“Great Time”

Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The banana bay resort is older but has character. I stayed there in march and got the last room available which just happened to have a fantastic view straight out onto the gulf.I would;t suggest this place if your looking for the fancy type of place but it sure is a relaxing spot to chill out in. The pool during the day has a tiki bar at your service and if you take a walk out back you can meet some pretty cool people who live aboard their boats. I took a walk in the evening after a long day on key west and found some locals hanging on the back dock singing and playing guitars and were so friendly that they stopped and invited me to join in. If you just want a cheap place with a cool view and atmosphere it's definitely worth staying at banana bay on marathon key.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank islandtime4ever
Sigfrido V, General Manager at Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Good afternoon islandtime4ever:

Thank you for a good review and for taking the time to talk about us here. I agree with you in that the minute you arrive you get to experience true Florida Keys living. Banana Bay is all about rest and relaxation and I am glad we were able to get you that one last room.

Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you back soon. Please stop by my office to say hello!

Sig Varela

Write a ReviewReviews (1,006)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

When we were checking into this hotel, we were pleasantly surprised by the beautiful foliage and pool area. The pool was large with a hot tub. When we actually got to our room, however, we were displeased. The room smelled musty and was very out-dated. We made our way to the pool and were enjoying ourselves until a homeless person who was loitering decided to take a dip in his boxer-briefs (which revealed his genitals as he was escorted out of the pool by hotel staff!!!) After dinner we went back to the room to catch some sleep after an exhausting day.
Unfortunately, the three rooms across the hall were occupied by young partiers who left their doors open and partied all day and night. After being awakened by their knocking on our door and constant yelling, we requested a room change. We finally received a new room and got a few hours sleep. To sum it all up - stay elsewhere if possible, because this place is not worth the aggravation!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Maria C
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Nothing like banana bay says it is. The room was not clean. The pool was nasty. Wads of hair in pool along with other debri. Second day they opened pool without cleaning it. The tiki bar only had a couple beers in fridge. Had liquor license but no-one stocked bar. The arcade and restaurant were closed and apparently have been closed and emptied a long time ago. Staff was unfriendly. The maintenance man was more interested in flirting with housekeepers than his job. Property unkept. Worst place i have ever stayed. Cant figure out how they can charge top dollar for such a dump. Will never return here and advise you not to go there. 2 nights at $250 a night.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank painturnet
Reviewed 6 July 2014

First note, this place just took new ownership, so hopefully a year from now things could be different. For now, this place is NOT worth the price. Though the marina has a beautiful sunset view, and the location is great, the motel itself is in dire need of TLC. This was our second try. The walls and doors were so dirty, I honestly thought about getting out a sponge. I found a nasty McDonald's straw under one of our beds, and a bobby pin next to the other. One comforter had a large GAPING hole in it. We couldn't cool down the room, though the temp was set to 60 degrees. We spoke to the cleaning lady, but maybe we should have gone straight to the office. I would bring your own pillows or ask for extras. We asked, but didn't get any. Again, maybe we asked the wrong person. You'd think our room maintainer would handle that though. Traveling with friends, we booked five rooms, and it seems that at least three other rooms had issues with either AC, television or something else. Towels were clean, we had a small balcony with two plastic chairs, and parking was convenient. Mattresses were lumpy and really need to be thrown out and replaced. Again, for the price of this place, you can stay elsewhere much more comfortably. You can stay right in Key West for less. Compare Curry Mansion rates for example. Banana Bay has a large pool with friendly bartender. It's a beer and wine service only and you can bring your own food in. A couple places nearby will deliver. Although this location is on the water, there are so many trees around the pool area, that there is no tropical breeze. To their defense, the new owners have some of the trees tied with pink ribbons. Perhaps they are already aware. We wasted our vacation money this time, but might return if this place ever gets the makeover it needs. It's got potential written all over it. I'd recommend keeping it on your radar, or staying there should you find yourself a deep discount rate that you can't turn down. As is, it's not worth more than $60 a night. For $150/175 you can get much much more in the same area someplace else.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank flyrfly
Peter P, General Manager at Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Greetings and thank you for your review Banana Bay. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Yes we are under new ownership but still I am concerned by the experience you had. It troubles me when a simple thing like extra pillows were not delivered to your room. I have addressed this with housekeeping as well as the condition of the rooms. The grounds are also on the target list, as you mentioned the trees have all been inventoried. Some of the native trees are protected and need to be handled with care.
I do hope you keep Banana Bay on you radar and I look forward to your next visit. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss

Peter Policastro
pete@bananabay.com
305-731-9860

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Went down for a day of fishing. Great service and clean rooms. Price was right. Good stay with no surprises. Perfect for two nights. Staff was attentive and quick to respond to our not being able to sign on the internet. It was our fault but staff's response was almost instantaneous.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Greetings and thank you for your kind review of Banana Bay Resort. I am especially glad the staff was attentive and was able to make your stay an enjoyable one. We look forward to your next stay at Banana Bay and hope you continue to visit our place in Paradise. Please feel free to contact me at anytime.
Pete Policastro
305-731-9860

Reviewed 30 June 2014

With this being our first trip to the Keys, we were unsure of where to stay and the type of resort to stay in. We wanted to experience Key West but did not want to book our entire trip in Key West. If you are planning a similar trip to the Keys, I suggest booking a room in Marathon. Marathon Key has many restaurants and stores. The drive to Key West is short. We didn't visit Sombrero Beach but the sunning beach at Banana was much nicer than the beaches in Key West. The water at the marina was very clear which provided a great view of the marine life that surrounded the marina.
The pool at Banana Bay looked great. However, did not have time to enjoy it. The sunset was
Now for my review of the room. I think it was relatively clean. How're ever, the mattresses are covered in sheets that used to be white but are now a "dirty" white. The box springs literally drag the floor. I think the mattresses are covered in a plastic wrap, similar to that on a baby bed mattress. The door to our room was incredibly dirty with a footprint on the outside. I was really hoping it was not from being kicked in. The smell in the hallway was of wet carpet. When we first entered our room, the smell was overwhelming. It smelled like some type of deodorant. We opened the sliding door to let it air out. All of the faults we found can easily be fixed.
Compared to prices of other resorts, this was a good value. You definitely can save money by staying here. This resort needs a tremendous amount of TLC. If the owners could find the resources for updates, I would recommend the resort to anyone. Banana Bay has so much potential. I am sure at one time, the landscaping was beautiful. It really needs to be manicured. There are tennis courts that my children were planning on using. There was so much dirt and debris, they couldn't use them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

this place was so-so. our room was clean and super quiet. the staff was miserable, though. the pool was dirty and when a member of our party asked for a special item from the front desk, the lady rolled her eyes.. felt like we were bugging them instead of being taken care of.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Lime Tree Bay Resort
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon? Share your experiences!