“No privacy ...”
Review of Tropical Cottages

Tropical Cottages
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The room was small but fine, and the bed was comfortable. The room did, however, have an outside toilet and shower, and no curtain on the bedroom door - so if a person had looked over the fence, they would have been able to see the occupants in bed. I didn't like this. I think a hotel should tell you when booking if you are going to have an outside toilet and shower (see photo). Reception was covered sporadically.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Paul A

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Well this comes with 2 different views...mine and my sons. My son picked this place because we thought we were going to have to bring my dog so I believe it is pet friendly. We didn't have to bring the dog after all. I myself thought the place was really cute and cozy, very old Florida style cottage. My son just didn't like it, no specific reason, just wasn't happy with it. I enjoyed sitting in the chair hammocks under the trees, the weather was very nice while we were there so it made it pleasant. They have no pool and they are not on the water which was somewhat of a disappointment but they were very close to just about anything you needed which was good. (The restaurant Brutus was in walking distance and it was some of the best food I have eaten in the Keys) I liked that they had a stove and large frig and a grill outside by the tiki hut if you wanted to use it. My son would not stay there again, I might if I brought my dog. It does need some updating but not many people go to the Keys to hang out in there hotel room...right?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Christine C
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night during lobster season. The tiki hut area was nice and quiet. Hammocks and nice foliage. You expect a tiki hut as such to be up and running...but no. Not such a big deal for us though. We stayed in cottage #14. Attached to backside of office. The office has access to this cottage through a door in the kitchen. There is a window in the top of the door which I don't think is appropriate. Any office staff can hear or see into the room. Full kitchen. We did not use anything in it. Shower had very run down tile that had chipped paint. Not a good first impression. Plunger sitting IN the shower...which we quickly found out why. No blanket or pillows for pull out couch, only sheets. 2 window a/c units which were turned at max level to somewhat cool room. Visible wires running throughout. Holes in walls for wires and such. Very spacious cottage. Bed in room was good. Only provided us 4 towels. No hand towels or washcloths. When asked for an extra towel we were told they gave us 4. But did end up bringing one. Not sure if they would provide us washcloths if asked but I feel like they should be there upon arrival. Who showers without washcloths? Wifi worked good. Definitely needs updated. On a quiet side street with houses to end of street. It worked for the night but I would not pay $179 again at this place. Not what we expected for the price.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Lbryan77
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Check the state website for complaints prior to staying. I did not and when we got their we immediately went sight seeing and came back to shower and their were fish guts and juice in shower. We started looking around and the dirt an dust on the floor was disgusting, windows broken and non operational, door deadbolt did not lock on outside. The owner would not refund as they offered to clean shower but the smell was so disgusting and with a small child this is unacceptable.

Room Tip: keep looking
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank cassandra t
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Breakfast was included as part of accommodation.Owners could have engaged more with guests. maintenance man made difference,without his welcoming demeanour would have been a very different experience.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and you have to pay more to get a better chalet when you get there, pics can be dece...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jamtart6
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We loved our 2 night stay at cottages 2 and 5. Comfortable king size
> beds, freshly painted inside and out with wonderful colors. Cute
> furnishings and wonderful outside gathering spots. Very friendly and
> helpful staff. Sound of traffic was very muted, rare in the keys!!. We live in FLA and had
> a wonderful 2 day vacation in the Keys, much of it due to this terrific
> spot. . Wifi did not work for us, neither did the beautiful-stained glass ceiling fan, The air conditioner worked terrific,so no matter. Believe me we will recommend you to our friends

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Babs C
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was my second year in a row staying at tropical cottage. I truly enjoyed my stay! Will be back. However last year the tiki bar was up and running this year it was not! I would like to see that back up and running again. The location is great!! Quiet also! Parking easy. Just a over all great place to relax!!

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank snwatson36
Sheila L, Manager at Tropical Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.....and enough to come back for a second time. The tiki area is a great place to relax, on one of the comfortable couches, or hammocks, or hanging hammock chairs....there are tables under the tiki to sit and enjoy a meal, and a great gas grille to cook it on. There is also a T.V......watch a program or just set it to one of the music channels. Although the tiki no longer serves alcohol it is still a great place to hang out, bring your drink of choice, and meet other people staying with us...literally from all over the world. ....we also serve coffee there every morning.

Sherry B.