“My storage shed is bigger than the rooms here.”
Review of Bonefish Resort

Bonefish Resort
Ranked #15 of 16 Marathon B&B and Inns
Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
“My storage shed is bigger than the rooms here.”
Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

Tiny room. Previous tenants thong hanging in the room. No coffee maker as advertised. Staff was pleasant and resolved the issues promptly. That being said, it is what it is, Possibly the least expensive hotel in Marathon. Had availability when others did not. Was significantly less than the $350 for the larger hotels in the area.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Peter H
BonefishResort58, Manager at Bonefish Resort, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Thanks for the review, and for the kind words about our staff. We are aware of the problems at our motel, and working very hard to bring the quality up to the level that our guests expect and deserve. We have recently brought it all-new management, a new housekeeping staff, and have renovated several rooms, as well as several aspects of the property in general. We are always working to improve!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 24 March 2013

If you like bugs, bad air conditioning, cave like dwellings and no hot water or water pressure then Bonefish is for you. The place needs to be bulldozed. The WiFi worked which was a huge bonus and the area by the water is nice.

The highway is very close to your door and it sounds like the trucks are going to drive through your room. The floors are sticky/gritty tile. We couldn't find the office until finding a piece of paper that said the office was several lots north on the highway. The shower is really horrendous. It is a little tiled area with an old shower curtain and absolutely no water pressure.

4 Thank BorderCreek
First of all thank you for your feedback, and I’m sorry if you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. The Bonefish Resort is a small motel, and that is exactly what we advertise it as. This is premium oceanfront property in the Florida Keys, and while we realize that our units aren’t compatible with a 5-star hotel, we feel the price is fair. If your needs are for something more than what we offer at the Bonefish Resort then our hotel group has larger and newer units available at neighboring properties, all priced accordingly. Our units are clean and comfortable, and we work hard to maintain them and keep them in good condition, which isn’t always easy with seasonal hurricanes and tropical storms. Please understand the attitude and atmosphere of the Keys- the high-rise condos and 5-star resorts of Miami and Daytona simply aren’t available here, and quite frankly it isn’t fair to expect that.

Travellers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Otsego, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 March 2013

When we called to book we actually thought we were getting a room at "Yellow tail Inn" which just down the ocean a bit. (Also is owned by this owner) So after reading the reviews we were scared. We were in room 304 which was very clean- or as clean as possible since the property is in need of a total update. The fridge and stove both really need to be thrown out they were both very rusty and old looking but they did work. The ocean area/dock is beautiful. My husband would not stay here 2 nights in a row but it really didnt bother me one way or another since the ocean area made up for the old run down rooms. The yellow tail didnt even look like it was open.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the ocean they looked bigger and more updated. Dont wait til the last minute to boo...
2 Thank MNangel
BonefishResort58, Manager at Bonefish Resort, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thanks for your business, we hope to see you again!
Sebastian, Florida
Reviewed 17 March 2013

What a pleasant surprise. I booked Bonefish in a hurry as most of the Fl Keys was sold out. I checked in last night with my girlfriend. Now I'm writing this review from the property's wifi. I was so thrilled about being down here on the ocean, that I decided to write this review. I saw some maintenance people on the property doing some painting. So they must be in process of making the place look nicer. Though it didn't look bad to begin with. It's a small resort on the ocean and it's cheap. The view from the ocean front is amazing. I took some pictures and uploaded them. I was able to go to the office at yellowtail and get some info on places to see while we're here. They don't have a restaurant but there was one under construction right in front of the yellowtail inn. I'm excited about the next time we come. This place will forever remain our little secret place. Great memories to come. Thank you Bonefish....

1 Thank ronald w
Thanks for the nice review. We are working hard to make some much-needed improvements to the hotel. Thanks for the nice pictures too! Hope to see you again soon!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I was skeptical about booking here after reading some of the reviews. I called and spoke with a front desk person named Elijah and he was very nice. I stayed in a guest room style unit. It was small but I didn't need anything big. It was just for me and was only $129 per night with a $10 resort fee. I said "ok let's do it". I got to the resort. Registration for Bonefish Resort is at Yellowtail Inn. There I met Elijah in person and he was nice again. I stayed for three nights. I mostly stayed at the resort and just waded around the flats for hours when the tide was high. It was even better when the tide was low because I was able to collect the shells that are out there. There are lots of birds off the shore line too. They allow their guests to use Yellowtail Inn and Casa Del Sol Resort amenities too. Amazing natural location. And it was incredibly busy when I was there this past March. I met quite a few nice people who were also staying at Bonefish Resort and loved their stay. I will be coming back.

Room Tip: Park on the side of Bonefish away from the Highway.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank explorer123123
Thanks for the kind words! We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit!
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This "resort" is a business operated, it seems, by its off-site owner and/or unavailable " hotel manager" as little other than a cash-generating Venus fly trap ensnaring the unwary traveler's credit card account.

Do not be fooled by their website! Do not book it sight/unseen!

Bonefish "resort" is an old and decaying trailer park long overdue for being shut down as a health hazard. Rot, bugs, decay -- all this for a non-refundable" cost of $175 or more per night.

I notified my credit card company I am placing the "non-refundable" overnight charge(s) -- and an entirely unauthorized charge of $22.50 posted on my departure date -- into dispute. Yes, unauthorized.

I have also made a formal written complaint (with digital photos) of our run-down room -- replete with holes punched in the wall, dead insects, and stained and torn bedding) -- with the Marathon Chamber of Commerce.

Margaret Taylor

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Mctphd
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 7 March 2013

The resort is upkept and is in serious need of major repairs. Our deck was unsafe, the foundation of the unit was off its cement blocks and the floors tilted and doors did not shut. Parking accommodates 5-6 cars and is right off the busy highway 1, and you can't see your car from any of the motel units. The business office is located a block or so away, and they serve three motels, so there's no personal connection. I imagine the owners are nowhere near the area, which reeks of sulfur when the tide is out. We stayed only one night, and lost our money for the additional night we had booked, but it was unsuitable for habitation.

1 Thank Ruth R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Seashell Beach Resort
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Casa Del Sol Beach Resort
Casa Del Sol Beach Resort
#15 of 17 in Marathon

Been to Bonefish Resort? Share your experiences!