“Great Time!”
Review of Spirit Snorkeling

Spirit Snorkeling
More attraction details
Owner description: Spirit Snorkeling of Marathon – providing daily snorkel trips to Sombrero Reef & Pirate’s Cove. Specializing in families and first time snorkelers, our friendly crew will take you on a fun filled adventure to the either the Sombrero Reef Marine Sanctuary and Lighthouse or to our special location on the Florida Bay—Pirate’s Cove. Sombrero Reef is the third largest barrier reef in the world and this beautiful 30 acre coral reef ranges from 2–30 feet deep with thousands of tropical fish. The Sombrero Lighthouse was built before the Civil War and today still helps mariners navigate the Keys with its light. Coral Reefs are among the most biologically diverse ecosystems on earth. They are second only to the tropical rain forests in the number of species they harbor, and indeed are sometimes called “The Rain Forests of the Sea”. You haven’t really seen the Keys until you’ve seen our under water areas. If the weather is too rough to go out to Sombrero Reef our dedicated crew will take you over to Pirate’s Cove, where the water is generally much calmer. Here you will see many species of tropical fish, under water plant life, lobsters and even sea horses. The water is quite shallow, making it a perfect spot to snorkel. Even sightseers enjoy our trips as many species can be seen from the boat. We take no scuba divers, we only go to shallow water snorkeling locations and Back Water Eco tours.
Reviewed 10 July 2014

In Florida for a week, way up in Fort Myers. Decided to take a day or two and drive down to the keys and try snorkeling. Read lots of reviews, and decided to head to the middle keys. Decided on Spirit after reading about them and the others on Marathon. Called a day ahead, was dealt with efficiently (they were checking in the 1pm tour, and offered to call me back, which she did in about 15 mins).

From the road, its not much to look at, literally "behind porky's" BBQ joint. (In fact, for directions, use porky's in Google maps) But they were very professional, efficient, and both the captain and divemaster took their job seriously and were both a bit humorous, and serious when appropriate. Full boat for us, 43 I think, but plenty of room, and a fun ride out.

The Sombrero reef was amazing for me, a 1st timer. Gear was nice rental gear, clean (they sanitize everything in Clorox water) and worked fine for me. We were given some beginner instruction, regarding equipment, and also how to snorkel and where to go/not go. It was a total blast for me, my wife and our 14 year old daughter. I dont think a single person on our ride had a bad time. Conditions were nearly perfect, slight swells, no wind.

Both my wife and I however did not heed the advice of many people, and did not take Dramamine... so... we both felt a little "green" on the way back (NOT from the ship, but from "bobbing" while snorkeling) - wont make that mistake again. But I STILL had a good time, and would do it again in a heartbeat. And just like the captain said, once he got moving back in (and a nice splash of water hit me) I felt a LOT better.

I can fully recommend this company for any first-timers/families out there. Good time, safe, fun, and a good value.

5  Thank cnyguy2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,550)
All reviews
in 31 reviews
"morning trip"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had 7 people in our group. We arrived at 8:45 to depart at 9:00am. The captain and first mate were very funny, happy and very nice and helpful. They took us to Sombrero Lighthouse and we had a wonderful time snorkeling and having fun. This trip was 30.00 per person which included the mask, snorkel and flippers. Out of our party of 7 people my husband had the only issue with the mask filling up with water. He had to swim back to the boat three times to get a mask that didn't leak, but the rest of us are fine.

3  Thank Laura H
Reviewed 4 July 2014

crew and captain very nice. Boat was clean and equipment in good shape. Time frame on the reef was just the right amount. Do not sit at the front of the boat on the extreme left or right unless you want to get wet.

1  Thank Tom1051
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Our group of adults contained very experienced divers and 2 who had never been snorkeling. From beginning to end we were very impressed. The boat was great; clean and well maintained. Captain Dan was great; we felt safe and even laughed. His dive master was also excellent. Smooth ride out to Sombrero reef, we had been dodging storms all day and when we got out to the reef the sun finally shoed itself. We had more time then we could have asked for. A little crowded but had a good swim. They made our friends who hadn't snorkeled feel very safe. No complaints here! We highly reccommend using Spirit.