“Had a great week!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marathon
Gulf View Waterfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We spent last week (16-23 Nov) at the resort with our two furkids. I can only give high remarks to Mike and his wife for having a great pet-friendly place that you can visit in the keys. The grounds are excellent with a great gulf view, crystal clear pool and even its on aviary. The only area of improvement that I would make is to either replace the mattress or add a topper to the existing one in room 15.

Mike was also very helpful with his recommendations and if you get a chance to catch his band playing at Sparkys Landing then tkae the time to check then out. Mike plays a mean stand-up base.

We would definetly use them again.

1  Thank oweninthekeys

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Beautiful palm trees, water right out front, spotless pool and friendly people. That is what you will get when you are at the Gulf View. The owner, Mike gave us excellent recommendations for restaurants. We stayed on the 2nd floor in the Blue and Gold Macaw Room. It was clean and had a fridge, microwave, stove and kitchen. It was very relaxing to wake up and go get coffee under the palm trees and just eat our cereal before going out sightseeing. If you are looking to relax this is the place for you and your family.

Room Tip: I would recommend being on the 2nd floor as you can then see the water and have the sunshine.
3  Thank David m
Reviewed 16 November 2013

If you are looking for the Marriott this is not your place, but are if you are in the keys to enjoy the beauty, weather and the palm trees with very friendly people you should check this place out. It's located on the bay side of the keys on a property full of palm trees and beautiful sunsets. My fiancé and I had chosen in April last year that we would get married here but we hadn't stayed yet so we thought on a recent planning trip we should stay there.

We are now even more excited! The view is awesome, the family who owns and runs the place is great, and you can go hang out with their tortoise, cockatoo, parrots or the local lizards running around. Coffee is served out under the tiki hut in the morning where you can enjoy the priceless view and meet great people.

Thanks Stephanie and Mike for making it such a nice place to be.

1  Thank Kiddokat
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This place is an awesome place to spend time relaxing. Nice swimming pool, great views, free kayaks and canoe usage, nice rooms, very nice owners.
We went down to the Keys with no plan in mind. When we decided to start looking for a place to stay the night we found out that all of the big hotels were all booked up. Turns out that was a good thing, this place had the charm that we were looking for. If we stayed at a Hampton, Holiday Inn, etc., we would have been bored and it would have been a cookie cutter experience. What we received here was a very unique and memorable time with my loved ones.
The only reason that I did not give it an excellent rating is because it is a fairly old property and it shows in some areas. I would not say that it is not maintained, it is just obvious that the owners are doing it all themselves. They are doing a great job but they could stand to hire someone else to help out.
Oh, I forgot to add that they have hammocks under the palm trees!
I would definitely go back!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I recently spent 5 nights in a one bedroom, ground level accommodation at the Gulf View Resort. Our room was fairly clean, but the housekeeper never mopped the floors while we were there, so my bare feet got black on the bottom whenever I walked around the room. Our 2 double beds were both quite uncomfortable. We didn't have to use the air conditioner--very breezy and nice temps during our stay--and that was good, because I think the mold would have really bothered us. (see photo) The pool was very nice, and we enjoyed swimming in and relaxing by it. The owners are super nice and helpful. Very homey feel. But the grounds are run down and the whole place could really use some updating. We had a large 'fridge, but it had a lot of rust on it and did not cool things very well. The little gas stove worked but was old. The microwave worked but was quite used. The big couch that could be made into a bed was uncomfortable to sit on and very dirty. Lots of grit and crumbs on the cover. I killed a big cockroach in the kitchen. Our unit had a tiny bathroom but the shower was very large and tiled. Great water pressure! Toilet worked great. (important!) The grounds are run down, although they were doing some work around the resort while we were there. The kayak we used had seats that fell out, so I just left them on the dock. Lots of stinky seaweed by the shore wall. Can't swim out front, but we didn't expect a beach. We went to Sombrero Beach instead and it was lovely. Our unit had very little storage space. Nowhere to put our suitcases, a tiny closet, no bathroom sink counter (although there was a little cabinet on the wall you could put items in). I rented a bike and used the nearby paved bike trail. The bike was rusty but worked fine. We took a trip down to Key West one afternoon. No sunsets for us, unfortunately, due to cloudy skies in the evening. Very windy week, too. But of course that is not the resort's fault!
So that's the good and bad of our experience at Gulf View Waterfront resort. It really is right on the water, but the busy road is also just a tiny distance away. I felt sorry for the birds and turtle, too--not much attention paid to animals that have the brains of a toddler and live for decades. They should get rid of them. And there is nothing to do at night except watch the small tv. The other guests were friendly, but invisible at night. We ate in 3 nights and went out 2 nights. Took a walk one night, but the traffic on the road was heavy and there were no sidewalks where we went. I would not recommend Gulf View to anyone who is used to nice condos or hotel rooms, like we are. You will be disappointed. If you like quiet, small, homey, quiet, waterfront, quiet (get my point?) places and sleep well on any bed and don't mind bugs and have your own boat (you can dock it there) this may be a good fit for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere. Read the "average" reviews, too. Not just the "excellent" ones. Those people must have had much nicer units or something. I don't know.

Room Tip: Avoid #12 and 13. #11 was ours. The rooms in the other building on the second level facing the Gulf...
2  Thank sonshine-lover
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Two weeks after being away from Florida we long to be back. The Gulf View resort was a perfect part of our week long stay in the Keys! We loved the view from the 2nd story balcony window through the palm trees...it was soooo cool every morning. On top of that there was freshly brewed coffee for everyone under a tiki hut. Nice!

When we arrived late Saturday night we were able to visit Sparky's Landing (super close) before it closed for a week long renovation because the sweet owners told us to stop there. Thanks a bunch Mike, Stephanie, Jack, and Casey. They were all very friendly, we felt like part of the family!

The location of Gulf View worked out really well for us. We were able to bike to Curry Hammock National Park, walk to the Dolphin Research Center and drive to Key West. Just Great!

At Gulf View we made a morning and evening ritual. On our way out for the day we would visit Coco the Cockatoo and friends. "I love you" was how we started everyday! (You'll have to go there to understand that completely trust me its cute and worth it.) At night we would relax by the pool under the tiki hut play cards and sip on some drinks. Just wonderful..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amy Z
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at Gulf View Waterfront Resort October 8-12 and couldn't have been happier with our choice. Mike was very knowledgable about where to eat, places to see and charters to book for snorkeling and fishing. The room was clean and well furnished. The location is perfect being centrally located in the Keys and is right next door to the Dolphin Research Center. You won't regret picking this resort and we will be returning in the spring with our children.

• Stayed: October 2013