“Disappointing”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marathon
Gulf View Waterfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Central Florida
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I selected this motel based alot on the (mostly ) glowing tripadvisor reviews. I lived in the Keys in the '90's and didnt even know about this place, it sounded like an undiscovered gem. Now I wish I had paid more attention to the lukewarm or negative reviews... I'll start with the positive- the grounds are really well landscaped and the view out over Florida Bay is beautiful. I only interacted with the woman at the front desk for a few moments, but she was very friendly. A huge plus is that there are recycling bins everywhere. Now the bad parts- no matter where you are on the property you're no more than maybe 150 feet from the heavy traffic roaring past on US 1, and god help you if you get a room facing the road, as I did. You are only maybe 15 or 20 paces from the highway, and because there's only sparse landscaping in that area there's no sound buffer, and you can even see ithe traffic roaring past from your back deck. Plus, the area between you and the road is apparently the storage/dump area, so your view is heavy traffic, garbage cans and discarded junk. Even with the door closed and the a/c running on hi, you get to listen to the semis and beer trucks that start around 4 am trying to beat the traffic on their way to Key West. The room itself was nothing special at all, on the small side, with pretty much no character whatsoever. It was clean is about all I can say about it. In conclusion, I had anticipated a true Keys hidden gem, but ended up staying in an overpriced run of the mill room that may as well have been in Hoboken. For reference, I stayed the next night in a room in Key Largo at a mom and pop that was so far off the road there was no trafffic noise, I was a stone's throw from their sandy beach where they had kayaks free of charge, the room was spotless and much larger, and I paid almost forty five dollars less. That was a nice Keys experience, and I'll be saying so when I write them a review.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank Tokenhaole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Gulf View is a small casual resort with amenites that include a well-maintained pool, free use of kayaks, gas grills and a putting green.
Our one-bedroom unit had a kitchen and basic furnishings. Rooms are cleaned by a conscientious housekeeper.
Paddle out to watch the sunset or explore the mangroves. Stop by and visit the 2 resident turtles named Zig and Zag or relax in a hammock.
We originally selected this facility due to its proximity to the Dolphin Research Center, a short walk away. Sombero Beach is a short drive away in Marathon, and Key West is reachable in approximately an hour.
For us, if there was anything missing, we'd have to say it would be a swimming beach. If you're traveling by car, it's not a problem to go out to Sombero or nearby Bahia Honda State Park. Just about anything else you'll need can be found in Marathon, a few miles down the road.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
U.S.A
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Our room was so clean when we arrived, we could smell it. Beautiful view of the Gulf, but you cannot swim (smelled like sewage...only bad part of Gulf View). We used the kayaks to go next door to the dolphin research center (cheating!) in the morning and dolphins swam right up to the fence to see us! Pool is very nice and warm (salt water); we swam in it almost every night. Not too fancily decorated, but outside was very pretty with hammocks. Overall, we enjoyed Gulf View!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
DeLand, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2009

My husband and I spent five nights at the Gulf View Resort in Marathon. It had everything we needed for a relaxing vacation away from all the tourist traps that Florida is famous for. Our efficiency was accommadating and clean - king size bed, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and oven, plus a porch area to sit and relax. The staff was super friendly and answered any of our questions. The grounds were maintained and the pool was inviting. It was fun to watch the iguanas and macaws on the premises, not to mention the lizards and crabs. We'll definitely stay there again on our next trip to the Keys.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Gulfview was just what I was looking for when I started to plan my trip, peaceful and relaxing!! Our room was clean and the grounds are very well maintained. We loved using the free peddle boats and my son loved the turtles and iguanas. We had the pool to ourselves most evenings. Use of the gas grills was nice. We all enjoyed just laying in the hammocks in the evenings. I would recommend Gulfview to anyone looking for somewhere low key and laid back. If I make it back to the keys again, I will be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
chicagoland
Reviewed 22 June 2009

The owners are nice & friendly. There were some cool pet birds on the site, a nice clean pool, a picnic area, but no real beach area. The hotel is right next door to the Dolphin Research Center. There are rooms large enough for a family. We had 6 in our group and loved the accomodations.
Not fancy, but very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Dunwoody, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We stayed there in April 2009, based on tripadvisor reviews and price. This is certainly Not a deluxe resort, but it is a good price for the area and clean. The grounds are very well done, and they have a a nice pool and a small dock area with kayaks and canoes you can use. They are walking distance from the Dolphin Research Center.

The minuses- no breakfast, coffee only. The traffic in the area is horrible, but I would guess everything in Marathon suffers from this. It is kind of a hassle to go to and return from anywhere. Our room was small, but it had an outdoor porch with a table and chairs.

In summary, I would stay there again for the value. But if you want a fancy resort, go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
#10 of 17 in Marathon
The Hammocks at Marathon
The Hammocks at Marathon
#8 of 17 in Marathon

Been to Gulf View Waterfront Resort? Share your experiences!