“Still beautiful but things are slipping”

Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Deerfield Beach, Florida, United States
“Still beautiful but things are slipping”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at Tranquility Bay from June 12-15, 2014. This was our 5th time staying at this resort. We keep returning because our experiences have all been amazing. This last time was not the case. Similiar to our last few stays, our family had 2 beachfront units (apx. $700 each/night). We thought we had stayed in all possible beachfront areas, recognizing we preferred some spots over others. This particular visit was in an area that I wouldnt even consider beachfront (#27). The sawgrass and vegetation was so thick outside our back balcony we really did not have a clear view of anything. This vegetation also attracked so many mosquitos that we could not sit out on our porch even once (a big hang out for us in past trips).

We are assuming that the housekeeping services were changed slightly. After the first day we requested clean towels 4 times. Eventually we were told they have to wash our towels then return them. Needless to say, they worked on their schedule not ours. We also had a broken ice machine, which was corrected by providing us a 10 lb bag of ice. I would have thought the broken ice machine could have been acknowledged and dealt with before we had to ask.

We have stayed in many townhouse set-ups like this and considering we did have sand outside our back door you would have thought a broom would have been avaiable. Instead we continually swept up with towels (therefore adding to the towel dilema). Speaking of towels, I understand that pool/beach towels do not need to be plush but these were something between sand paper and a paper towel. Instead of offering towels pool side as a convience to guests, they leave them in the room and expect the guests to know that yellow means pool (oh wait ours werent actually there for the first day).

My last observation had to do with check out. Since a late check out could not be accomodated for either of our 2 units, we started to load our cars at 10am to be out by 11am (check out time). As we made several trips back and forth to our cars (we travel heavy) I counted 5 housekeeping teams just sitting on their carts or the front steps of the other units hanging out, presumably waiting for people to leave so they could begin cleaning. Now I understand needing to turn the unit over but to see these staff members all hanging out talking on cell phones (while we humped our stuff past them several times) not one offered to get us a luggage cart, offer a helping hand or think to be a little inconspicuous about their thrill to be sitting there just waiting for people to leave.

I do not want to end on a negative note so I will say that the Butterfly Cafe is as always amazing! The service was great each night we ate there (x2) and the food was delicious. All in all, I no longer find the value in Tranquility that I previously did. I hope they turn things around.

Room Tip: If staying beach front stay as far south as possible.
4 Thank Lynn W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Reception check in very efficient, friendly and quick. Beautiful property, lush, well kept and nicely laid out.
Accommodation was in a 2 bedroom townhouse, with spacious living area, efficient pantry but tiny bedrooms and very tiny bathrooms.
I fail to understand the concept of this place , but I guess it's catering to self catering families, rather than "hotel / resort guests". No breakfast is available, something you don't clearly see when booking.
Coffee making equipment is in the pantry, but nothing is cleaned over a period of 3 nights. Really stupid I think is the provision of these little packages of napkin, a pack of sugar, sweetener, stirring . If you have 2 cups of coffee a day over 3 days and only want sweetener, you open 6 packs of everything, for most of the content going to the garbage.
Sleeping comfort is another matter. The rooms are bright, have no curtains, and for me that means wake up with sunrise, not what I want when on holidays. Beds are semi comfortable at best, the pillows large, firm and uncomfortable. Asking for softer pillows was responded to with " there is only one kind of pillows available."
From a pretty upmarket resort I would at least expect the query, what the problem was.
The property, lush gardens, beautiful pool and beach areas are very nicely kept and first rate, as is the restaurant, Butterfly Cafe.
In essence, a good place if you want to rent family accommodation with self service, but not if you are looking for quality, full service hotel facilities.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hongkon
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2014

It is gorgeous... Simply gorgeous.. stayed in a 2 bedroom townhouse with beach view... Loved it... sooo nice.. It was just amazing. Staff was helpful... private beach was gorgeous... townhome was very clean, nicely kept up.. with a balcony off both bedrooms as well as a porch area downstairs.. Couldn't have been more pleased. Highly recommend.

1 Thank Nicole S
Higganum, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I rented a 2-bedroom townhouse for a week. We had overnight guests for just 2 nights and the accomodations were perfect for the 4 of us. The washer and dryer in the guest room was a plus, but it is the location, peace and quiet and lovely grounds that made our trip so special. We rented jet skis on 2 occasions, visited the Tiki bar and ate at the Butterfly restaurant. The "serenity" adults only pool was a relaxing place to read and soak up some sun. The Iguanas are even friendly!
We are looking forward to a return trip this winter. I am surprised by the negative reviews of others.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debra F
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The architecture and grounds are great but that's not really why I chose this place. The 2 bedroom townhouse style is great for families too with a nice beach area and pool. But it's dirty. The towels had hairs on them, the beach towels were threadbare and the couch in the lounge room was filthy with stains and it stank. We reported this to front desk but didn't get the impression that anything would be done. The restaurant was nice with good food although some wines listed were out of stock. With a little more care this could be a much better resort.

2 Thank roamers1
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had a beautifully appointed 3 bedroom villa- very well furnished, great linen, altogether very comfortable. The beach and quiet pool were also of a very high standard. Unfortunately the physical qualities of the property were not quite matched by operations. Housekeeping was very haphazard, often taking hours to fulfill simple requests like providing coffee filters or cutlery. The fornt desk, while charming, semmed disinterested in addressing the inadequacies.

Room Tip: the beach rooms might be preferable i.e. quieter
1 Thank Richard v
Marathon, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was the most beautiful location to stay in while in Marathon on our family vacation. It is very family friendly, has a beautiful view, and offers spacious cottages for families to stay in. My family was very much looking forward to this great summer trip and we were having a wonderful time….

…until I tried to go to sleep the first night on the pull-out couch, and was shocked to see that the bed springs were broken and therefore the mattress had fallen in half, the mattress was stained with rust, but even better BLOOD SPOTS. When we called the front desk, they "politely" informed us that "Pull-out couches are not offered as a sleeping arrangement, and if they work great, but if not, "sorry.""

Well to say this was the worst way to approach a customer service issue is an understatement. However, being that this was the first night, my family and I looked past the minor road bump and were still excited to be here and enjoy the amenities and activities the hotel had to offer…

…taking me to my next so "wonderful" experience. My family and I rented paddle boards and a jet ski for the afternoon and were having an absolute blast!! We were out for about 45 minutes when some unfortunate weather happened upon us, as it so often does in the summer time in Florida…no big deal, right? When my mom took my niece and I back to the lagoon on the jet ski and asked the guy who had been renting everyone the equipment for the day to go out and collect everyone else, because it was starting to thunder, he "moaned" and replied, "REALLY?" To make the situation even better, he went out on the jet ski we had rented, and came back 10 minutes later with the paddle board ONLY!! That is correct, he did not come back with my dad, my sixteen year-old niece, or my boyfriend, but only the equipment that he was responsible for.

Now if you were to ask me if I were to EVER stay at Tranquility Resort after the extremely rude, unprofessional customer service we were given on night one and now the awful experience of renting a jet ski and paddle boards, and not even being helped when the weather conditions made it unsafe to be in open water, let alone outdoors, the answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT. I will recommend this "resort" to NO ONE and will make sure you have ZERO business from all my friends and family.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
23 Thank MoBo18
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
#10 of 16 in Marathon
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key

Been to Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort? Share your experiences!