Our high school aged daughter's Spring break was mid- March, and since we wanted to explore the Florida Keys, my husband happened upon Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort in Marathon, just a few short miles before the 7 mile bridge in the middle of the keys. Our three day stay here was quite lovely.
First, the property is so pretty! Right on the highway, the driveway leads immediately into a very tranquil, shady setting on the Gulf shore. The architecture is just what I had hoped for - two story plantation-style buildings of white clapboard, trimmed in dark green, flanked by sumptuous landscaping. Yes, it is true I am from dry and currently brown Colorado, but I think anyone would agree the trees, bushes, flowers and grasses are particularly well manicured; quite beautiful and fresh. The two bedroom condo that we stayed in was near the center of a grouping of condos. The parking was easy - many spots right in front of our unit were always available for our car despite the resort being filled to capacity. The front porch was small but efficient; the back porch overlooking the property, secluded pool and putting green was very inviting and relaxing complete with comfy Adirondack chairs.
Our unit was appointed in a perfect, current palette of springy colors; spring green dining set, tan tiled floors, light oak cabinetry, stainless appliances and granite countertops. The artwork was nicely done with smallish water color prints throughout the unit as well as a gorgeous, huge acrylic sea scape over the couch. The main open living space of kitchen, dining area and living room was downstairs and included a tiny half bath under the stairway. Upstairs were two bedrooms, two baths and a closet with washer and dryer. Again, the colors were very inviting. The master walls were a cool periwinkle blue, while the colors of the second bedroom were coral red. The bedroom furnishings, linens and towels; crisp white. Everything was quite new and exceptionally clean. The bathrooms were definitely "shoe-horned" in, but for a three day stay, big enough.
The units are individually owned and maintained by the resort. Having owned a ski condo in a rental pool myself, I do understand the need for constant upkeep of the unit. Noting a few things out of order, I called the front desk to have a couple of things repaired. The bedroom lamp didn't work, the oven door wouldn't completely shut and the resident property "mouser," a cat, had left a small surprise on the back porch in the corner. Very impressively, the property maintenance man came within minutes and had everything fixed perfectly and professionally. We weren't at all dismayed - instead, we were quite impressed with the service.
The property grounds were very engaging and fun! On my first early morning "walk about," I was startled by a snort coming from the water's edge and was thrilled to watch an enormous Manatee gently glide thru the water's edge as if taking his first morning "swim about?!" So cool.
A potential drawback for some could be that the timing of our trip lined up with the winds blowing the seagrasses into the swimming beach on the property. Since, we weren't traveling with young children, that was not a problem. Plus, there are beautiful swimming pools on the property. Just a part of being on the Gulf at that time of year. It really wasn't a problem as it wasn't smelly and didn't attract extra bugs.
The three of us jus enjoyed laying out on the beach chaise lounge chairs, sipping an iced tea from the Tiki Bar, reading, getting some sun or napping; the beach scene was that quiet. We also enjoyed taking out the stand-up paddle boards and jet skis. One day was drove a couple of miles away, taking a snorkeling trip to the reef which was a great way to explore the waters of the keys. We saw sea turtles, dolphins, a squid and tons of tropical fish. An adjacent group of snorkelers squealed when they encountered a 400 pound Grouper; we were sorry to have missed that?!
The biggest standout of the resort was the food. Although breakfast is not served at the resort, the Tiki bar on the beach starts lunch service at 11 a.m., and the food was VERY good. We enjoyed the fruit platter with yogurt and the most amazing, house made banana bread, the cobb salad and the BLT turkey wrap. The Mojitos and "No-jitos" were my favorite tropical drink, and my daughter loved the virgin Pina Colada. One of the best dinners our family has EVER had was from the main restaurant. OMG - what inventive dishes of seafood, steak and more. We are bonafide "foodies" and were all very impressed with dinner. Be sure to make reservations though - it is a small, sell-out kind of place. You won't want to miss it.
Overall, our stay was great. I think the resort would be especially perfect for families with small children; the amenities were so convenient.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort located in Marathon Florida, the heart of the Florida Keys. Here you will find more than unrivaled peace and seclusion on your Florida Keys resort vacation, while overlooking the sparkling waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Sink into serenity with one of our unique two or three bedroom beach houses. Our spacious Marathon Florida resort beach houses have 2 or 3 bedrooms, 2 plus baths, gourmet kitchens, expansive porches overlooking the water, flat screen TVs, and handmade furniture, offering an idyllic Florida Keys resort experience nestled in a tropical oasis of calm and ease. Now you can also discover the addition of luxury single-level "Tropical Garden Guestrooms" which offer more intimate accommodations than the resort's larger beach houses. Enjoy all of the amenities of Tranquility Bay Resort with more affordable luxury in mind, and tropical garden views.Next, try award winning dining at Butterfly Cafe, a 2.5 acre white sand beach, world class fishing, diving, snorkeling and water sports, three tropical swimming pools, and our beachfront TJ's Tiki Bar, all framed by 12 acres of picturesque gardens. Located just 90 miles south of Miami and 45 miles north of historic Key West, Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort is easily reached by car or plane. Boasting delicious dining, Florida Keys' attractions, plus a nearby Championship 18-hole golf course, tennis courts, state parks with incredible beaches, protected waters for diving and some of the best sport fishing in the world, you can define your own paradise at our unique vacation destination in the Florida Keys. Find your center in the Middle Keys at Tranquility Bay Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Ebookers and Odigeo so you can book your Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tranquility Bay Beach House Hotel Marathon
- Tranquility Bay Beach Resort
- Tranquility Bay Beach Hotel
- Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort Marathon, Florida - Florida Keys