“Tent camping”

Knights Key RV Resort & Marina
Boston, Massachusetts
“Tent camping”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

It is a nice place to stay, but maybe not the best if you're going tent camping (as you might guess from the name). We went there because most other places were booked out. It's just not the right atmosphere for tent camping in my opinion. Also you're right next to US 1 (although what place in the Keys is not?) so you will definitely hear the cars going by at night.
Other than that the place is not bad. If you pay more you can get a spot close to the water. The whole area is lit by streetlights in the night (again not so great atmosphere for tent camping, but you can feel safe) and patrolled by the police/sheriff. They also said they have security personel, though I never saw them. The bathhouse looks okay, has several showers and toilets. They also have a bar on the water (which we never visited) and a club house with pool, table tennis and shuffle board. And they have Wi-Fi.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hummingfly

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My son and I like to tent and planned on staying at a State Camp Ground but my boss took so long to approve my vacation this was the only place open.Why you might ask? Well it's expensive for a tent site, 70+ dollars, 2.00 a bag for small bag of ice and you'll need at least 2 bags a day if you tent. After we got there we saw sign at modest hotels for the same price. Which would have been handy when 30 mile an hour winds and torrential down pouring rains came in and I thought we were going to be swept out to see(slept in car one night). Of course they give you a big 10% discount if you pay for a full week so we were locked in in spite of bad weather.
It took us 3 days to find the "man made private beach" small but sweet, the restaurant had weird hours and was closed I think every Sunday Monday Tuesday , not sure, but the one time we went it was cash only and no cash machine. I liked the staff in the hut at the entrance, very friendly, the park was very quiet, no riff raff, bathrooms were clean and someone put fresh cut flowers in the womens bathroom which was a nice touch. I think they gave us the best spot in the whole camp ground which I am not going to tell you because I want it if I go back. Oh and the location was fabulous, near 7 mile bridge and nice restaurants- all and all a b+ the only thing that would make it better in my mind would be a pool or a lower price for tenters-45 max.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dania Beach, Florida
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We had a great time here. We’re not huge into camping (in tents) but since the weather has been so nice we thought we’d give it a try. I’ll be honest, this was last minute and this was the only campground we found available, so that’s how we chose it. Reviews were limited, which is why I am taking the time to write about them, and I took some photos. We travel to the Keys very often, but this was my first camping trip in many years and we figured we’d try something new in the Keys for us.

All in all, we had a great time. We were there for two nights, and took a partial ocean view spot with electric and water on site. I can’t talk about the tiki bar or restaurant because we never made it. But I stopped on for coffee Saturday morning and they were friendly and nice. Sunday, maybe it was the time change, but I went there at 8:15 am and they weren’t open yet. I wasn’t aware of the hours either so I really can’t say for sure, but again, I was just there for coffee which I got on the road. On a longer trip, I hope to check out the tiki bar.
There were others camping in tents, but mostly RV’s. The restrooms and showers were very well taken care of and clean. This was of course the most important detail in my mind and I was happy to feel comfortable.

The employees were friendly at check in and check out, they were very helpful. Trash service was always on time. The property was quiet overall. I felt a bit too quiet at times and was nervous about making noise, but everyone staying here was friendly and courteous.
Again, short trip, but we’ll be back. Great location; close enough to the city of Marathon, and right on the top edge of the 7-Mile bridge. I liked the location and the campground overall. We were even close enough to Key West to drive down for a few hours and come back up to fish a little while and cook out by the tents. Price wise, I guess the weather was perfect so this is the high season. Still a tad high at just over 100/night including the charge for the spot, another charge for each person, charge for the water view even though it wasn’t partial view (it was no view) and (of course) all the state and tourist taxes. I’d stay again, but if I pay for a water view again I will be more specific or I’ll take an interior spot if there aren’t any available.

Room Tip: There were some good ocean view spots I saw while walking around. I was told we had a mangrove tree...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Lenny A
U.S.A
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We stayed at Knight's Key between Christmas and New Year's. Extremely friendly staff, clean campground, and (compared to some other campgrounds we saw) spacious sites. There is a small restaurant on site, but have cash with you because they don't take credit cards. The tiki bar also does not take cards. Or a liquor license, so if you want a mixed drink, they will serve you the premade stuff that you get at the grocery store.
The campground is quiet with some excellent views. Bathhouses are well maintained with plenty of hot water. The campground is within walking/biking to Pigeon Key, as well as restaurants near the 7 Mile Bridge.
We will definitely keep this on our list of potential places to stay while in the Keys.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank tnslp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
The Hammocks at Marathon
#7 of 17 in Marathon
Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Knights Key RV Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!