“It is a dump and they did not return my lost items after many calls. No responds from them.”
Review of Tropical Cottages

Tropical Cottages
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stay at this place based on the photos and reasonable price. We paid extra to get a bigger place. After we checked in, we were told that our lodge is ½ miles away from the office. We were shocked to find out the extra money we paid is a place next to highway and above the Tiki restaurant /bar. Load music was playing when we have to sleep. It is so unpleasant that we never wanted to stay around the place other than sleep.
It is even worse and made me very upset. I left a bag (make ups and jewelers )in the vanity draw. I called the office 6 times since and I still have not get it back. As soon as I found out I left the bag there, I called the office and the gentleman told me that he will call me back but he never did. Two days later, I called again and I was told that the place had not been rented out since we left and it was not cleaned yet so the item should be there. Again, no one call me back. Again, I called and this time the owner answered the phone and she told me that she will check it in the afternoon on her way home and let me know. Again, I did not hear from her or anyone. Since then, I have tried to call and left messages and no one call me back.
It is a dump place, and it is a place things were stolen and never, never stay there again even it is free!

Room Tip: Never be fooled by the pictures. Pay a few dollars more to stay somewhere else. It is not worth th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank rongrong00

Reviewed 6 January 2014

+ friendly helpful staff
+ cozy garden with hammocks
+ nearby Sombrero beach (good beach with free entrance and free parking)
+ better value for money than on key west
+ diner nearby
+ cute clean cottage
- thin walls: we could hear the neighbours

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bow E
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We stayed one night. Reasonable price for a decent value. The cottages are dated, and a bit worn. However, they are clean and comfortable. The grounds are nice, and we really enjoyed the hammocks and the tiki hut. All in all a pleasant stay for a reasonable price in a place where you could spend more for less.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ikennen
Reviewed 17 December 2013

It is a bit weird thinking that Tropical Cottages would be situated in the middle of the busiest stretch of highway right behind a busy bank (it really was awkward). The kitchenette was ok, although I wish there was something to cook in the cottage(other than a microwave) or a grill right outside. They lacked items to scrub dishes with. The place needed some dire maintenance. There was a dark hue over the deck we had. Cracks in the ceiling/walls. Staff charged our room prior to us even staying there (that was a first). The staff didn't show up until 9 am, which is weird for a hotel/motel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ramblinmanandwoman
Reviewed 21 November 2013

When we travel, my daughter and I like to get a feel for the essence of an area. Tropical Cottages in Marathon FL gave us just that! The cottages could easily be described as "beach comber shacks" and were clean, comfortable, and ... vintage.

We were assigned cottage #6, which contained AC, microwave, fridge, coffee pot, toaster, dishes, and towels. It was designed to accommodate two, with a maximum occupancy of three. The one drawback was the difficulty operating the shower control and less than optimum water pressure. It served it's purpose and hot water seemed plentiful once it reached the faucet.

Morning coffee and tea was provided at the Tiki Bar, where guests could mingle. Colourful hammocks hung from the trees, which my daughter found so comfortable she ordered one when we found a merchant that carried them! Each cottage also had its own outdoor sitting area.

We were delighted, wishing our schedules allowed for a longer stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank DeborahH264
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We loved our stay here, we had a room not a cottage but it was lovely.the room was large and we had kitchen utensils like bowls ,plates and cutlery to use,even washing up liquid and drying towels. The area is quiet and near to the beaches . I like the little area outside the rooms where you could sit and relax.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Beverley S
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I spent last year holloween for our anniversary here and had a great time. We again are going to stay here this Halloween for our anniversary. The staff are friendly informative and could not ask for more polite individuals. We found the rooms to be more than adequate for our stay, clean, neat, and well organized with all that we needed to be comfortable. WE have stayed in supposedly the higher class motels and have found them to be less enjoyable , less clean and a lot less friendly areas in general including their staff. When we come to the keys this is our spot

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple