“Support local business and enjoy some music!”
Review of Dockside Tropical Cafe - CLOSED

Dockside Tropical Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: A waterfront venue located on Boot Key Harbor in the heart of the Florida Keys. Newly redecorated bar and live music stage with a view of the harbor. Casual relaxed dining on "the dock" offering live entertainment.
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stopped in for lunch while waiting on our hotel. When we travel we like to support local businesses and not chains. The food was pretty good and reasonably priced. We happened to stop in during a music festival and were able to enjoy some of the music. GREAT performances!

The service admittedly was VERY slow. At one point we debated on leaving but decided to stay for the music. The cook brought our food to us, which was nice. He was very polite. It appeared they only had one waitress with seven tables so we tried to not fault her.

If you like outdoor eating, live music and bar food, this restaurant is for you!

There are newer reviews for Dockside Tropical Cafe

Reviewed 22 June 2014

went for lunch. bartender shouted he would be over soon. cook standing in front of cooking area with her cooking gloves on her hip. sad could be a real nice place. we just got up and left.

2  Thank twocrazysailors
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We'd been walking around town all morning and were ready for a late (1:30) lunch. We'd heard about this place last time we'd been in Marathon but didn't take our dinghy over due to rain. The dinghy dock was crowded but we found a spot and walked up to the 'cafe'. Liked the waterfront casual seating with good water views.

We sampled pina coladas and the grouper rueben and blackened mahi sandwiches. Our server was pleasant and a little absent minded; the drinks and food were average. It looked like a fun spot to go to with a large group of friends in the evening to hear the entertainment.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We frequent the Keys and found this place through the local papers. The food and liquor selection isn't extensive, and is good, but nothing to write home about. We were intrigued by the entertainment line up and the fact that the place is co-owned by a local musician. We caught the place on Karaoke night. It was great fun.

What I really like about the place is that it is truly a locals place. It is off the beat path, and features a big stage with lots of seating. Go there for late night drinks and a snack if your hungry, but mostly to catch the entertainment and be a part of the locals scene.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Went to see a old friend play some music at Docksiders. Joined by my good friend, we walked in sat down and waited and waited. The owner walked right by the table and didn't acknowledge us or the fact that we had no drinks or menus. Finally, my buddy went to the bar and was told that we had to wait on our server. The only server.. I noticed lots of dirty tables and knew we were in trouble. I would have walked out but, I wanted to see my old friend play some music. Finally got drinks and ordered dinner. The food was good but, the experience was ruined by the service and having to wait 15 minutes to be acknowledged. I spend a lot of time in the keys, I will not return or recommend.

2  Thank Phisher812
Kim H, Owner at Dockside Tropical Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback... We always welcome any feedback, in order to continue to improve. Can you please tell me exactly what night you were there? We have had some issues with some of our servers, and would like to address this with the correct server. In response to your comment "The owner walked right by the table and didn't acknowledge us or the fact that we had no drinks or menus." Without making excuses, I can assure you if it was my husband, he more than likely had his hands full mixing the music for your friend, and if it was me, and I was on the floor, I was handling some order of business. Our most humble apologies in either case.

Again, thank you for your feedback, and if you can please respond and let me know exactly what day and time you were in, we will be able to address the issue. I would love to meet you in person, and buy you a drink next time you are in.

Kim Hess-Stone