negative was the air conditioner - way to small for the size of the cabin. Then, to make matters worse, when we went out housekeeping shut the air off making the room like a sauna when we returned. It took forever to get the room cool again.

Correcting these issues would have made it a much more enjoyable stay and a higher rating!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple