“Pearsons2011”

Ranked #2 of 16 Marathon B&B and Inns
Vandalia, Illinois
“Pearsons2011”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Just returned home from our second stay at Captain Pips. The location is great and the accomodations are super clean. The rooms could use some updating and fixing up, but still a very nice place to stay. The staff are very friendly and accomodating. We took a fishing trip with Howard and Tom. We brought in 20 snappers! Wow! Kept us in food for a few days. Tom tried his hardest to help us bring in a grouper, but I just wasn't strong enough. There was a daily visitor, a manatee, that really enjoyed the attention. Again, if you are looking for a nice getaway, Captain Pips is your place! My son really enjoyed a man who works on the grounds. He says Hi, Omar!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mandy P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We love Captain Pips, Porkys Bayside and especially the owners and staff so much that we got married there! Always outstanding accommodations, great food and great service here. I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed November 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We were just in Marathon for Thanksgiving and thanks to Captain Howard Kelley and Tom Beck (also a Captain), we were able to dine on delicious triple tail for Thanksgiving dinner. But I digress; before we caught the triple tail, we spent all day hauling in mahi! Howard wasted no time getting us to the fish and with Tom's organization and helpful direction, we four land lubbers were reeling in the catch. On our way back in, Tom and Howard spotted the triple tail and told us we couldn't pass up the opportunity to catch some- proof that these guys are serious about making sure you have a good time and they're serious about their fish.

The administrative side of the house is fabulous and professional as well-- I'd dropped our camera on the deck of the boat, so we couldn't take any pictures of our haul. Enter Ellie, who took pictures and emailed them to us right away.

If none of the reasons listed above convince you to try Captain Pip's, then consider this: after working all day, making sure a bunch of tourists from Atlanta didn't hook each other or fall over, Howard filleted every. single. fish we hauled in, bagged it and prepped it all for us to ship home. He was at it for over two hours, making conversation with my brother and father the whole time.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Holiday, Florida, United States
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We really enjoyed our stay and look forward to coming back next year. Thanks to you and all your staff (especially Jessie and Tom) for making our stay a pleasant experience. We also all the meals at Porky's..everthing we eat was well prepared and generous portiions. Had a lots of fun at the Halloween Party. Thanks again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Two weeks ago was my fifth time staying at Captain Pip's in the past two years and I look forward to it every time I go. It is not a 5 star hotel but it is a comfortable, clean, friendly little spot, hidden in the Keys, where you can go and enjoy some of the best saltwater fishing in the country.
For the price you cannot beat the fact that you have a nice spot to stay (I always stay in the efficiencies) and a nice center console boat. Add to that the fact that you can cook your own catch in your kitchen or on one of the grills outside, or, if you're too lazy (like I often am) you can bring it over to Porky's and get it in a few different ways.
I've never had a problem with the staff and they are extremely accomdating. For example, this year I ran into problems with Hurrican Irene making it impossible for me to get down there and Barbara worked with me to reschedule and even though it was last minute, I was able to use my deposit towards the rescheduled date. The dockside staff is also very helpfull and full of tips for you. I admit, I have had problems with a boats here and there, but nothing beyond what any boat owner would experience, and the staff always had me back on the water and fishing in no time.
Location, Location, Location. It's right next to the Seven Mile Bridge, so if the weather is a little too windy, you can usually go fishing on the Florida Bay side, but if you want to fish the reef, a trip under the bridge to the reef side is about 5 minutes. Another 20 to the reef, depending on the weather, and then the fishing fun begins.
Like I said, I have stayed there five times now, only for fishing trips. Anywhere from 1-5 of my friends/family with me. I have spent days there where the weather is just totally uncooperative, but the location gives you plenty of other option: bridge fishing, sightseeing, lounging and enjoying cocktails. And Porky's is always a favorite spot for me for eating, drinking, and listening to some great local musicians. The staff there is, without a doubt, the greatest. Somehow they always seem to remember me (I'll credit that to their great memory and not my unforgettable personailty).
Fishing trips are what bring me down there, and if you are new to the area, or want to target a specific species, they offer guides, or full charters for a comparable price to other local charters. I have not taken a charter but have used their guides on occasion and have always learned something and caught plenty of fish. Coming from New Jersey, fishing the Keys is quite different, and I would recommend using a guide if it's your first time down there, or you'll be lost.
The one and only complaint I would have is that I wish the chum and bait prices were cheaper for those staying there. It becomes a bit of pain to have to stock up on some things the day before, or wait until the local shops open in the morning. Other than that, no compaints, and I look forward to visting again. Hopefully soon!

Room Tip: I always stay in the Sombrero Efficency, though my friends have stayed in other rooms. I just like...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank scottm7360
LI NY
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We've went 2 years in a row,around march.March can be windy. But we did pretty good. The rooms are run down,but its about the fishing.They all have full size fridge. You rent the boats for the day with the room.If you want to rent a boat & stay somewhere else you can do that to.Porkys is right there,foods pretty good,nothing fancy.We would go back.We like the set up.Price is pretty good,with room & boat.Love fishing in the keys.You do need to know how to operate the boats they have good gps.

Room Tip: You can bring your own rods.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vicsdahlias
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I will never use Capt. Pips again. While my family was visiting Marathon, we decide to rent a boat and enjoy the beautiful waters of the middle keys. After some research we decided to go with Capt. Pips.  I should have known that something was going on when the person at the dock informed us that the fuel gage was broken. Also the English women at the front desk was extremely rude and condescending.

We went out for a whole day but mostly just fished at one spot on the 7 mile bridge. When we returned the gas bill was over $300 dollars! This was how much the boat was to rent! I felt that my family and I were taken full advantage of. We never got further then 1 mile of Capt. Pips. I will never use you guys again and would appreciate it if you take me off your e-mail list.

Unhappy customer

• Stayed February 2011
7 Thank wcgandy
PorkysBBQ, Manager at Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway, responded to this review, 15 October 2011
This reviewer and his family rented a 24ft Cape Horn with twin 150HP Yamaha engines
on February 27 of this year.

Their recorded float plan was to go out to the reef to snorkel and fish, and they rented snorkel gear from us to do that. The reef is 5 miles out into the ocean. The fuel used was 63.4 gallons at the rate of $4.57/gallon at that time, so the actual fuel cost was $289.74. Although some of the fuel guages are not working, we do make sure that each boat is completely full of fuel before it leaves the dock. When a customer comes in, they pay for the fuel that they used that day. With 5 people onboard the boat and a trip out to the reef to snorkel, plus trolling for fish with two engines the fuel used is not out of the ordinary.

We are sorry that he had a bad experience with us, but we really do not rip anyone off. We cannot control the cost of fuel unfortunately, and it has been very high in the last several months all over the country.

We did send one of our newsletters out to him before we knew that he was upset with the fuel cost. We have since removed him from our email newsletter list, and will not send any more to him (per his request).

There was never any intent to be rude or condesending to him, and I must apologize personally for any actions on my part that gave him cause to feel that way.

The majority of our customers are very happy with their experience with our boats, and with all of us (myself included) here at Captain Pip's. We strive to make everyone's time with us as much fun as possible, with as little hassle as possible. Unfortunately, only a few of the happy customers post a note online, but they do come back to us time and time again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key

Been to Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway? Share your experiences!