“SCAM” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Jacksonville, Florida
“SCAM”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Their website is very deceiving. This place in reality (July 2013)does not look at all like it does on the website.There are no amenities that an actual resort would have (Restaurant, Bar, Pools, Swim Beach etc). The beach at low tide is several hundred yards out and not deep enough to swim. Buildings are old and need updated badly. Grounds are dirty and no grass or chairs were present. When I asked the desk personnel where to swim they directed me to one area north and one south where you have to get in your car and drive. We showed up and were very disappointed, but their policy is to keep your deposit ($562.50) and call you a no show or forfeiture. Price was very high for the lack of amenities considering the Hilton Key Largo Resort charged me less per night. In my opinion, these guys make their money on the inflated deposits people are asked to provide during the reservation process. When people show up and decide to leave, they just keep your deposit and rent to someone more desperate than you!

Room Tip: Never saw a swimming pool, but pictures from other travelers show it to be the size of a hot tub. Di...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 373gbaker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I found this hotel and was hesitant after reading the reviews but i booked it just because it was on the ocean. I was a little nervous at first but was surprised at the size of our room #109. It had a kitchenette, pull out sofa, fridge and everything you might need to stay there a few nights. Our room was facing the ocean and about 50 feet away. Each unit has its own patio and grilling area and grills are provided for each unit. Yes they could update the interior and get a AC unit that is not so loud but we were happy with what we got. It was close to everything. The sunrise was amazing and overall it was very peaceful and quiet. IF you want something fancy there are other hotels around that you should go to. But if you are out to have a good time and spend money on food and drinks and not accommodation than this is the place to go. I will definitely be going back and staying in room 109.

Room Tip: From the reviews i read and pictures i saw pick room 109 its probably the best room around.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I placed a reservation on Friday morning for the following Saturday night. Explained to desk clerk Lisa Gelm, that I would be traveling Friday, staying overnight in Ft Lauderdale. Then driving into the Keys on Saturday morning. Confirmed that they allowed dogs..that it was a 2 bed unit. I would be traveling with a co-worker and we would not be able to check in until 6-7 pm. We had work to do in Key West earlier in the day. Asked Lisa if there were any big events happening on Saturday in the Keys that would conflict with traveling on route 1. She said no.
Upon arrival to the Keys, I stopped in at the Yellowtail just to introduce myself and confirm again that staff would be on duty that evening. I was told yes..until 10 pm. When we got to the hotel on Saturday night I was told that my reservation did not exist. After several nervous minutes waiting the desk clerk " MIKE" said that I was a no show for the prior night! What?! Absolutely not true.
I told him that I would be happy to show him my hotel confirmation in Ft Lauderdale placed prior to my reservation with Lisa, on Friday morning. This was their mistake, I'd like to think it was clerical but after reading the dozens of horrible reviews on every travel/hotel site I think they are running a scam. That clerk Mike didn't bat an eye..I was in tears as there are only 3 hotels in town that allow dogs. All were booked. So after driving/ working over 12 hours that day we were all forced to drive out of the keys and a very long distance to Central Florida where we live. To add insult to injury, the manager Tammy refused to speak with me until today. " she was off" Well she is off allright. Off her everloving rocker. Rude doesn't even begin to describe the way I was treated by Mike Saturday Night he also echoed the same words as another reviewer posted..saying I should learn to "read better" Tammy also said that I told them the wrong day, not that it was their error. I called the hotel again yesterday and got to speak with Lisa who originally took my reservation. She admitted that she remembered talking with me, and " doesn't know what to say" I said..please tell the truth to your manager. I at the very least deserve my money back. Guess what? Today they billed my card 178.88 after quoting me 159.00 for the room.
Then an additional 13.50 for resort fee.
Tammy said the 13.50 was an error..but she refused to credit either charge. I've filed a complaint with the Marathon/ Keys BBB. Although I'm not that hopeful it will help as they already have a "F" Rating. I have also filed a complaint with the Chamber of Commerce who suggested I call them, because they were Pet Friendly.
Additionally Tammy nor Mike would tell me the owners name. So here you all go: free information.His name is Robert Moir phone # 305-453-6261. He doesn't answer and his mail box is full. If you make a reservation here..you might as throw your money over the bridge on the way in. They will not have a room waiting for you, will still bill your card and then some..refuse to issue credit, and blame you to boot! Please learn from my mistake, look elsewhere. Buyer beware..they also own the Bonefish Resort. Worst hotel management and staff I've ever encountered.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank pinkshell2

Travellers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Cocoa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I just got back from staying at the Yellowtail Inn. I must say I was very surprised. I read all the negative reviews on this hotel and was scared to death on staying here, however we got to the hotel and immediately was greeted by a young gentleman. Once inside the lobby the lady that checked us in told us that the room that we were suppose to stay in the stove was not working so immediately i thought great even though we had no intentions on using the stove however she said that she would upgrade us. She upgraded us to room 112. Let me tell you this room was wonderful. It had to bedrooms with one of the bedrooms that opened up right onto the balcony with a gorgeous view of the ocean. There was a small living room area and kitchen and 2 bathrooms. The balcony had a table and chairs and a grill. We were allowed to use the big pool at the adjacent hotel that they owned. This was the perfect getaway and I will stay at this hotel again. I never saw any bugs and we always got fresh towels each day. I dont know how the other rooms are but room 112 is worth the money just for the view alone.

1 Thank mkennedycvt
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

We chose this hotel as it was pet friendly and the photos looked very nice. We chose the private ocean front cottage right on the beach. The cottage was relatively clean (although the vinyl walpaper in the sunroom was bubbling off the wall) and it had a small kitchenette as well. The outside deck was well weathered and could have used a refinishing. The outside light could only be turned on by twisting the light bulb. Unfortunately the weather was quite bad and we found when it was raining, the water poured down from the air conditioning unit quite heavily. The photos on the site definitely did not reflect the actual grounds the way they are, unless in the off season (when we were staying) they don't groom the beach and grounds area. There was quite a bit of trash in the immediate ocean area so we didn't venture into the water because of this. One night we decided we would stay in and barbecue, but upon inspecting the grill, we found that the last user left food on to burn onto the grill and there wasn't any cleaning utensils for the barbecue either. I would think that since this was part of the unit, it would have been inspected and cleaned. We did bring all of this to the attention of the desk clerk which she said, we'll look into it. I also stopped in at the office on the first day to ask for a broom (with the cottage being right in the beach, you tend to drag sand in), they didn't have a broom available. I feel this should be in each cottage so we can sweep up the sand and not drag it all over the unit. I can say that the unit has amazing ocean views though but I don't think it justifies the price. Also, another reason we chose this place as it had an adjacent restaurant but we were never told that it was closed for renovations (I had asked about it as we didn't want to drive all over just to eat). The Inn is located in a excellent spot with phenomenal views and I think if there was some renovations and upkeep done, it would be worth the price of the rooms.

Room Tip: The ocean view cottage is nice since you are right on the beach but if you're taller than 6'...
2 Thank Lesley T
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

Spur if the moment trip over memorial weekend traveling with a pet left options of where to stay very limited. Next time will sleep in our car or stay home if this is the only place left. The entire place needs an overhaul NOT just routine maintenance. It sits on a beautiful piece if property the buildings have been neglected for decades.

We stayed in the 2 bedroom ocean view (top floor of the "office"). Going to the room thru a ramp, looking over the railing a view of "junk" can be seen (possibly a "work" area). A door next to the entrance of our room/suite was basically rotting away (Home Depot sells cheap doors). The room SEEMED clean UNTIL we went to bed once you turned downed the bed, bugs were found IN BOTH ROOMS/BEDS!!! Luckily I had sheets in my car (purchased earlier in the week that hasn't made it "home")!!! The towels in the bathrooms had holes, I wiwished I had bought towels too!

The next day (LUCKILY CHECKING OUT). I went to ask for additional "towels" I informed the woman at the desk of the bugs, she was going to have maintenance look and spray. I said that'll be good for the next guests. I asked her if something would be taken off or bill for the bugs she said probably not as she went on she only works on the weekends.

I sent an email explaining the situation show my sheets etc and requested a credit of some sort. I have yet to hear back from Michael who so readily and easily took my credit card and charged the stay.

In the process of contacting my credit card company to see if we have any recourse (unsanitary conditions).

Don't buy that this place has "The Keys" charm. You can find it elsewhere! We have stayed in other cottages that were FREE OF BUGS as well as other amenities to justify a "resort" charge (this place is NO RESORT).

P.s. "They" own a property next door too (Casa del sol - i think) STAY AWAY TOO unless you enjoy smelly junk along with a debris and a garbage container in the "driveway."

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank DreamerVilla
mtn. view
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

I too, had a bad experience with the yellow tail inn, in Marathon Florida. My boyfriend and i were traveling, and contacted Hotels.com to book a room at Marathon. It was about 6:00pm, and not knowing we were only 20 minutes away, I booked a room at the Yellow Tail Inn. When we arrived, I went into the office to check in, and my boyfriend came in, and said you better look at the room, because it doesn't look so good from the outside. The grounds were nasty, and the sand was full of trash. The tide had left trash and debris, which had not been cleaned up for days, and it smelled like sewage. The trim around the front door was missing, and the walls were buckled from previous water damage. The room looked like a converted storage building. The bathroom and bedroom was built on a platform making the ceiling low and uncomfortable. We went back to the office, and told them that we would not be staying because the room was not acceptable. They informed me that my 177.00 would not be refunded. Really? The reservation had been made for 20 minutes! Not like they held the room and missed a sale. Hotels.com had told me that I had until 11pm to cancel the room. After a two hour phone conversation with hotels.com, they informed me that I should have cancelled the room three weeks prior to my stay! I got one idiot after another, and no relief at all. I contacted visa, and the called hotels dot com, and we were on the phone for another hour. After the visa rep got the same run around, she opened a dispute for the charges. But the worse part is that the Yellow Tail inn has no customer satisfaction policy. I would sleep in my car before i gave them my business.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank karen105
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Amara Cay Resort
Amara Cay Resort
#5 of 19 in Islamorada
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,255 reviews

Been to Yellowtail Inn? Share your experiences!