“stay away!!”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Ft. Myers Fl.
“stay away!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

we once lived in marathon and return as often as possable. we love staying at coconut cay because of the great staff, many on site free activities, and you can dock your boat at your back door..and at a reasonable price..but this was our annaversity and we thought a cabin would be great..i reserved the room for four nights directly at the resort..instead of charging the 1st night they charged all 4..i called them and they corrected the error.by the time it was back in my account i incurded two nsf's..i contacted the owner, ms. lawyer, she showed no interest in making good her employee's mistake..we arrived late fri night, so i went to the office when it opened sat. morn.. i asked to speak with the owner..the desk clerk said that he would give her the message..i left for an errand..my wife called me all upset..ms. lawyer knocked on our door..she told my wife that she was canceling our reservation and we had 30 min. to vacate..i spoke with her in her office..it was clear she had no plans on working with us..she also complained about us having a dog..it was recent decision and i was going to tell her at check in..after pleading with her and advising that this was a long awaited annaverisity vacation..but she refused to take my wife's debit card..had to go to atm and bring her cash..now for the resort..(cabin 7)..the only chair was broken the seat was not attached to anything..the light in the sitting area did not work.paint on wall pealing..corner piece missing..fan light did not work..they say that they have nightly entertainment, and bar..not true..they mention kayak ramp and boat dock..ramp in overgrown, broken, and covered with seaweed..the dock is half submirged, the deck is warped, and unsafe..i have several photos and will post when i figure out how..if you have any question feel free to contact me at captainles226@gmail.com c.c. to marathon chamber of commerce

12 Thank captainles226
Sheila L, Manager at Tropical Cottages, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
"On rare occasions, I will address a guest like this man....but not often, I do it
for the readers of these reviews....Our friend here called the office after seeing a
special on Booking.com....it is as follows: A discounted price, due to being
"Non-Refundable" which means you book your time, and pay the full amount in advance,
and if something should come up in your life....you do not get a refund.....offered
by Booking.com. Our office person did make a mistake....the first one was in this
mans favor, but he forgot that part....He called and asked her if he could have the
same discounted rate, and book with her on the phone, and she would only take the
standard first night as a deposit. She agreed. She then accidentally charged in
full, as she has been informed to do on these type of bookings from
Booking.com....this charge was made at 9:37 a.m. on a Sunday morning, she realized
she had told him she would not do that, and called to let me know what she had
done.....and then he called the office and yelled at her. So no good deed goes
unpunished is the lesson she learned that day. I refunded the "overcharge" at 3:27
p.m. when I got to the office, that same Sunday. In my experience.....a charge is
never processed on a Sunday. I called this gentleman, and told him it was
refunded, and he was very friendly to me.
Upon the guest arrival, there was commotion in the office, and profanity used, which
enlightened me on what kind of people we were dealing with here. We corrected our
mistake, and we are happy to do so. There was a single transaction on this
reservation, a charge, and a refund on the same Sunday, hours apart, and there is a
record of this if needed. We offered the guest to cancel the reservation at no
cost, and they could find accommodations else where, however they declined. We also
made allowances for their dog to stay free of charge, although they forgot to tell
us they were bringing one. I am absolutely sure this was an honest mistake. We
tried everything to make this guest happy, to no avail. I would like to clear up
our pet policy here also....we are pet friendly......we all have our own, and love
them like family, so it is not the $10 a day pet charge that is important to us, if
you try to bring in a pet undetected. Our concern, is your pet. And our policy for
all that work here, is this: if there is a pet in the room, nobody is to open that
door. We would be devastated if you left your pet behind at the cottages, and we
opened the door, and they ran off, or worse, ran out into the road. We need to know
if there is a pet in your room, for safety purposes!!!!
We here at the cottages are thankful everyday....thankful for all of you that come
to The Florida Keys and spend your hard earned money in our town, and help support
our economy. We are thankful that we get to live in this paradise all year round.
We are thankful for all of the wonderful people we have met along the way and the
friends we have made. And we will not let people like Captainles.....spoil all of that
for us!
Sherry B"

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
State College, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were aware of their office hours and stepped by the place early to check in. Room was not ready yet but we just wanted to get our keys in order to be able to enter the room later in the evening (we had planned to have dinner in Key West). Everything went smoothly, lady was really kind.
Place is made by a number of bungalows scattered around, atmosphere is relaxed... very 'Keys'.
Beach closer to the place is not nice and you definitely need a car to move around.. but who goes to the keys without a car anyway? I was not expecting anything but a decent place to crash for the night, (I had read the reviews). But when me and my husband entered the room later in the evening I have to say we were really surprised! Cottage was really cute and clean (#2)... bed was comfortable and we slept really well. Bathroom was a little on the older side but overall nice and clean. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Cottage #2 is cute
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KikiJames
Sheila L, Manager at Tropical Cottages, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are 1950's "Old Keys" style cottages. We are not for everybody, and we are okay with that. For those of you who enjoy the laid back Keys style.....we are for you. We have cute little cottages, each one different, to accommodate many different tastes......However we are not the Marriott.....and we don't pretend to be....and actually....we don't want to be....we like cute...and quaint...and keyz..and .... laid back.....and if you do to.....look us up....We are The Tropical Cottages in Marathon Florida, located on 61st Street on the Gulf side....we don't have a beach, we have a boat dock on the Gulf of Mexico....but we are right across from one of the nicest beaches The Keys have to offer~ Sombrero Beach.....look them up....you will be blown away!!!!
Dandenong, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

After a long day we arrived at Tropical Cottages. Unfortunately my husband / driver had a migraine so we did not venture further south on the Keys. The Cottage was very cute - compact but sufficient for a rest and 1 nights sleep. We had cottage #6 with the outdoor shower - thankfully not too cool the following morning.

Kissimmee, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed for 3 nights. On a positive note, room was large and clean upon arrival. The big picture negative note -- no one seems to care here, or perhaps the owners don't really want to be in the hospitality business....that's how they act. No one is friendly, no one inquires as to whether the customer needs anything or is having a good experience -- no one is around. You are given a key and sent to your room. Period.
Some examples: Attitude of front desk was laxadazical and disinterested at best. When asked about the advertized wi-fi, I was told that my best bet would be to "try" out by the Tiki bar, but that the service in my room probably would be "sketchy." No ice cube trays in freezer, but when I inquired about ice I was instead handed a "little bag of ice" from someplace out back that was given to me in a grocery store bag. No further offer to do anything about the ice after that. The daily room cleaning comprised emptying the waste paper basket -- the beds were never straightened up, nor was anything else in the room cleaned. The room lacked a few necessities -- such as a place to hang clothes (no bar, no rack, no closet), a rack or stand for luggage (had to put luggage on the floor or on top of microwave), and some electical sockets to plug in items such as cell phone chargers, computers, etc., and a light bright enough to read by. The only AC unit was located in the bathroom wall, so keeping the room cool depended on keeping the bathroom door open at all times. Adding insult to injury, a sign is displayed prominently in the office window noting that this hotel is the recipient of a 2013 Award from Trip Advisor. This place has the potential to be quaint and relaxing if some attention were given it by caring professionals. Perhaps the owners could role play being hotel guests at this establishment in order to experience for themselves the amenities that are lacking and the social skills the managers need in order for their guests to feel like real "guests.". Sad.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank georgem202

Travellers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Sumter, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at Tropical Cottages for two nights on our way back from a Key West anniversary getaway. We booked through the website booking.com and it showed us pictures of cute, quaint little cottages. Once we checked in, we realized that the pictures were deceiving! After opening the door we were greeted with a worn out rug that was falling apart. It was a tripping hazard. Once inside, all the wicker furniture had a faded look, as well as, seemed to be chewed on by someone's dog. The sides of the refrigerator were all rusted up, surely from the humidity in the room from one of the "Florida Window" panes being broken and only a strip of duct tape in place to close it off.

Not only was the furniture in the room worn out/run down, but the toilet would not flush. There was not only one, but two plungers in the bathroom! I am sure this was a re-occurring problem for this room. When we got the toilet to finally go down, we reported the problem to the desk. Their response was to just keep an eye on it and if it continued to happen they would send someone to fix it. After reporting it again, we never saw a maintenance guy and basically had to plunge to use the toilet. Also, there are no electrical outlets in the bathroom. If you need to use a blow dryer or any other kind of hair styling device, you will have to plug it in somewhere in the room (no mirror access) or use extension cords.

Needless to say, we will never stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Justme7673
Belleville, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Like so many other reviews already written, which unfortunately I read when I returned home, Tropical Cottages in Marathon seems to still be getting away with the same shoddy practices and deliberately misleading advertising that characterize many of the reviews given in the past couple of months. My own experience was to have paid in excess of $200 a day for a 3 night stay in the "Garden Suite". Booked online, through their website, we arrived to find the accommodation a mile away, 6 empty beer bottles by the stairs to the second floor. Try and find that on their webpage. The accommodation was overpriced (a web of extension cords so that things would work!) but OK - roomy, clean inside. The owner's way of dealing with irate customers is to simply disappear. She does not respond to requests or emails. What irks me the most is the fact that my complaints are totally ignored, absolultely no customer service, no effort to make amends, false advertising . . . and it is allowed to continue!
I am appealing to Tripadvisor and Booking.com who advertise for Tropical Cottages, to look into the management of this resort and remove them from their list of properties.

Room Tip: A rip-off.
9 Thank Penny H
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at Cabin #4. Accommodations were adequate but not fancy. A great setup for a fisherman or fisher woman. The cottages were cute and roomy. The front desk clerk was very helpful and friendly. He informed us of the places to visit during our stay. It is off the beaten path but great for a little getaway .BYOB there is no bar. It is a short drive to Sombrero Beach. The hammocks were cute and relaxing. We will definitely visit these cottages again. Had a relaxing fun time.

Room Tip: It is on a dead end street, so it is very quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheila L, Manager at Tropical Cottages, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Tropical Cottages. We are quaint, and we are relaxing. We are an original 1950's Old Keys Experience.....we offer clean rooms, at a reasonable price. And although we are located on a small side street....61st St Gulf, we are just off of U.S. 1...which is the main, and only path through The Florida Keys. We are centrally located in Marathon, so it is just a short distance to the famous Sombrero Beach, or enjoy a trip to the Turtle Hospital, Crane Point, and the Dolphin Research Center. We have many restaurant choices including the Sunset Grille located on the ocean right next to the 7 mile bridge, where you can enjoy dinner poolside, and a swim before or after. And Lulu's Garden Grille & Tiki, offering an outdoor Tiki Bar located in a beautiful tropical garden with nightly local entertainment. When you are in Marathon, looking for a clean, quaint, relaxing place to stay.....look us up....on 61st Gulf, we're Tropical Cottages, we'll be waiting....with the lights on!
Sherry B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Tropical Cottages? Share your experiences!