“Terrible Experience at Hotel Restaurant”

Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Weston, Florida
“Terrible Experience at Hotel Restaurant”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Last Friday was my husband’s birthday and I have chosen The Tranquility Bay Hotel (where restaurant is located) since we thought it would be a good place to stay and dine to celebrate.

We drove almost 3 hours from Weston and when arriving at the hotel that night, we had a terrible welcome. After getting in the hotel, with my husband and my 2 boys, we arrived at the restaurant for dinner at 9:07pm. The hostess (unfortunately cannot remember her name) was very unpleasant and told us the restaurant was already closed (7 minutes ago). The restaurant was full and I explained that we were staying at the hotel, that we drove 3 hours, it was a very important celebration for us and on the top of that, my kids were starving. But she denied to serve us.

I started imagining where we could find any descent food / place around there. She has not even said “I am sorry” … or has shown any “commotion” about the situation. After insisting a lot she went inside to – according to her –ask her manager. The answer was “no” again. Now here comes the worst part. She has offered us they could prepare our dinner and serve at our room because they would not have a waitress to serve us at the restaurant. WHAT????

We couldn’t believe and end up leaving very disappointed. You can imagine the type of night we end up having by eating in an awful place with poor and oily food close to the hotel (recommended as one of the other options there).

We really don’t understand how a restaurant can close the kitchen at 9pm in a Friday, in a very touristic place – this is just hard to understand. But worse than that, is pay more that U$400 for a night stay, be willing to pay for a expensive dinner and be treated like that in such circumstances. We felt very disrespected and disappointed.

The fact of the matter is that because of 7 minutes, this hostess and possible her manager, ruined any possibility for us to come back again. Really sad.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank AnaCristina1971

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Polish first
Godfrey, Illinois
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Beautiful, graceful, accommodating, exceeds expectations in every way. Even for the most discriminating traveler, this will be a treat! Staff are ultra friendly, this is the perfect place, and I've stayed all over the Keys.

Room Tip: We had a 2 bedroom townhouse, pool view, views of the ocean from both the upper and lower decks, ste...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank carollovelace
Whitehall, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed at this resort in a "beach front" 2 story, 2 bedroom townhouse. Our supposedly peaceful dreamy Keys hideaway was located right next to the a turtle sanctuary. When I say right next to.... It was like 8 feet away when sitting on our back deck. Every hour or two, on a MICROPHONE someone at the sanctuary held "turtle talk" for the tours that we're going through the building. I approached an employee on our property that was walking near our building. ( which was way across the property) I told him of my dissatisfaction with the noise. His comment to me was " How do you think I feel? I have to listen to it all day?" Great.... This is going no where....We dealt with it for 2 days...The other downside was that there was also construction of new buildings being added to their facility. We got to listen to that noise as well......Not happy with this location. I really don't think it was worth a bill over $1000 for 2 nights....Never again!

Room Tip: The beach was filthy with seaweed .....Don't go here if you're looking for that!
2 Thank Heidi W
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

The room was even nicer than the photos! Great place to plop down and relax. This is a gem of a resort; private white sand beach, great decor and cozy rooms. Kitchen was nice and we even had a washer/dryer. It's worth the extra $ for a beachfront room. You step out and literally the beach is at your back door. We were not bothered by the iguanas that people have mentioned. Conveniently located in the middle of the Keys. Key West was less than and hour drive and Largo as well.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Amy S
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My fiance and I stayed for one night with my 2 sisters and their boyfriends and I can tell you that not one of us was disappointed or unimpressed with this place. The 3 bedroom house is HUGE and incredibly beautiful. The kitchen is perfectly stocked with appliances and kitchen tools and big enough for everyone to cook at their heart's desire. Every single one of us slept great and couldn't stop gushing about that uber comfortable bed and heavenly pillows. Best nights sleep I've gotten in a while! The "beach" was lovely and welcoming and, even though it was a bit windy out, the pool was begging to be dipped into. I loved the standing shower of the master bath, the large yet cozy balcony in the bedroom overlooking the property and pool and the relaxing porch that was well kept and just so relaxing. I would definitely recommend this property to everyone. We are already trying to plan our trip back!

Room Tip: The three bedroom was a bargain and big enough to hold 6 people comfortably.
3 Thank AngieG1983
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I had a great time at this resort. I was a bit concerned when reading some of the reviews because I can be a bit picky when it comes to hotels as well as getting a good value for your buck and since Key West can be expensive I wanted to make sure I got the right place. My first priority in finding a place to stay was the size of the unit. I am a strong believer in having a comfortable space for guest, If anyone ever wanted to separate themselves for an hour to themselves they wouldn't get a feeling of claustrophobia in the room. This place was great it had two floors both bedrooms on the 2nd floor were very clean and a great size for a hotel. A front porch and back porch for you to relax by and the property was very clean. We had plenty of space to relax and get away from each other when needed. Distance to restaurants were good and we had plenty of options available and a big grocery store 5 mins away. We were truly comfortable.

Make sure you check if the resort fee is included when you book. I booked from hotels.com and the resort fee was included with the price. I made sure to confirm at check in that the resort fee was already included in the price I paid when I booked, they confirmed it was. At check out they tried to charge me the fee again I brought it to their attention and they apologized so be careful and read before you sign during check out

Room Tip: Make sure you check if the resort fee is included when you book. I booked from hotels.com and the re...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Guish25
Marathon
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Checked into the resort on 11/1, checked out on 11/3. Had a 3 bedroom, two story town home facing the golf put course, very near the pool. BEAUTIFUL! A wonderful deck outside the master bedroom on the 2nd floor, facing the ocean. The entire suite was spotlessly clean, huge and contained all the amenities offered Upon checking in, I went for a stroll and came across the Tiki Bar where I had met Alex and my apologies for not remembering, a woman named Margaret? Both were extremely pleasant folks to deal with! They answered all my questions and both with big smiles. I commented to them that they seemed very happy, beyond most bar folks I've met before. Their response, was "How can we not be happy working here?" The next day, my two Uncles stopped for a visit, I took them to the Tiki Hut where Alex was working again, and another gentleman, Jeff. Once again, outstanding service, very polite, courteous and beyond accommodating! The Tiki Hut is right there on the beach, close to the water sports hut where you can rent jet skis, kayaks, etc. The prices might seem a bit high, but it is a first class, five star operation all the way! Will for SURE be returning and will recommend this treasure to everyone! THANK YOU TRANQUILITY BAY FOR A LOVELY AND AMAZING STAY!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are the best. Rooms facing the road, are still very nice, but you can hear a...
2 Thank ExcaliburMarathon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
#10 of 17 in Marathon
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key

Been to Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort? Share your experiences!