“Florida's Finest Rat Trap”

Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed 31 August 2007

I wish I had checked out the reviews on TripAdvisor before booking a room at this disgusting shack. As a result of my poor judgment I have been informed by my wife and kids that I am no longer allowed to be the sole planner of our family getaways. My decision to trust the painfully misleading Banana Bay website and a wholly inaccurate travel guide, has besmirched my otherwise spotless vacation planning record.

I really don't think I can add anything to the honest reviews given by some of the other reviewers, except to say this: STAY AWAY!

In response to the notion that the problems highlighted by other reviewers have been addressed and remedied I say this: BALDERDASH! Such assertions are blatant attempts by employees, managers, or others with some financial interest, to minimize the damage done by the spotlight now shining on this roadside horror show masquerading as a resort.

In closing let me give some advice to would be victims of this shady organization... keep driving, avert your eyes, and never speak the name of this cursed place.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
225  Thank uwtraveller
Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed 23 August 2007

New carpet, everything in the room worked fine. The restaurant had excellent food. The employee's were helpful and kind. I would go back any time. Boat dockage was a little expensive but they did allow you to use the ramp for free.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank scubadiver2
Reviewed 25 July 2007

Our stay this July shared almost all of the problems cited by previous reviewers, and a few new ones as well. I'll skip writing all of that except: The desk clerk 'Bob' made us feel that it was us who were being inconvenient when calling about our bed which was soaked from the leaking ceiling . We had to sleep in it because the hotel was booked and no effort made to find another room elsewhere. Both representatives made no adjustment for this and one (Matt) completely refused to contact any manager (none was onsite the whole stay) at checkout because this problem wasn’t serious enough. Even when I called the manager (Kimberly) after our trip, I was met with no reply call.

Poor service, poor facilities, horrid stains, mildew etc etc..

• Stayed: July 2007
254  Thank MtnPerspective
Reviewed 8 July 2007

Where to begin...

As mentioned in a number of other reviews the water damage to the hotel is extensive. You can actually see how high the flood waters got inside the hotel by looking at the damage to the walls.
Everything in the hotel smells like mold and the carpet is loose and wrinkled. Also as mentioned in other reviews, the grounds are in extreme disrepair and the beach is little more than a pile of rocks with some sand sprinkled on it. The tennis courts are overgrown with vines, weeds and algae covered puddles. The garden view room looks out over about two feet of shrubbery and a couple thousand square feet of parking lot. The non-smoking room had clearly been smoked in and when combined with the smell of the mold created an odor that was truly disgusting. The photos on the website are laughably out of date. I can only assume that the glowing recommendations offered by some reviewers on this site are from hotel staff or people so embarrassed about getting ripped off by this company they've deluded themselves into believing they had a great experience. You would think that the low point of this stay would have been the giant wet spot in the middle of our room that smelled like cat urine, sadly it was not.

We reported our grievances to the front desk and expected at least a courteous if not an apologetic response, we were shocked when the clerk told us that if we didn't like the room to go somewhere else. We spent the next couple of hours looking for a room and finally found one. When we went to check out the clerk berated us for taking so long to find another room and when my wife listed our complaints again he began to mockingly advise us to physically check out any hotel before we book a room there. When I pointed out that we looked online at their highly misleading website and now had taken pictures of our own to show our credit card company when we asked them for a chargeback, he finally relented and zeroed out the charges. Or so we thought. When we got our next statement we found that Banana Bay had charged the card in spite of giving us a receipt showing that all charges had been reversed. Avoid this place at all costs. I will post
some legitimate candid photos so you can judge for yourself.

• Stayed: June 2007
233  Thank trvlr-srjnr
Reviewed 4 July 2007

This resort was probably nice in the 80's but hasn't seen a coat of paint since then. As the other reviews stated, the stench of mildew is overwhelming once we entered the hallway to our room. Inside the room, the sink was teeming with ants, the twenty year old refigerator
was rusty and had a broken seal, the air conditioner was loud and ineffective, the carpets were dingy, and the mattresses had lost their form many years ago. The pool was ok but everything, such as the pool deck, tiles, and equipment looked faded, tired, and water stained. The beach area looks like it was damaged by the hurricanes several years ago and forgotten by the owners. The price we paid for the room ($140) was more than twice what it was worth.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
129  Thank Cap34
Reviewed 4 June 2007

My wife, children and I spent three nights in banana bay marathon. the smell of mildew and dampness were overwhelming as soon as we entered the hall to our room. not to mention the condition of the carpet. loose from the floor and filthy. there were bull ants on the ceiling and in the shower, the pluming was very slow and backed up easy. the pool and tiki bar were nice, but a good walk from the room. don't be fooled by the pictures on the website that must have been taken years ago.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
49  Thank gdawg72
Reviewed 8 May 2007

We spent 2 weeks in FL and decided to head to the Keys at the end of our vacation. Our first night in the Keys - yuck! Frommers guide to FL praised this resort as a "find" - wrong. The only positives: the staff was friendly and the pool was wonderful. The rooms were very old and yes, the carpet was awful. The buildings and rooms smelled terribly of mildew and the rooms were very outdated. We only stayed one night - one too many.
They did have continental breakfast by the pool. Nothing grande toast, bagels, fruit, etc - ok, but my husband swears he found cat hair on his muffin from the many cats roaming the property.
Too bad the owners don't put some money into the rooms, the property itself seems like it could (was at one time?) be a nice place.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
33  Thank luvND
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Lime Tree Bay Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach

Been to Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon? Share your experiences!