“Most horrible place in the Keys to Stay!! Run!”
Review of Yellowtail Inn

Yellowtail Inn
Ranked #13 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Booked a room at this so called resort and barely could walk into the room because of the awful smell of urine! Christian at the desk then offers another room; super...only it is infested with hundreds and hundreds of flying bugs. So disgusting we leave and are told money will be refunded. Guess what? They do not refund any money and when we call to question they tell us too bad go ahead and dispute it with your credit card.

Most awful customer service and accomodations ever!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maria32772
BonefishResort, Manager at Yellowtail Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant experience. However, slamming us online does not expedite the refund process.

There are newer reviews for Yellowtail Inn

Reviewed 2 May 2012

I was booked at the Bonefish Resort. Couldnt find the check-in office. Called, was told I was upgraded to deluxe suite at Yellowtail Inn. Checked in, they couldnt tell me why I was upgraded. Got to the room, kitchen & cabinets covered in roaches. All kitchens items was dirty. Room extremely small & very dusty/dirty. The is no BEACH front! The pictures on this site & Bonefish are very decieving.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michele B

I'm sorry you didn't like the free upgrade you were given. Our housekeeping staff is very professional and they do an excellent job, and I apologize if their work didn't meet your standards. I'm afraid I don't understand why you would say there is no beach- I myself find it hard to miss.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I stayed at the Yellowtail Inn for 6 nights in one of the oceanfront cottages (105 and 106 are the cottages). Elijah was the front desk person who checked me in. He was very friendly and helpful in arranging all of the accommodations. I had spoken on the telephone with both Joe and Christian and they too were soo helpful. When I arrived to the cute, keysie, oceanfront cottage, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had a wood deck with a patio table and chairs, double glass doors led into a cozy living area with a very comfortable sturdy futon, tv and a totally new fully stocked kitchen area with new appliances and utensils, dishes, pots and pans. The tile floors were new and immaculate. I stepped up into a small yet perfect bedroom with a full size bed and wicker furniture. The bathroom was small but all immaculate and well maintained. Maria, the lady housekeeper came by to check everyday and make sure that everything was clean and asked if I needed anything. The views are beautiful. Totally Florida Keys, you are on the flats and when the tide goes out you can walk down and out quite a distance and find a spot to sit in the water and relax. I also took a daily dip in the small pool behind the cottages which was private and refreshing. The pool was clean and the water was pristine. I observed the grounds maintenance person diligently work to remove the seagrass that washed up on the shore to create a path for one to walk out on the water. He also performed security at night and since I was alone, I felt very safe as I observed him checking the premises at all hours. This is not a new resort, but it is well cared for and under new management from what I was told. I live closeby and am planning on returning again. The cost was extremely reasonable for the accommodations which were simple, clean and bug free. I loved being on the water and being somewhere that was quiet and peaceful. I observed that you could also bring up to 2 pets but I did not. This definitely added to my Florida Keys experience and will be my new favorite place to get away too.

Room Tip: I highly recommend either the penthouse, or cottages 105 and 106.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
BonefishResort, Manager at Yellowtail Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thanks so much for your feedback! We loved having you stay with us, and we can't wait to have you stay again! Thanks for the cake, it was delicious!

-Elijah

Reviewed 23 January 2012

It is not a "pricy" place and very cozy, great beach, gorgeous views!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vyanak
BonefishResort, Manager at Yellowtail Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Thanks for the kind words! We definitely appreciate your business, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 23 January 2012

My weekend started out with me saying "I need to get out of dodge and run away". I live just up on the mainland in Homestead and wanted to visit Pigeon Key as it was the 100 anniversary of Flagler's first complete train to Key West. I'm not rich, not even 'comfortable' in some standards so I was looking for reasonable. I booked their cheapest room at $99 per night. I then read these reviews. I was scared!
When I got there, it was just after sunset. Front desk guy wasn't over the top friendly, but was just fine. Had trouble finding my room (101) and he came out and showed me where it was. I opened the old "single wide trailer styled cottage" french door and was quite surprised! There was nice tropical styled furniture, and a comfy recliner and cable tv. I then turned and saw a kitchen in the next room! Wow I thought. Had a nice little table, smaller full sized frige, mini stove/oven, sink, microwave, toaster and coffee maker! Made me wish I'd brought some food items with me.
I then ventured down the hall and found the bathroom. This left lots to be desired. It was clean, sink, shower & curtain and toilet area. It was very dated. Very small sink. Don't expect to put stuff on the sink without it falling off. But it did have a vanity to store stuff and an under the sink cupboard. Paint was peeling. Shower enclosure needs to be replaced but did the job. Clean.
Then I went on to the bedroom and it was small but had a queen bed and a mini rattan chest of drawers and closet. Another walk in type closet was off the bedroom. ??? Had alarm clock and its own window air conditioner. Not too loud. Didn't bother me at all.
Were there bugs? Of course! Its Florida! And more important, Florida Keys! Hard to get by without any bugs. Mainly those little pi*s ants. Didn't see any cockroaches, or other weird bugs. Trust me, I looked.
So I quickly dropped my luggage and headed out to the beach area. Not bad! Walked to the pier to catch the last glimpse of sunset to take a photo. Breathtaking!
I would recommend some renovations, especially the bathroom, but it is what it is. High season in the keys means high prices. Heck, some campgrounds there charge you $75 a night. So $100 per night is cheap for the keys. Maybe in Aug or Sept, summer/hurricane season prices come down, but that's to be expected.
What else would I change? Since they provide dishes etc I would provide dish soap and or disposable plates, flatware, cups. But heck, get some dawn dish soap and refill them with a bulk bottle when needed.
Oh, outside there was a little patio with a plastic table/chairs with umbrella and mini full sized weber grill. Not a smokey joe.
I would also advise the owners to let their guests know that there are no close convenience stores. Can't just walk down the street to a walgreens to "pick up" stuff. If they knew this and to buy their own dish washing stuff, they'd be prepared.
In summary, if you're looking for a cheaply priced stay, this is not bad. Just be prepared for less than 5 star accommodations. I would stay here again. Its off the beaten path out of the city proper on Grassy Key. Just relax, you're in the Keys! Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Babsy1969

Thanks for your kind words, we appreciate your review of our resort! We are constantly working to maintain and upgrade the property to offer the best possible experience to our guests, and we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

You would think a small family owned property would at least carry amazing customer service for such a poorly maintained property. I was cursed out by the front desk manager, "Christian" for calling to change my wake up call more than once. When I went to confront him about his poor customer service and to check out to go to another property he hid in the back office and refused to speak with me. If this were any other property I'd complain to a higher authority, but the higher authority seems to be his father!! Do yourself a favor. Spend the extra $20 and go to a Holiday Inn. I won't ever go back and would never recommend anyone to stay at the Yellow Tail Inn.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Alice S

First of all I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, but I feel like there must be more to the story. This is a resort for vacationing and relaxing, and wake-up calls are not a service we offer. Christian, our office manager, is a consummate professional, and is not related to the ownership. He is courteous and respectful to each guest and I stand behind the quality of his work.
Again, thanks for your review, and I'm sorry if we failed to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

I agree with the stay in your car sentiment. Smelled so strong of lysol or something that we had to keep patio doors wide open to air out. Looked dirty; didn't want to touch anything. Swimming pool the size of a double hot tub. Outlet in bathroom didn't work. Shower curtain full of mildew. Dirty kleenex left in bathroom; hair and dirt on bathroom floor. Ceiling light full of long standing accumulation of dead bugs. We put an extra sheet on the futon because it didn't seem sanitary. No ironing board or iron. No breakfast. No attendandant there to check out or complain to in the morning. Couldn't wait to leave! Couldn't get any money back by the time we checked in. Beach area was fine. Be careful not to stub your toe on the one inch change in elevation into the bathroom

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank MarBalaz

First of all, thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We are very proud of our rooms and we work hard to keep them in top shape, and I doubt if your room was actually in such a state. We have daily housekeeping service to make sure every room is clean. We actually have 3 swimming pools, the largest of which is a full-sized pool. Ironing boards and breakfast just aren't things we offer here, and never claimed to. Our office opens at 8:30 each morning and closes at 10:00 each night, and our staff would have been happy to assist you in any way possible.
Again, thank you for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Yellowtail Inn? Share your experiences!