“Smelled like fish”

and 1 more site!
Bonefish Resort
Ranked #14 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I wish I had read the reviews. Stopped here on the way to Key West, just needed a place to stay for the night. Was initially quoted a price of $169/night for the cheapest room, which was then "discounted" to $149/night. I now see the guestrooms go for $99/night online. We entered the room which smelled so strongly of fish we checked the garbage to see if the previous guests had left their catch there! The hotel manager did move us to another room after commenting "I knew there was something wrong with one of those rooms". The new room certainly smelled better but the furnishings were quite old, the kitchen contained a few old mismatched dishes and a knife that couldn't cut an orange. I have stayed in better motels for a third of the price. If you are planning ahead there is no reason to stay here!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dan447

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I didn't expect much, I didn't need much. I was riding my bike from Key Largo to Key West and know that during the winter season prices double and triple and for what I paid, $159, I couldn't expect much but this was probably the worst facility I have ever stayed in and after 10 years of hotels all over Africa I am an expert. It is disgusting, filthy and miserably uncomfortable. The rooms are no more then wooden shakes build 50 years ago. And to make it worse you pay your reservation "in full" and then they surprise you with an additional $13 "resort fee". So even though you think you have paid the full amount they tack on an additional $13. They won't give you your key until you do. Don't even think about staying here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ToprodChicago
Reviewed 27 March 2014

we went for 2 nights, finally we stayed 1 (thanks God), the place is dirty, needs a lot of repairs, full of cockroaches, dirty plates, dirty bathrooms, unfortunately I didn't read this site until I had already paid for 2 nights, Do yourself a favor and stay away from this place!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank peppermiami
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The only thing I can say good about this place is the view God provides. The rooms are run down, one side of the room is lower than the other such that the bathroom door will not close. The "resort fees" are for wifi that does not work and cleaning the beach that is raised from the real beach. I really regret not reading the other reviews before making this reservation. Stay away! The cancellation policy has kept many a traveler from refusing the rooms and finding someplace else. I've stayed in better camp grounds.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bob B
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Everything in all the other reviews pretty much sum this place up, unfortunately I didn't see this site until I had already paid for two nights. Looks like they made a small effort based on some of the older reviews to clean the place up a bit, but that is where it ends. To say this place needs a lot of work is a gross understatement, a small effort made in repairs would go along ways here folks! A fiberglass shower stall that had tiles glued to the bottom with loose tiles laying on top of other tiles and missing, not sure if they were put in with a dark grout or that was just black mold...disgusting! Think old trailer park that should have been torn down years ago and that sums it up. This place might seem like a bargain in the keys but after they tack on the extra $13 a night for "resort fees" its not that much cheaper than anywhere else. I have stayed in some crappy places in my life and this one ranks right up there with them. Do yourself a favor, if you are spending the time and money to travel to the Keys don't spoil your trip, pick another place...odds are in your favor of it being better than this!! Take a look at the photos below, more could be added of the broken door lock, rusted top on the mini fridge, undersized window AC unit that never stopped running, probably good that it didn't, it helped drown out the traffic noise from US1.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jocro2014
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Dont believe the good ones folks. My wife and I spent two nights here and it was far from pleasent. The only reason we stayed is because it was out only oppertunity to get away before soem time apart, that and the no refund policy. We only live two hours away and I was very ready to jump in truck and headhome with no quams at all. the trip actually turned into more of a test for the wife to make the best of things. The view from the beach was amazing, and the staff was pretty nice, but, pretty much all of the negative stuff here is true, holesin the wall, ants, bad AC, cracked tile, uneven floors, bad locks. I give mad props to the photograper who snapped the pics on the website. This place has mountains of potential, but right now the two rooms i seen were reminicent of an old trailer i once ived in. They should level the buildings and rent out camp sites, it would be more worth it. I frequent the keys all the time and have seen the quaint, and rustic fish camp like places, this place just needs to try harder. Fair warning travelers.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank steven r
Reviewed 20 August 2013

8/17/13 There was an " ocean front" studio. When we enter the smell of clorox bleach was nasty. I asked the customer service representative that date and she can not help me find another room. LA the furniture was dirty and smell bad. The floor was uneven and we can not be affordable and comfortable with our stay.
8/18/13 We spoke with the MAnager Tammy M and explained the situation. We asked her for our other day lef and she said there is a hotel policy for not return the money.

This was my first visit to the Keys and will be tha last due to a bad customer service and ugly conditions in this " resort"

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Nixelle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys

Been to Bonefish Resort? Share your experiences!