“basic hotel, very poor service”

Blackfin Resort and Marina
Ranked #6 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I had no problem with the basic 60's style of this place, the dirty floors, or the price premium charged in the Keys.
However the service I received from the desk manager really saddened me.
I am from australia and use international calling cards to ring home. My father has cancer and with the 15 hour time difference I would call him each evening (US time) to check on his condition after his treatment.
Despite offering free local calls, my phone line was dead. I politely asked the desk manger if he could connect my phone, to which he told me to press 9 for an outside line, as if I was a moron.
When I advised that pressing 9 did not get me a dial tone, he said bluntly that everyone has a cellphone these days anyway. He then looked away and went back to watching his tv show, turning up the volume as if to discourage any further disruption to his evening.
So as I headed out into the evening in search of a public payphone I was really impressed with not just the professionalism displayed, but the lack of compassion for an international guest.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 March 2013

From the outside it doesn't look like much, but the rooms were very clean. The bathroom was small and looked like it was just updated. Very easy to find on the main road going thru Marathon. Excellent restaurant down the road near 7 mile bridge called te Sunset Grille.

Room Tip: In this area it seemed like a good value for your money.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Older 60's style 2 star hotel at a Keys premium that would be less than half the rate if it were anywhere else. Room was clean except for a stray hair in the shower (no bathtub). Rooms are drive-up but located away from the highway so nights are quiet. Microwave and small fridge included on a rickety wicker table. The tiled floor (no carpet) can be cold in the morning. The tip envelope on the nightstand was tacky. For a little more you can probably find something better with a view.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Good location, small and very dated decor, but clean and friendly. The Neighbor had noisy wind chimes but when the ac was on they did not bother us. The sunset view was very nice, and we appreciated the little fridge and microwave. Would have liked a hair dryer and a box of Kleenex!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Blackfinn was a disappointment after reading the good reviews on Trip Advisor.
While the view from the manufactured beach is awesome and the pool is quite nice, the location was good and the marina is lovely and the bathroom had been remodeled, the room was dingy and dark with faded bedspread and very small windows too high to be seen out of, no hair dryer, no kleenex and just shapmpoo and soap for ammenities. Sheet had stains (though it had been laundered) and when I could not get the WIFI to work (it worked at the McDonalds) I was told it must be my Ipad because no one else had complained.Housekeeping left a lot to be desired. The tile floor was so dirty the first night that the soles of my companion's feet were black by the end of the evening. Nothing was ever straightened in the room and crumbs remained on the floor. Air donditioner was very noisy and seemed to have only off and on with the fan. However, it was nice to have a restaurant on the property.

Room Tip: Get a room near the marina. It is less of a walk to the "beach".
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We were pleasantly surprised at this location. Despite the outside appearance the rooms were very nice. The beach and pool were great. Just a short walk to the restaurant where the service and food were great. The only downfall were our neighbors. There is no privacy when enjoying the outside. We had neighbors that were loud and seemed to be everywhere we went. It would have been excellent if we would have had separations by each room and our neighbors were quiet. The man at the front desk was very accommondating and let us check in early so that we could enjoy a full day in Key West. Thank you Sir.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Not many inexpensive places to stay on the Keys, but this one on Vaca Key in Marathon is centrally located, fairly clean, and has some nice amenities. The rooms are good-sized, have 2 double beds, and the one we had had a large "mini-fridge" (one of the tall mini fridges)...so we were able to keep a 1/2 gal. of milk, 1 gal of iced tea, some things in the freezer, and much more. That was great and not expected. They do have laundry facilities, which comes in handy if you want to dry a few towels like we did. For the high price of a room, don't expect a Hilton, and no breakfast. One surprise was the floor was ceramic tile...and not clean. We walked barefoot or in socks (hey, it's Florida), and everytime we looked at our feet they were nearly black. Ugh. We asked the housekeeping gal if she could wash the floor- unfortunately, she did not comprehend our English. Too bad.

The other 2 surprises...the motel had a heated pool, warm enough for any cold-blooded person to enjoy. It was good sized and was a nice place to meet people. The other surprise...the Blackfin has access to the Gulf side- their own marina and dock, and sandy walkout to a point, complete with benches, chairs, and lights at night to see by. Nice touch. They even had an underwater light in the ocean, which attracted fish at night. Cool!

I'd recommend staying here. Not a ritzy place, but adequate. They could work on upgrades to the rooms, and redoing the walls.

The other guests were nice to get to know. Met some nice people. Easy access to free beach 10 mins away (Sombrero Beach), a shopping plaza- grocery store, drug store, Kmart, etc were 5 mins away. Easy to drive to many vacation spots within 15 mins.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family