“Old world feel”
Review of Yellowtail Inn

Yellowtail Inn
Ranked #13 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2014

If you are looking for a feel of old Florida with the amities of OLD FLORDIA then is what you need. The view from out door was great but in side we had ants it felt like we were the visitors in here home not the other way around. the shower curtain was full of mold and mildew. we only had one good light bulb in the bathroom. and much more. also watch you feet when walking in the sand they needed to rake the sand there was old beer bottle tops and trash all over the sand. on the plus side there was a nice pier that one could fish off of, sit and enjoy the breeze and the hammock was very nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anna W
There are newer reviews for Yellowtail Inn

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Resort fee? For what? For lights that don't work, pools of old standing water in the bathroom, no shampoo or amenities, no extra roll of toilet paper, no pillowcases on extra pillows, old stained sheets that don't stay on the lumpy mattress, a loud, outdated air conditioner set in a filthy windowsill, no headboard for reading in bed, "wi-fi" in name only, and an inflated bill upon check-out including an (unitemized)$12.00 "service charge"...for what? In ALL our travels throughout the Keys over 25 years, we have never encountered such a disaster of a place. We couldn't get out of there quickly enough. It should be rated with minus-5 stars.

Room Tip: Stay at another place.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thorfinn44
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed in a one bedroom oceanfront efficiency which although it did have direct ocean access and view sat behind two other buildings. None of the windows opened and several looked into adjacent storage sheds which coupled with the door that opened out made it difficult to get fresh air into the rooms.
The head of the bed, which had no headboard, was up against a closet with an accordion door making it impossible to sit up in bed. The bottom sheet would not stay on.
The bathroom was very small with tiny sink and a shower head that was very low. There was no spare tp and even after running out and requesting a spare roll none was left.
Although not dirty the whole unit was badly in need of a makeover. The wallboard and moldings were old and poorly fitted. And as previously mentioned the windows didn't
open.
The unit, in my opinion, was overpriced and there was not much value received for the $60 resort/facilities fee. One day during our 5 night stay we received no maid service and another they only replaced the towels.
In fairness I must say the inn is centrally located giving excellent access to all the Keys. However I would not recommend the efficiencies/cottages at the Yellowtail Inn. There are motel rooms and multi-room suites on which I cannot comment.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank smithpond
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Mold on shower curtain and baseboards in bathroom. Water on floor and soaked towel on sink. Insect holes on entry curtains. Small ants on floor. Very nice staff relocated us in the morning to a nicer room but it still not worth more than $50 per night. My friendly advise to the owner is to spend $300 on each room to get them to subpar standards.

Room Tip: sleep on the beach.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LawayneB
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Rented room/apartment 111 penthouse and had a great time with the family. Large space - two bedroom, 2 full bath, big kitchen, gigantic living room (with two futons for extra sleeping space) with fantastic view of the Atlantic (best side as the bay side can be smelly). Quiet/tranquil/not a lot of noise, felt like going back in time to quaint Keys. Was a last minute booking and they were very cooperative. Will be back.

Room Tip: Room 111 penthouse
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Glendon H
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We have been staying at one of the resorts at this location for 5 years. This year I decided to rent room 111 which is the Penthouse of the resort. It is beautiful, spacious and very well equipped. What I love most about the unit was the 2 full baths. With 4 adults that made it very handy. The beach is beautiful. We snorkeled and swam to the left of the pier the 3 days we were there. Seaweed would wash up at high tide and the staff would remove it daily. This resort is Not South Beach, Fort Myers Beach or Daytona Beach type place. This is place where you come to relax. It’s not about the boardwalk, beach stores, specialty restaurants or amusements. It about tropical weather, palm and coconut trees and the beautiful Atlantic Ocean with all its natural living fish, corals and birds. This is where you find nature with no fluff. If you’re looking for relaxing and powering down from the everyday commitment of life you’ve found the place. No worries, no problems just beauty and relaxation. When arrived this year we were surprised to see that someone had opened the restaurant in front of the resort. It was fabulous. You could find a huge variety of wines and beers. High end deli meats and cheese and breakfast, lunch and dinner, what an addition to the already perfect paradise. We arrived a day earlier than planned. We couldn’t wait to get there. I called and Heather didn’t have room 111 available. She suggested we take 112 over the office. I was pleasantly surprised the views from this unit were the best I have ever experienced at this resort. I will book 112 every time from this day forward. Room was comfortable and well equipped.

Room Tip: Bring water shoes. Its a must to experience the Atlantic.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ronbernie
Reviewed 16 March 2014

So .... After confirming a reservation for the 2 Bed/2 Bath Oceanfront suite I found these reviews. OMG... It was too close to the arrival date to request a refund. My family and i were pretty worried. We took sheets, towels, bug spray, TP etc just in case the reviews were well founded. I emailed the motel sharing my concerns and hoping for sore re-assurance. I was contacted by phone the next morning by Heather who was handling reservations. She claimed that the bad reviews were highly exaggerated and I had nothing to worry about if my expectations were realistic... That the place has some age, but great efforts are made to keep it clean and in good repair. OK... we'll see.

We arrived Friday between 9PM and 9:30. The office was still open and staffed with one person on the desk. Driving up I saw a fenced in parking area leading to a 3 story building above the office. Well enough lit. From the outside everything looked good and appeared to be painted within a reasonably recent time. Not a speck of trash. Good breeze off the water.... No odor from the beach. we checked in... all as represented. Check in was pleasant and without any surprises.

We got the room we had reserved and being on the third floor, we had One flight of indoor stairs to get to the living area. New stairs, well lit, reasonably freshly painted walls... Up we go/ Top of the stairs 2 Bed/ 2Bath decent small kitchen, baths were clean and adequate for what they are intended for. Fantastic lighted covered deck/ porch with a table and chairs all of 10 yards from the Atlantic ocean (if that). Beach below our porch was clean. Beautiful night view. Back inside for the real test... check the place for cleanliness.. Fridge... perfect. Stove fine. Microwave..looked good. Blender... fitting for the setting. Bedrooms... spotless sheets, 6 drawer dresser, 2 night stands, working (although admittedly tiny) TV on cable. free WiFi strong but a tad slow if you are used to real high speed/. Ceiling fans in bedrooms and living room.. A couple more lights in the living room would have made reading at night a bit easier. Overall.. I can see that this suite, sitting just a few feet from the water, would be very difficult to keep in good condition and clean. But that is exactly how I would describe it . And I can appreciate that it did not happen by accident. Remarkably... we did not see a bug between Fri and Sunday. Paint looked reasonably fresh everywhere. No stains or marks anywhere. Never saw the pool. But I knew there were two others if we needed it. The place is pet friendly which saved us some money and allowed the "family" to weekend together. We had little interaction with the staff after check in... did not need any. Although we did see the beach being cleaned in the morning.

A little unrelated: Restaurant was good food, good service, everything we wanted.

I don't know what the deal is with all the very harsh reviews. From my perspective, these would have to be considered very unfair. I can only say that our experience was very good, not at all as one would expect after reading many of these.

Room Tip: Suite 112 3rd floor just what we needed. Can't imagine the floor below us being any less pleasan...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jim H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Yellowtail Inn? Share your experiences!