“Wonderful stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marathon
Gulf View Waterfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My wife, 11 year old son and I stayed here for 5 days last April. It was certainly not fancy but it was wonderful. The location was great in middle Keys, the owners/staff extremely friendly and helpful, the pool was warm and "salty" even though its technically a fresh water pool, and access to local activities and restaurants was easy, including the Dolphin research center walking distance away or a short kayak ride around the point to catch a view of the dolphin activities. The hotel accommodations are romantic and 'old school' (as in Bogy and Bacall), always clean with nice decks to sit outside and enjoy morning coffee or evening drinks. If you don't need valet parking and room service at your beckon call, this is a top choice for your Key vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Williamstown NJ
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights starting 9/21. My 20 yrs old son and I went for a mini-vacation. Its about 2 1/2 hr drive from Ft Lauderdale airport and about 1 hr from key West. Its a very convenient location to explore the Keys. The view from their docks/grounds overlooking the Gulf at sunset was beautiful.

The room was simple but clean. The staff was very friendly. The grounds looked a little messy at places, but we saw work was going on. We liked the use of kayaks and the pool was nice. The Gulf water was weedy at this location and the water was better suited for kayaking than swimming. They had a couple parrots which was nice touch.

We were looking for a no-frills, authenic old fashion keys style hotel and Gulfview fit the bill.

The only compliant we had was the shower water never got hot, just warm. fyi-They told us at check-out the warm water was caused by only a few units being occupied and we need to run water before getting shower.

We would recomend Gulfview for a great place to explore the Keys, There is not much within walking distance of hotel and most food and shopping options are a 5-10 minute drive to Marathon. We liked that, it was a quiet location.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jmjbrtw
Reviewed 25 September 2012

If you love the middle Keys, you will love the Gulf View. It is an embodiment of all that they are. The people who run it are incredibly nice and give great suggestions for restaurants and bars in the area. The rooms are sweet, clean mostly old-florida style. A kitchenette was a great plus. They made us coffee every day so we never even had to start up the coffee pot. We had a corner, ground, 2-story unit--the Lobster. We got a 2-br because of our two dogs and all the "stuff" we had to bring. We really didn't need that extra room and just used it to store some things. The hotel grounds are very pretty and I loved visiting the cockatoo, macaws and tortoise who live in a compound there. With all the storms that happened while we were there, we would have loved to have an ocean view, but we had opted not to when we reserved. I might recommend that depending on what you're coming for.

We had some sugar ants in the bathroom, but I think that they are difficult to get rid of it places like this. There were never more than several a day. We saw NO other gross bugs in our room like we have in other hotels.

The pet fee was a little high. With two dogs, it cost an extra $24/day. I guess they have to charge a lot since some people are not considerate with their pets. Seems to me like there should be a child fee based on some things I saw some some children doing. :) I was amazed that apparently some people don't pick up their dog's poop, but after seeing the iguanas, we kind of wondered if the poop was from them. : ) BTW, if you didn't know, iguanas are an invasive species in the Keys. The number of iguanas we saw this time had tripled since we were here 3 years ago. They may be cute, but something's gotta be done!

I will definitely return to the Gulf View Waterfront Resort as long as Mike's family is running it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I always feel welcome. I always feel relaxed. When I'm not there I wanna go back.
I wanna go back, I wanna go back, when I'm not there, I wanna go back....
Shade of palm trees high above the hammock in the breeze, Staring through my toes at the Gulf of Mexicoes- oh and did I mention exotic birds up front and a Tortise the size of a - of a Tortise a medium one! Paddle boat was fun, 4 people havin too much fun out on the water (included,not extra $) Kayaks available - water access - pool available - gas grills - picnic tables - MUST TRY
If you don't go - you'll never know. Owners are good people.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Highworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We arrived the day after "Isaac" and luckily the only damage was a large palm tree down right over Iggy the giant tortoises pen (he was safe in his hut).
I'll start by saying that after the four nights we spent here we'd well and truly slipped into "Keys time' i.e. chilled and didn't feel like doing much in a hurry (which meant that we ran out of time to do the things we'd hoped) and we didn't want to go home. We didn't get to snorkel as the sea was still churned up from the storm which was such a disappointment but did visit the dolphins, Key West and Bahia Honda NP and the old bridge. The location is great but it's 3/4 miles to the nearest convenience store so bring everything with you! Found Mike very easy to chat to about the bars - loved his favourite, Sparkeys, the wildlife (saw two long black scary snakes Bahia Honda - harmless 'Black Chasers' apparently) and his Key West tips were so helpful. We we all enjoyed the free canoes and a short exped to the right led to the back of the Dolphin Research Centre where you could watch them close up in the outer pens. And the children paid several visits a day to the interesting array of animals (the plucked parrot apparently only started his feather-clipping habit following hurricane Wilma - the one that caused all the damage a few years ago.) This place also has HUGE iguanas wandering around too if you're interested in that sort of thing - seriously cool! There are also lovely views off the deck and the hammocks are great to while away some time during the day but at dusk we got eaten alive by the no-see-ums and paid dearly for our photos.
But I have to say, it took a day or so to settle here. We were in the two-bed in the corner unit downstairs and it smelt a little musty (seemed to be due to the air con), although we'd been spoilt in modern apartments in Orlando, then Miami prior to this, and this is the Keys and nowhere is modern! The beds were comfortable (would have liked a small table/lamp on by side of the bed), the shower efficient, although the bathroom 'cozy'. We felt the kitchenette was seriously lacking though. The first thing missing was a kettle (yes Brits always need tea!) Asked Mike who immediately produced a new one in a box - hurray! Next day my son went to warm something in a cereal bowl in the microwave and he burnt his fingers badly as the bowls were not microwaveable - only problem was that this was the only available container. Also we couldn't find anything in the kitchen that could be used inside the bottom of the oven - we had to ask to borrow some foil to cook chicken! Also noted that the pans were badly scored/scraped - not good and did not want to use them when all the non-stick was peeling off.
Perhaps most people eat out when staying in this area but if you're away for some time it gets very expensive with a family of four and we had planned to self-cater to some extent - tried once and it was stressy! This side of things was frustrating when we were so happy with everything else here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sarah-on-her-hols
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 24 August 2012

In 2005, when Hurricane Wilma clobbered South Florida in 2005, the Gulf View Resort was under five feet of ocean water, destroying all the ground floor rooms and stripping all the landscaping except for the tallest palm trees. Mike, who now runs the place with his wife and his mother, returned to Florida to help his parents rebuild the place. Today, there aren't any signs of this debacle. The buildings are painted a cheerful seafoam green, surrounded by hibiscus, flowering bougainvillea, and tons of other tropical plants. The palm trees provide a thick, shady canopy over a couple of hammocks, a small putt-putt golf, and a jungle gym for little kids. The beach is small and not great for swimming (it is on the Gulf side and the water is very still) but very picturesque and great for the paddle boats and canoes provided for guest use. It is also very picturesque. There are gas grills with picnic tables, and a pristine pool area complete with tiki huts for shade. Best of all, there is a tiny aviary with parrots who greet you with "Hi!" and "I love you!", and a tortoise named Iggy who will eat greens and flowers right out of your hands. The place is charming and immaculate, Mike and Stephanie were very nice and obviously care about running a tight ship. We had a very positive experience and highly recommend it.

My only quibble was with the room (we had to change at the last minute because my mother-in-law came with us) and that is there weren't enough light fixtures and even there, Mike brought us an extra lamp for my mother-in-law's room. Sitting and watching TV at night wasn't altogether comfortable but perhaps there is the expectation that folks will almost always be out and enjoying the ocean!

Do stay at the Gulf View, and be sure not to miss the nearby snorkelling, and visits to the turtle hospital and dolphin research center.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper level and (obviously if you can get it) a room with a water view.