“Decent Shop, Kind of misleading.....”

Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center
Ranked #12 of 80 Tours in Marathon
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain Hook’s Marina and Dive Center has been the place to get everything you need for a day on the water. We have won the TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence three years in a row now and we are here to show you the best time here in the Florida Keys. Charters for fishing, diving, snorkeling, dive instruction and certification; bait and tackle; scuba equipment and air tanks; boat rentals; snacks and beverages—we have all the supplies you’ll need to enjoy an area celebrated for world-class fishing, diving and all water sports. We now offer paddleboard and kayak rentals and tours, and kiteboarding too! Check with our staff to see when the next sunset cruise will be departing...they are great fun.
Naples, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Decent Shop, Kind of misleading.....”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Spent a week in Marathon with my family. I am an experienced diver with over 200 dives just in the past 3 years. Everyone at the shop and on the boat are super friendly & knowledgeable. The shop has lots of odds and end stuff that you may need if you forgot something.

The thing that disappointed me about Capt Hooks is a reef dive trip they sold me. I stopped by the shop early in the week looking to get in the water. They told me nothing was scheduled till the weekend, but if something came up they would call me. I did get a call later in the week saying they booked a reef trip and asked if I wanted to get on it. I went to the shop, paid my $75 and then was told directions to the boat. Upon arriving at the boat, I realized I was the ONLY diver on the boat and the rest were snorkelers. Long of the short is, we ended up on a 18ft deep reef with a boat of snorkelers that paid $25 for the trip, and I paid $75 for mine "dive" trip.

Everything else was good. I would not tell you to not go here, but if you are a diver, make sure you are going with other divers and they are not just trying to fill the boat and get more $$$ for the trip.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Kyle A
CaptHookOwner, Owner at Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
I think this review is a bit unfair to us. Our motivation was to get you diving so you could enjoy the ocean. We said we would call to try and get you out diving when the boat goes out and we did call. Many of the reefs are shallow reefs in Marathon and almost all of our divers love them regardless of the depth. The two sites that you went to that day are both deeper than you suggested at 18 feet but they had shallow areas to allow the snorkelers to see the reefs.

Because you were the only diver, we added a divemaster to the trip to help in the water with you, exclusively. In doing so, any money we would have gained by adding you to the trip completely disappeared. So our motivation was solely to get you on the ocean, not to get any additional revenue and certainly not greed. It is not us. We have the absolute lowest price in the Keys for snorkeling and we are one of the few that provide a complimentary divemaster/instructor in the water and our dive prices are among the most reasonable. We have on numerous occasions become the buddy diver of a sole diver just to get someone out on the ocean. We appreciate the time it took to write the review. We hope you come back and visit us again.

Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“great dive at "The Thunderbolt"”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Great boat, great crew and great site. Had a wonderful dive at the Thunderbolt as Mike was my dive master who guided us that trip. He was very knowledgeable and looked after us when we were down at 110 ft. I felt very safe with the crew as they explained everything well and made sure all equipment was working. didn't have a dive computer so Mike was sure to review the dive tables with me so I would be safe for the 2nd dive. He triple checked his dive charts at our safety stop to ensure we were ok to ascend to the surface as we were pretty deep on the first go around. I was a solo diver but was paired with an older women as we both stuck to Mike's side. It was a very comfortable experience and I would recommend this shop to anyone who visits Marathon. Lots of Fish and a few HUGE Goliath grouper around the sunken ship...We left the dock around 830 and was back by 12 as that was nice to have the rest of the day to enjoy.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank ski2sun70
The Thunderbolt wreck dive can be a challenging dive because of the current and is considered an advanced dive. It is however one of the most accessible wreck when it comes to going into the different areas of the ship. It has been down for over 25 years now with some good marine growth and some pretty big inhabitants as you noted. It has a fascinating history as well. We are glad you enjoyed the dive and thank you very much for the kind words. The Florida Keys has a great Wreck Trek with different wrecks from the five regions of the Keys. It is a worthy quest, filled with excitement, exploration, great boats, and history. We hope to see you back here at Captain Hook's, in the near future for some more adventure. We have a great waverunner tour of the area as well, which is a great near shore activity.
Marathon, Florida
“Two of my best dives”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Two great reef dives. Two of my most relaxing dives ever. It was great to get some dives in while my family snorkeled. Catherine the dive master was a fantastic host to the reef and protector. During the dives she was collecting fish hooks with line attached and I helped her get a garbage bag off some of the precious reef. I like the idea of having a dive master that knows the reef and can point out the different types of fish. I did not have to think about where the boat was. She was even kind enough to lend my son her personal wetsuit when she learned that he was cold while snorkeling. The dive master as well as the crew and the people in the shop were friendly, polite and knowledgeable. The shop is well equipped. This dive outfit deserves 5 stars.

Visited April 2014
Thank you for the great review and for the help keeping our reefs clean and debris free. We consider it our responsibility to keep our reef clean…it is our livelyhood. We have had crews that have removed huge illegal nets off the reef, cafefully having to work the nets off the coral to avoid damage to the reef. The ocean has plenty to offer everyone, if everyone is responsible in its use and care. Thank you as well, for acknowledging our divemaster, she is super and has grown into a dive career here at Captain Hook's. Having a divemaster can offer a diver a more relaxing dive knowing someone is in the water with them with the experience and knowledge of the reefs. Please come back to see us soon.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Experience in the Florida Keys”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Captain Hook's has everything you need for an experience that you will never forget. The whole staff is very friendly and easy to get along with. You feel like a part of their family instantly. Our family got scuba diving certified and couldn't have had more fun. Our instructors, Denise and Dave, are the best around. They attended to our every need and made sure that we felt comfortable throughout the week. We had loads of fun and will be retuning this summer for more dives! Give this place a visit for unforgettable memories.

1 Thank Preston K
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is always nice to get a review like this. We are looking forward to your return and for more diving with you. The summer offers a unique opportunity to dive sometimes without a wetsuit in a little warmer water and we find the divers really love that. You may want to try a night dive as well. Our summers offer more days in a row of calmer seas so it is a great time to plan for multiple dives. Thank you for the kind words.
“Best SCUBA instructors in the Keys”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Recently got SCUBA certified at Capt. Hooks along with family of 5. Dive instructors Dave and Denise were extremely knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. We had some divers that were a little apprehensive on our first check-out dive. Denise and Dave were able to give them the attention they needed without neglecting the other divers. By the end of our certification, we were all thrilled about diving (even though the wind caused vis. to be down during our check out dives). Great people and great diving. Definitely worth a visit. Proud to be one of Denise's "dive muffins."

It is always nice to read a review like this. Denise and Dave have been doing this right for sometime now and they always give their best for the divers at Captain Hook's. They take great pride in bringing the ocean to new divers and they're fun people, so it is nice to hear a review that mentions them. I hope to see you back here at Captain Hook's to continue your dive instruction/education and skills or to just have fun on our ocean down here in the Keys. We have lots for you to do and you should try it all. Thank you for the review.