“Best dive/snorkeling in the Keys”
Review of Abyss Dive Center

Abyss Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Abyss Dive Center is a PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center, offering dive instruction, from Discover Scuba Diving to IDC Staff Instructor. Dive medicine instruction through Divers Alert Network and US Coast Guard captain license courses, 6 pack and Masters. As a Scubapro Dealer we offer servicing on equipment and sales. Abyss Dive Center offers two tank boat trips daily on our 34' Crusader, Vitamin Sea.
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Friends went diving while I sn orkeled for the first time
The owner, Tracy Brenner was knowledgeable about diving, being a Master Diver. She fitted me for the proper snorkeling gear ; and knowing it was my first time, put me on a boat with the magnificent Captain Bob. He allayed my fears..and off I went into the ocean. Everyone, even the divers were great with this novice! Love Abyss and recommend it highly. They offer certification dive classes too!
Going back in June!!!

in 50 reviews
in 29 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Service was great. Went with Tracey for two days diving an snorkeling. Very professional. Daughters first ocean dive since certification in Traverse City, Mi (Burr). Everything was perfect. Only six people on board. Very relaxed. Sites were good. Eels, fish plenty. Tracey an I could snorkel by just looking over side of boat. Greg in office very helpful. Lot of operators in Keys, but try the Abyss, Downunder with Abyss will free your Soul!

2  Thank Tama27
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I had a great experience at Abyss over three days last week (February 2014). The Abyss operation, which includes the dive boat Vitamin Sea, is efficiently run, worked with us quite reasonably when weather threatened dives, and had a steadfast focus on safety. I didn't rent equipment, but their rental gear appeared to be in MUCH better shape than what I've seen most other places. My buddy got his rescue diver certification and gave high marks to the quality of instruction. I would recommend Abyss without hesitation.

1  Thank Dugaru
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I brought out son to the Keys after Christmas so he could get a couple if dives in since he was recently certified.

Based on the reviews on Trip Advisor, Abyss was the clear choice. We checked in the day prior and filled out all the paperwork so we would be ready to go in the morning.

After gear fitting, we walked out back to the boat and got everything loaded and set out for the reefs. I requested to do Sombrero or Looe reefs based on recommendations I found online, but the Captain said that Sombrero would be too crowded and Looe was too far away. Instead, he took us to Samantha and Horseshoe reefs.

The seas were rough with 4' swells but he got us anchored over Samantha reef and gave us a quick description of the reef. It would be better if they had a whiteboard on the boat to sketch out the reef layout and specific orientation points for easier navigation since dive guides aren't included with the dives.

That being said, we entered the water and tooled around the first ledge and headed toward the second. After not seeing anything for about 60 yards, we went back to the first ledge and poked around there until we hit 700 psi. Viability was about 40' and there wasn't much to explore on this reef.

Before we got to Horseshoe reef, my wife and son were seasick so they passed on the second dive. Horseshoe was a much nicer reef with more colorful corals, an abundance of sea life and about 70' of visibility. It was also very easy to navigate, but not a very large area so we doubled back and went over the same areas for a second look.

All in all it was a positive experience, but if you want to see more interesting formations, Sombrero reef is the place to go.

2  Thank John B
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I always research the dive centers especially because we are new to diving. They were awesome! Captain Karl was great! A retired Navy captain, we were in good hands. We hired a dive master and had the pleasure of diving with Beth. She was so patient and accommodating. They were all great! There was also an instructor on board, Nick He was working with children getting their certification. Oh...the diving! Great. Lots of fish, barracuda, shallow reef. A great experience. When we dive in Marathon, it will always be with Abyss.

2  Thank Betsy612