“Good Old Time Keys”

Ranked #11 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
West Chester, Ohio
“Good Old Time Keys”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The first thing to make clear is that this is not a five-star resort, but then if you are looking for five-star, you shouldn't be staying in Marathon anyway. Luxury is not what the keys are all about. That said we were very happy with our Coconut Cay experience. The rooms were c;lean, the pool was well kept and was a great place to sit and relax as the sun was going down , the staff was friendly, it is close to anything you want to do in Marathon and most importantly, Coconut Cay is affordable. I would like to see the common areas picked up a little better and even though they loan out kayaks you may find that they are already checked out. We understand that the facility was in need of some major renewal and the new owners are getting things together slowly but surely and we know it takes some time. Still we thought those few problems were minor and Its a place we would definitely stay again. So if you are looking for an old time Keys place that is still clean, comfortable and affordable, Coconut Cay is a very good choice. If you are looking for a five-star resort, go to Key West or Miami. You don't really want to stay in the Keys anyway.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. The rooms are small, dirty and smell. The room I stayed in had a small fridge that smelled like fish, a bathroom door that wouldn't stay shut, no shower head and had a used roll of toliet paper in the bathroom. The staff and owner are nothing but total douchebags. He pretty much told us there was nothing he could do and To find another place if I wasn't happy. This "resort" pretty much sits on the airport and the highway. So you hear nothing but plains and cars. After being gone all day the maid never came to clean my room or give me new towels. I went to the front desk for towels and got lectured on how the towels are for the showers only and not the beach. Definitely not worth $125 a night. This is literally a $30 a night hotel anywhere else you go!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Sjdjdkwnxi
travelgurlJ, General Manager at Coconut Cay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
These men were given two rooms at a heavily discounted rate, on a sold out weekend. The maid was unable to perform her job since the guest had their wind surfing boards and personal belongings covering the entire room. We stress to our maids to not disturb personal belongings. We have since cleaned out the fridge and fixed the bathroom door both things that could have been corrected if they had informed the front desk about. For someone so unhappy they seemed to enjoy their 3 night stay

Travellers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Hixson, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Coconut Cay was a nice place for us to stop and spend the night. I regret that my family and I had little time to dedicate to our stay in Marathon. Coconut Cay offered free paddle boat, free kayaks and free bike rentals. The hotel has a nice pool and the rooms were nice and clean. I would recommend this place for a cheap stay in the Keys.

Oak Brook, Illinois
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The staff gave great recommendations on restaurants. The pool was really nice. The pet birds were entertaining. The kitchenette area in our suite was fine and helped us save money on meals. Our daughter found her bed uncomfortable, but the rest of us were happy. My son and I used the free kayaks to venture over to Rachel Key and view the nesting birds. The hotel has a good central location to get around the Keys. Overall, we were very pleased and would stay there again.

Reviewed 16 July 2011

My wife and I were there last week and had a great time. Steve and Pam made us feel like old friends and the efficiency was clean and quaint. The 'natives' on the property were a great surprise and the pool was wonderful. This was our first experience with a "Mom and Pop" style hotel, but we were pleaseantly surprised. The amenities were as described including kayaks, bicycles and fishing poles. My only suggestion would be replacing the current beds to something softer; but that's our preference :)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 July 2011

This past Fourth of July weekend we stayed at Coconut Cay Resort for three nights. We went with some friends and had rented four rooms. The staff were all very nice, exactly as stated in many of the resort reviews. Patty one of the cleaning lady was extremely pleasant and accommodating and so was Eddie the handyman. The location was perfect with a nice beach close by and Kmart, Publix, Winn Dixie a few blocks away. This made it convenient for us to get ice, fishing gear, drinks and food.

Unfortunately, I had several issues that I would like to address. I stayed in the efficiency with my brother, his wife and their nine month year old son. It was the room with kitchenette next to the laundry room. Although the AC seemed to be cooling the room never got cold. My nine month year old nephew would wake up from his naps drenched in sweat. I believe that the combination of the high temperature outside and the laundry room connected to the efficiency had something to do with it. I reported the problem and Eddie took a look at it, changed it to economy mode and left. Maybe adding an additional AC unit may fix the problem.

After my first night sleep I woke up with a back pain. The bed was so worn out that the floor was more comfortable to sleep on than the bed. I reported it to the front desk and within two hours Eddie exchanged it.

The second night my sister-in-law woke up with a huge roach crawling up the wall right next to her bed and the baby’s playpen. She went to kill it and found two more dead on the floor, which were never picked up when the room was cleaned. When I went to report it the gentleman in the office told me that those were palmetto bay roaches and it was very normal to find them in the keys. I’ve done several internet searches and found that boric acid will get rid of them. During my stay I encountered six. This cannot be normal and it definitely is not pleasant. I hate roaches so you can imagine how I spent my vacation.

I used your kayaks and one of them had a whole which sunk out near the island. My brother and his wife had to swim to land pulling it and draining it just to make their way back to the resort. I then used your paddle boat and it also sunk.

Every issue I had I reported to the office. I had truly expected to get moved to a better room or at least get some sort of compensation for my inconvenience.

We sincerely did not enjoy our stay and I will definitely NEVER go back.

1 Thank China-Chin-Chin
Oakland Park, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We had a great time. the people there are so friendly and just real good people.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple