“Great Spot for a Family”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marathon
Gulf View Waterfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Sayville, New York, United States
“Great Spot for a Family”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We just left the resort, and have nothing but nice things to report. The staff was super friendly, and accommodating, the room was small but clean and adequate. The small kitchen and gas grills allowed my family to save some coin and cook in a little. Also when we caught a nice Mangrove Snapper from the dock we were able to cook it for dinner, ourselves. Access to a fishing dock yards from the room in wonderful. Mike and Stephanie have a great family resort here, not lavish but perfect for a family. The pool is clean and well maintained and the use of kayaks, paddle boats etc. is a great reason to stay. There is fresh coffee served each morning near the hammocks and some of the many tiki huts. The view is SPECTACULAR and the location feels very secluded but is close to all the conveniences one could want and right near the Dolphin Research center. We would come back to the Gulf View in a heartbeat. I hope we do!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Scott S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Our stay here in mid-December 2013 was relaxing, enjoyable and a balm to our souls. This scenic oasis in a beautiful setting features clean, full kitchenette apartments with outside balconies - each of which has its own tables, chairs and grill. We took advantage of the nice warm pool, the hammocks set among the palm trees and the free use of paddle boats and kayaks. Our hosts, Mike and his family, were extremely friendly, enthusiastic, compassionate and all around helpful. We enjoyed the assortment of pets, including the talking birds and their turtles, as well. This is a small family-run enterprise, not a lavish resort, but it's one do the best places we've ever stayed at in Florida.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vyla-Terrie
Cooper City, Florida
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a relaxing, pretty hotel right on the water. We love small, mom-and-pop hotels and this is one of the best we've ever seen. We used the paddleboats, canoe, and kayaks every morning. We also enjoyed the pool, hammocks, and cup after cup of coffee in the mornings. The location is great and the grounds are beautiful. We stayed in a two-bedroom apartment and were very comfortable. The Gulfview is only about two hours from our home, so we're already looking at the calendar and thinking about when we can go back. The Horvat family have a gem!

Room Tip: Stop at a supermarket before you get to the hotel. The nearest Publix is about 8 miles away.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JDubb71
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Spent a few nights here with my teenage family. Two bedroom room was great, pool was much appreciated, rather basic and functional but very clean. Friendly owners. Another toilet would have but useful.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jane800
Saint Marys, GA
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Family run hotel. Nothing fancy, but clean and well supplied. We had access to canoe, kayaks, bicycles without fee. Also gas grill for each unit outside. Very nice pool for the few rooms.
A little slice of paradise!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grpGA
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had a delightful time and enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Please don't go there expecting glitz or flash. This lovely slice of heaven is OLD FLORIDA at its best. We brought a cooler with hopes of being able to cook a couple of meals and we weren't disappointed. There were several grills on the property and we used the one right in front of our area. One of the guests leaving offered us a couple of trout he had just caught and we were quite excited. There was a set up on the dock for fish cleaning. The room had all the basic necessities for cooking and we had no problems. Full size refrigerator, four burner gas stove (I love gas!). Dishes, wine glasses, pots and pans...our Thanksgiving dinner was awesome.

The property is right on the ocean. Beautiful views. We had brought our 16 foot fishing boat and did put it in the water using their ramp the first day but it was quite windy and the water was choppy. We also enjoyed the hammocks, especially at night. It was fun to lie back and watch the wind move through the palm trees. Very relaxing.

The previous review had several complaints. Our bathroom was spotless and the room was clean. As for space for suitcases, there is a small closet and we had everything stored comfortably. Zero bugs. The host and his wife were very pleasant.

I liked the fact that we were close to Marathon and that driving to Islamarada wasn't a bad drive either. We would definitely recommend this place to anyone who enjoys nature and likes a laid back place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed here mid November based on the great reviews. While the property does look pretty much like the pictures, (although the owner told us they were taken quite a while ago), it is dated and in dire need of some TLC. Our host Mike, was friendly and welcoming and gave us a few recommendations for places in the area. Location: right on the water, perfect, you can't swim but you can relax with a book, cocktail, whatever. They also had kayaks and canoes that you could make use of but since it was so windy when we were there we did the former. With the exception of the Research Station, there is really nothing much in the area. Groceries, restaurants, etc... all required driving.

Our unit was small but had pretty much what we needed for the three days we were there. There is very little room to accommodate suitcases so we spent a few days dodging around ours. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom, unfortunately, is where things started falling apart. I had noticed mold on the floors and on the bottom of the shower curtain but it was not until the next day when I stepped into the shower that I realized the extent of it. Without going into much detail I will say, in all my travels it is the only time I took pictures of something in the event I had to back-up my claim. Mold doesn't happen over night, It builds up and if you stay on top of it, it isn't an issue. Every time I stepped in the shower I pretty much had to keep my eyes closed.

In the hallway, some type of liquid had run down the walls, dried and not been cleaned up. A palmetto bug (aka. an American Cockroach) was living under the kitchen counter. I refused to open the cupboard. In the bug's defense, my travelling companion did say, "well, this is the south. What are you going to do??" I wore my flip flops the whole time.

Pieces of garbage remained on the patio outside our room and a large branch from a palm tree, (a bit of a trip hazard), had fallen across the steps to the office and there it stayed for three days. A kayak, having flipped over in the wind, floated upside down for two days in the bay. I realize that these items might seem trivial but they could have been remedied quickly with a daily "sweep" of the property. The only time we saw anyone other than guests, was someone bringing out the coffee urn one morning, a nice touch I must say!

This could be a fabulous place and I would love to recommend it but I can't. These are not things that come about after a busy season, especially the mold which can have huge health implications. Is it possible that we stayed in the only unit that was less than fabulous? I cannot speak to the rest of the units but I would suggest you stay away from Unit 13 until someone has cleaned it up. And no, we were not looking for the Marriott, only value for what we paid and a review we could count on.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Skipjack Resort & Marina
Skipjack Resort & Marina
#9 of 17 in Marathon

Been to Gulf View Waterfront Resort? Share your experiences!