“decent, not fancy”

Seashell Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed 14 July 2014

this spot has a beautiful view. it is most definitely not a swimming beach! our room was clean and adequate, but not without issues. two towels for five people. gross and basically unusable pots and pans. very bad smell of rotting seaweed. staff not very friendly. we only stayed one night, and really had a lot of fun in marathon, and our room was fine for sleeping.

Room Tip: this is not a beachfront (swimming) hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank paula l

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Never been so grossed out in a hotel room! - I booked this hotel for our trip to the Keys based on the price and location. (Bad decision on my part) The photos looked like we would be staying at a small, nice hotel on the water - thanks photoshop. We checked in and went up to our room (i think it was 10A). It was the size of a closet and dirty. The bed was so soft I nearly rolled off of it trying to sleep. There was no closet to hang up our clothes or dresser, so we literally lived out of our suitcases. There were no chairs in room so we had no option but to sit on the bed. The shower was filthy and we had no hot water the entire two days - which we complained about to the front desk multiple times but they assured us it was working and we must not be turning the handle in the right direction. They let you use the kayaks which was nice, aside from the fact they are so beat up that the backs are missing. Overall experience - bad. I would definitely pay the extra money and stay in a nicer hotel on Marathon!!

Room Tip: Do not book the King bed standard room (10A?) Dirty, small, no sitting areas or closet.
2  Thank Caitlin Z
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I have never been so unsatisfied with any hotel stay in my life. Number one when I booked I was told I had one queen Bed and a pull out bed. Perfect. Then I called two confirm and they said they "upgraded" me to a two queen bed room. Even better I thought... we get there and the woman was extremely rude to us. And when we got into the room at nigjt there was one bed for three people...... please tell me how I go from two queen beds to one. There was more water outside of the shower than in it. And it smelled absolutely terrible. Never again. I totally do not recommend this place I'd rather pay 500 dollars somewhere else.

1  Thank nati91fern .
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here because everything in Key West was super expensive. I immediately was happy with what I found. Beautiful view and a perfect room with a stove and full sized fridge! There was a hammock outside that we layer on. I honestly wish we stayed our whole Florida trip there but we already had other places planned :( also the best snorkeling place was in Marathon!

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here because we were going down to keywest for the weekend and didnt want to pay the crazy prices of key west so we found this place. The room was clean and the entire place was quaint. Theres a dock to walk out out which was beautiful. The downsides of this place was the garbage washed up on the seaweed, no place to swim, and the smell which is not the hotels fault its just the area at lowtide you will get used to it. This hotel is great if want a lowkey quite cheaper vacation great for couples. If your expecting the hilton its def not here. We liked this place wasnt amazing but its a clean, pretty,quite place to stay. Watch out for the falling coconuts from the palms on the cars :) The lady who owns this place is super friendly also. Theres free coffe outside in the morning no breakfast.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was our favorite room from our trip to the keys. You will find a beautiful view and friendly staff. There was low tide and so you seen things that had washed in from the ocean and smell of sulfur. However, this is something that the hotel can not help. There is a hammock and chairs beside the ocean wall and a ramp that has a tiki hut at the end. We sat there both nights and just enjoyed the view. The room did need upgrades. Only concern I had was that around the shower was dirty and when I walked in first time to shower there was a large clump of hair and mildew on shower head, had me sneezing alot. Walls were very dated and coming apart. However you have your own small kitchen and beds. T.v. channels were very view to pick from. But, with a beautiful view who needs to watch t.v. This place was good for the price but not for someone that is a germaphobe. Bed wasn't the most comfortable but this isn't a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Choose ocean front
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Know before you go that the beaches in the keys are not what you normally expect. This motel is right on the ocean with piers, hammocks and views just as you see in the online pictures. The water is full of seaweed and rocks. As long as you know that, this location is great. Marathon is the perfect place for exploring the keys. The rooms are simple, large and adequate. The beds are clean but old. The kitchenette is basic but more than adequate for what we needed. The TV was small, but we didn't come to watch TV. The price is very reasonable for the location. It is pet friends. Request one of the ocean side rooms. All in all the accommodations are average, but the location raises this place to four stars for me. The owners and staff were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: The ocean side rooms have great views and are easily accessed.
1  Thank Jadydomo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina
Lime Tree Bay Resort
The Hammocks at Marathon
The Hammocks at Marathon
#7 of 17 in Marathon

Been to Seashell Beach Resort? Share your experiences!