“Relaxing”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Naples, Florida
“Relaxing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Well this comes with 2 different views...mine and my sons. My son picked this place because we thought we were going to have to bring my dog so I believe it is pet friendly. We didn't have to bring the dog after all. I myself thought the place was really cute and cozy, very old Florida style cottage. My son just didn't like it, no specific reason, just wasn't happy with it. I enjoyed sitting in the chair hammocks under the trees, the weather was very nice while we were there so it made it pleasant. They have no pool and they are not on the water which was somewhat of a disappointment but they were very close to just about anything you needed which was good. (The restaurant Brutus was in walking distance and it was some of the best food I have eaten in the Keys) I liked that they had a stove and large frig and a grill outside by the tiki hut if you wanted to use it. My son would not stay there again, I might if I brought my dog. It does need some updating but not many people go to the Keys to hang out in there hotel room...right?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Christine C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night during lobster season. The tiki hut area was nice and quiet. Hammocks and nice foliage. You expect a tiki hut as such to be up and running...but no. Not such a big deal for us though. We stayed in cottage #14. Attached to backside of office. The office has access to this cottage through a door in the kitchen. There is a window in the top of the door which I don't think is appropriate. Any office staff can hear or see into the room. Full kitchen. We did not use anything in it. Shower had very run down tile that had chipped paint. Not a good first impression. Plunger sitting IN the shower...which we quickly found out why. No blanket or pillows for pull out couch, only sheets. 2 window a/c units which were turned at max level to somewhat cool room. Visible wires running throughout. Holes in walls for wires and such. Very spacious cottage. Bed in room was good. Only provided us 4 towels. No hand towels or washcloths. When asked for an extra towel we were told they gave us 4. But did end up bringing one. Not sure if they would provide us washcloths if asked but I feel like they should be there upon arrival. Who showers without washcloths? Wifi worked good. Definitely needs updated. On a quiet side street with houses to end of street. It worked for the night but I would not pay $179 again at this place. Not what we expected for the price.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Lbryan77

Travellers are raving about these Marathon hotels

New Port Richey, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Check the state website for complaints prior to staying. I did not and when we got their we immediately went sight seeing and came back to shower and their were fish guts and juice in shower. We started looking around and the dirt an dust on the floor was disgusting, windows broken and non operational, door deadbolt did not lock on outside. The owner would not refund as they offered to clean shower but the smell was so disgusting and with a small child this is unacceptable.

Room Tip: keep looking
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank cassandra t
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Breakfast was included as part of accommodation.Owners could have engaged more with guests. maintenance man made difference,without his welcoming demeanour would have been a very different experience.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and you have to pay more to get a better chalet when you get there, pics can be dece...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jamtart6
Hobe Sound, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We loved our 2 night stay at cottages 2 and 5. Comfortable king size
> beds, freshly painted inside and out with wonderful colors. Cute
> furnishings and wonderful outside gathering spots. Very friendly and
> helpful staff. Sound of traffic was very muted, rare in the keys!!. We live in FLA and had
> a wonderful 2 day vacation in the Keys, much of it due to this terrific
> spot. . Wifi did not work for us, neither did the beautiful-stained glass ceiling fan, The air conditioner worked terrific,so no matter. Believe me we will recommend you to our friends

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Babs C
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was my second year in a row staying at tropical cottage. I truly enjoyed my stay! Will be back. However last year the tiki bar was up and running this year it was not! I would like to see that back up and running again. The location is great!! Quiet also! Parking easy. Just a over all great place to relax!!

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank snwatson36
Sheila L, Manager at Tropical Cottages, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.....and enough to come back for a second time. The tiki area is a great place to relax, on one of the comfortable couches, or hammocks, or hanging hammock chairs....there are tables under the tiki to sit and enjoy a meal, and a great gas grille to cook it on. There is also a T.V......watch a program or just set it to one of the music channels. Although the tiki no longer serves alcohol it is still a great place to hang out, bring your drink of choice, and meet other people staying with us...literally from all over the world. ....we also serve coffee there every morning.

Sherry B.
Irving, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

After viewing photos of the Tropical Cottages accommodations on their website, I admit that I didn't have high expectations. Although the interiors looked very dated and more "shabby" than "chic", the exterior of the cottages appeared to have a lovely vintage charm, and the common social areas of the property looked good. I reserved cottage #14 for myself, my teenage daughter, and my mother for a five night stay. It was very conveniently located for us as we were visiting my sister and her family who live nearby. I spoke with several staff members prior to my arrival, and all but one were helpful. The one who was unhelpful basically told me to call back later to talk to someone who could help me...not exactly professional, but not rude, so no problem. Here are the pros and cons of this property and of Cottage #14, in my opinion:

PROS --

-- great parking
-- centrally located to everything in the Keys
-- secluded
-- nice comfortable outdoor areas
-- clean linens
-- on-site office
-- plenty of hot water
-- cold air-conditioning
-- free Wi-Fi (although not always accessible)

CONS --

-- cottage interior was out-dated, unkempt, and dilapidated
-- mis-matched furniture, some of it broken and dangerous
-- housekeeping was practically non-existent; beds were made up only once in five days
-- floors were dirty
-- full kitchen was very poorly stocked: not enough utensils; most of the glasses were cracked and leaked; limited cookware; no cooking implements like measuring cups, stirring/serving spoons, etc.; no detergent for dishwasher (spent a small fortune at the local dollar store just so we could cook in the "full kitchen")
-- beds were uncomfortable, and sheets were too small
-- sofa bed was made up with sheets but lacked pillows and blanket
-- bathroom shower was a mess: peeling paint, dangerous recessed floor, no fixed shower-head (hand-held only, very dangerous for elderly), rusty shower caddy, etc.
-- one towel bar in bathroom over toilet too short for bath towels, no other bar or hooks to hang used towels or wet swimwear
-- Cottage #14 is adjacent to the office and has one window made of glass blocks that looks into the bedroom (opaque) and a door with a glass insert at the top that looks into the kitchen...one night a light was left on overnight in the office, causing light to shine into the kitchen and bedroom of Cottage #14 all night

I feel that this property has so much potential and could be improved in simple, low-cost ways that would greatly improve the vacation experiences of its guests. There is so much that I liked about it, and with a little more TLC, I would be happy to stay here again. As it is, I would probably not be a return guest.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank 4KidsMomTX
Sheila L, Manager at Tropical Cottages, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
We are happy to hear that you "mostly" enjoyed your stay with us. We do apologize if you thought one of office staff was rude....I do believe setting up your reservation was a little difficult....contacting through e-mail, and then talking with you, and then your sister about the details. .....I think the office personal were correct in letting you deal with me, who offered you the special pricing for your stay..We want to make sure we set things up as we offered. Things worked out well, you were near your family that lives on the same street as the cottages, and you got your special pricing....life is good!!!
We are an original 1950's resort, and we work very hard on updates for all of the rooms.....It is an ongoing, and never ending process.....during this time, although everything in your room may not be brand new, it is clean, in working order, bright and pleasant.
We do offer housekeeping on a daily basis, ... your room was always full of people, having a good time, cooking, and enjoying visiting with your family......and we respect that, it is very difficult for our housekeeping staff to get in and clean when the room is so full, we happily replaced towels when requested. A change of sheets is done every 3rd day. Thank you for stopping by the office to let me know you were all going out for the afternoon. I had let my housekeeping staff go, but slipped in and cleaned your room and changed the sheets myself.
Curtis, Lisa, and myself, in the office, as well as Julio, and Yamile, our housekeeping staff, all work as a team, and would be happy to take care of whatever it is that you need.....Please just stop by and ask them.
Sherry B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Tropical Cottages? Share your experiences!