“hard to leave again”

Seascape Motel and Marina
Ranked #1 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed there a few nights in may and there is nothing more I can do than highly recommend this place to anybody that is considering a trip to the keys. Situated right in the middle of the keys this place is a perfect and quiet base for exploring the rest of the keys. The rooms have very nice interiors and are very clean. We had to change cause we didnt book in advance... The whole location is just beautiful with BBQ facilities, a pool with ocean view and a hammock right on the bay. Super friendly and helpful staff with a laid-back attitude make you feel home just from the beginning. Highly recommended. Hard to leave!

1  Thank vagabondZep

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Here's what I wanted from a hotel in the Keys: quiet, clean, comfortable, off the main road, private, nice view, on the water, close to a beach (Sombrero) and things to do (Turtle hospital) with lots of nearby restaurants (nothing is far in the Keys and it's very close to the 7-mile bridge). That's what I got! We stayed in room 2 with a king-sized bed and a mini fridge and microwave. No, there is not daily maid service and that pleases me! The last thing I want on vacation is a stranger walking into my room daily. If you're like me and you put the "do-not-disturb" sign on your door for when you stay in a hotel for a few days, then you understand. There's also a lovely pool that we didn't use (we're just not pool people) and a dock that we did fish from. We brought our own fishing gear but they had free fishing poles available. We also brought our own kayaks (my BF and I each have one) but theirs seemed to remain unused while we were there so we could have borrowed them. They have one 2-seater and one single-user. Ours stayed in the back of the truck and no one bothered them, like I said it was a nice quiet location. It was a perfect spot to sit and read a book, the hammock was delightful. I brought my own hair dryer as I always do, I just like mine better than the ones in hotel rooms and they did not have one (as long as you know this - who cares?). TV and Wi-Fi worked great. We walked to LuLu's Garden Grille for breakfast one morning and it was fine, nothing special, but very convenient. Ice is available for purchase, not free as in a big hotel. This is a motel of older construction - loads of character on a beautiful property. We went to the 7-mile bridge for sunset and the Sea Turtle Hospital and some of the restaurants they recommended. I would love to go back ASAP! Thanks Sophia, et. al. for this wonderful place to get away from it all!

3  Thank cacutus
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at the Seascape Motel after reading many good reviews and seeing photos of this little property hidden in the side streets off of the main Overseas Highway. I wanted to stay somewhere other than a brand resort or hotel this time in the Keys. The Seascape building at first glance may seem a tad rustic or retro. The grounds are in similar fashion. I arrived on a cloudy overcast day, so it was not as inviting as the next morning proved, when the sun was in full splendor. The grey exterior of the Motel contrasts with the cheery color schemes of the room's interior. Each room has a particular color scheme and decor. My room had a foam green hue and I could tell the owners had a certain quirky sense of humor. The lampshade was fur-covered, fish dangled as pull-strings for the above light and fan. The room itself was simply a large tile-floored square, nothing fancy. It had a comfortable larege bed and I would say it was functional. A basic table with metal or plastic chairs, a small fridge and lots of closet space. The bathroom was big and surprisingly very inviting, believe it or not. It was retangular and a step up, literally, from the main room. I think a lot had to do with the lighting - warm and incandescent, as opposed to the duller white lights that bathed the main room. (I think if the overhead light was warmer, I would feel that way about the main room). Very nice shower, plenty of towels and a big mirror and counter. I had room to use my exercise ball, a big plus. The wi-fi worked just fine.

Outside there is a dock and a great view of the ocean. There is also a pool which is not large but overlooks the water and is fine for a dip. I did not go in, again because the weather was so unstable (odd for May). I did try out the hammock tucked under some small trees by the water, which was a nice touch. The "sand' is that typical crushed limestone-like gravel seen in the Keys. Although you could technically wade in the ocean, I did not get the feeling that it was a "swimmable beach", based on the rocks and uncleared area.

The owner/operators were friendly and the office has a quirky welcoming quality to it. Again, this is not a Hilton. It is in places, rather weathered to the eye but if you are looking for a quiet spot away from the main drag, it is just fine. They make it clear in a sign, that the rooms are not cleaned daily during the duration of your stay but they will be happy to assist and do so if requested. There are kayaks and other recreational equipment available (I did not partake).

Room Tip: View the many photos on Tripadvisor to get a feel for what room suits your eye.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Craig H
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Great location as a base for exploring the Keys. Waterfront location was very nice, but no real beach (minus one star) which is OK since the Keys beaches are few and far between and that's not what you go to the Keys for (as we found out). If you have a boat, the dockage is a real plus. Staff was great. Pool was very good. It was a little too windy/rainy to use their outdoor amenities but the grills and outdoor seating looked real inviting. Go to Sombrero beach. Restaurants: LuLu's for Breakfast, Franks for real good Italian. Long Key and Bahia Honda State Parks are worth a visit. Easy drive to Key west.

1  Thank Flyfisherdmc
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

We found this place on travel advisor and read the reviews. We booked it and were very pleased with the level of cleanliness and comfort of this small place.

The view was very nice, great location, quiet, and very comfortable. They had complementary fishing gear an kayaks. It also provided complementary internet wifi service which is now rare as most hotels charge for it. It was all based on availability, but fair enough.

Very nice place, the staff was very nice as well. This is a nice place for people that want peace and quiet at a good price. We want to go back to this place again :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David E
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were so pleased with our recent stay here. We researched many accommodations online before finally deciding on this one & we're really glad we did. While the building is a little bit dated (many accommodations in the Keys can be "rustic"), it was impeccably maintained & immaculately clean. It's obvious a lot of care is taken by the staff to make sure you have a comfortable stay. Views of the ocean are stunning, staff is friendly & it was so convenient to keep our boat at their marina. Hope to be back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dhonour
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Do you remember how wonderful Florida was in the 1960's? Would you like to go to a place where you feel like you have stepped back in time when life was simple and everything was good? Visit Seascape Motel and Marina and the pressures of life evaporate as you enter this wonderfully kept 5 acre property. The rooms are exceptionally clean, spacious and exactly as shown on the website. Sophia and Sharon will make your visit special with their hospitality and great advice on things to do and places to eat in Marathon. Sophia even offered to wash our clothes as my wife and I had just finished a one week cruise. We ended up spending most of our 4 day stay at the motel using the free kayaks, fishing off the Seascape Marina pier and swinging in the hammock that overlooks the Atlantic. There are plenty of chairs and chaises on the beach for those wanting to work on their tans and the pool is never crowded as the motel only has 11 rooms. I highly recommend Seascape for couples young and old alike and families looking for a safe budget friendly stay.

Room Tip: Room #2 was very quiet with a great view of the water and marina.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple