“Disaster vacation”

Bonefish Resort
Ranked #14 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
“Disaster vacation”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

8/17/13 There was an " ocean front" studio. When we enter the smell of clorox bleach was nasty. I asked the customer service representative that date and she can not help me find another room. LA the furniture was dirty and smell bad. The floor was uneven and we can not be affordable and comfortable with our stay.
8/18/13 We spoke with the MAnager Tammy M and explained the situation. We asked her for our other day lef and she said there is a hotel policy for not return the money.

This was my first visit to the Keys and will be tha last due to a bad customer service and ugly conditions in this " resort"

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Nixelle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I was there last weekend...ants in the room, roaches in the bed, crabs in the pool, beer bottles EVERYWHERE! The doors in our room didn't lock properly. ACs didn't work. We asked to speak to a manager and they wouldn't give me his name!

The desk clerk named Lisa agreed that she wouldn't pay the money that I paid for these horrible conditions for two days. I asked for my money back and they said no refunds, once you've paid, you're stuck!

I wouldn't recommend this place to ANYBODY!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Armando M

Travellers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Placida, Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2013

First the pictures on this site isn't close to what the place is like. So called resort is in disrepair and quiet dangerous in many respects.
Rented the deluxe accomodations, moved to another room which was less dreadful but still pretty horrible. Ants in room, microwave didn't work, poorly equipped kitchen, television lost communication, dvd didn't work, ceilings falling down, sandspurs, 2 loud wall ac's and still hot, smelled moldy, could have been cleaner, Pool was not clean and even had a couple of crabs in it.
When I told management that I wanted to check out, I was told there was not a refund for early checkout.
The only plus was a beautiful view and met some nice folks and all had a good laugh at how deceiving the pictures were on the web sites.

My review, please folks, stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: The tip is, there are not any any good rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nanny651
Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
Reviewed 22 May 2013

My boyfriend planned to stay here overnight as a present for my birthday. Unfortunately, neither of us read the reviews before we went down there. If I had seen them I certainly would have had my BF rethink booking the reservation. The room was very hot and there was an undersized window AC unit which we cranked down to 60 and it was not cooling the room at all. The smoke detector was hanging from the ceiling by the wires. The stove and the refrigerator did not appear to be connected and I would not use the silverware provided for all the money in the world. The shower stall had some crappy tile inlay at the bottom that was all moldy. There were no towels in the bathroom. There was a trail of bugs along the wall near the ceiling in the bathroom. There was nothing that would even resemble a resort or warranted the $12.00 resort fee. When I called the front desk from my cell phone, because there was no phone in the room I advised we would be leaving and I wanted a refund to which I received a very flat no. I am sure that was because the person I spoke with hears this all the time. When he went to check in my boyfriend overheard the person at the desk advising the caller "no refunds". So it is quite obvious people are complaining. The person at the desk then advised it sounded like I was looking for an upgrade. Really?! What is the upgrade? A room with towels? Bottom line is this place is advertising falsely and has a no refund policy in place because they know what a crappy establishment they are running. They should be ashamed of themselves. I am not sure how anyone can do business like this and look at themselves in the mirror. I plan to write a review on every web site this place is listed on and I have contacted the Marathon Chamber of Commerce and will contact the Better Business Bureau as well. The conditions in this place are deplorable. I think prisoners have better conditions.

Room Tip: I strongly advise you do not stay here! They call themselves a resort and do not even closely resemb...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Patricia K
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Oceanfront fabulous view. Small pool and beach BUT filthy. Mold, grime, sticky floors, at least 1/4 inch dust on everything. Paid in full and in advance and could not get refund immediately after seeing room. Bought bleach and Lysol and cleaned myself before staying in room. At the real laugh is a $12 per day "resort fee". Stay away.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Deborahro
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We found this hotel via Hotelclub.com as we didn't know at that time that there are other means to find accommodation. First we drove pas the place and when we entered the 'Resort' nobody was there. Reception closed but a handwritten note redirected us to the hotel next door where, surprisingly, we got a key. The room door hardly opened and the floor was more of an inclined plane. There was a sleeping room with just the bed, a sitting room with a hole in the wall. and a kitchenette. As the electrical installation didn't look very safe we didn't dare to use it.

So stay off!! Maybe the building has collapsed in the meantime.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Retired-travelling
Toledo, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I flipped out after reading all of the negative reviews on the Bonefish Resort after I paid the down payment. There were no options this week for Hotels in Marathon. I am a world traveler having logged over 2 million miles. I stay in nice 5 Star hotels but sometimes when in a bind must take what I can find so I know both sides. We rented 2 rooms at very low prices for the Keys so did not expect much but worried about cleanliness. Both rooms were very clean small but comfortable. AC worked excellent. How can one expect something more for rooms in the Keys for under $200? The Holiday Inn was booked but were advertising alternatives dates for $265. Come on....There were other couples and a family at Bonefish there this week and they seemed to be quite happy.

Room Tip: One of our rooms was close to US1 and you could hear if a truck passed. Get rooms closer to gulf if...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pawlicks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Seashell Beach Resort
Lime Tree Bay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key

Been to Bonefish Resort? Share your experiences!