“Biggest Pool - Big 3 Bedroom units with Kitchen”

Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Dallas, Texas
“Biggest Pool - Big 3 Bedroom units with Kitchen”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Tranquility Bay is exactly 1 hour between Key West and Key Largo which was close enough for us for diving and dining. The pool was big and their was a little beach around a lagoon which frankly was alot of beach in the Keys. I highly recommend this place when you have kids of any age with you.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Wonderful, relaxing holiday. Beautiful resort, fantastic beach and pool.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 1 September 2010

So I am going to share all the highlights and drawbacks of Tranquility Bay as a resort for a wedding, or family vacation. My husband and I wanted a destination wedding, but knew that going out of the country would be difficult for some family members with obtaining passports or traveling with small children etc. Since we had about 40 people who wanted to join us, we decided the Florida Keys was a great compromise. The keys offer a beachy Caribbean setting while still in the US. I did a lot of research on resorts in the area, and was leaning toward something centrally located so guests could also explore places like Islamorada, or travel down to Key West. Because the resort is so highly rated, I thought it would be perfect. We truly did enjoy ourselves, but I think there are a few things people should know before booking or spending thousands on a wedding there.
Highlights:
1. The resort is very well maintained, and the grounds are lovely. Beautiful trees, plants, and flowers create a lush landscape that is enjoyable to walk around.
2. The rooms are updated and very clean and tidy upon arrival. The accommodations are also very comfortable and the beds lend themselves to a good nights sleep.
3. For the most part, it is very quiet and tranquil around the resort. I was able to relax comfortably most days by the pool or waterfront.
4. Location is central to many other activities in the Keys area. It was only about 45 min. to Isamorada and about the same or slightly more to Key West.
5. Wedding coordinator was very efficient in organizing the event PRIOR to the ceremony.

Drawbacks:
1. Daily service to your room declines after you arrive. Towels are not replenished regularly, and if you want something cleaned or changed like the sheets, it is considered an extra that they tried to charge us for. The cleaning staff was pleasant, but again, did not go above and beyond.
2. The cost of a wedding is outrageous for what you get. It is not an unpleasant experience, but for an exorbitant price you get just the bare minimum. Here is the breakdown. $1500 just to get married outside in a gazebo by the water for 30 min. and you pay for your own officiant. I get charging for chair set up and removal but wow that is some fee. Note: anything you book there is subject to a 21% service charge along with tax, so it actually cost us about $1900 to just have the ceremony under their gazebo. The location for cocktail hour was by the pool and for another $2000 or so, we were able to sit there and eat hors'deovores for about 45 min. We then had our actual reception in the Butterfly Cafe for another almost $2000, which was nice, but for just locations alone brought us to a grand total of about $6000 or so.
3. Food was good during our reception, especially the appetizers. The main meal was just ok. For $95 a person, we had a choice of two meat carving stations, and one pasta station. There was not bread or salad on the table, because if you wanted that it would be another $9 per person. So our $12,000 reception gave our 40 guests appetizers, a meat, and a pasta side dish. Nothing more. I must say too, the beef was pretty well done for my taste, and the pasta station was run by only one person, so it took forever to get through the line and your meat was cold by the time you did. To our big Italian family a real meal is more than meat and a side, and I'm sure most weddings you go to at least offer soup or salad, and maybe a veggie on the side. Not at Tranquility Bay, you are paying top dollar for the absolute bare minimum.
4. Everything at the resort must be shut down by 10:00 pm. On one hand I understand that there are town ordinances, and families staying there, but on the other hand there isn't a bar or restaurant that allows patrons to be social and linger around into the evening. There should be some nightlife, but sadly even the Tiki Bar is closed promptly by ten. If this was truly a family resort, then there would be more activities for families, but there really is nothing for either adults or kids. For social or adventure activities, you really have to leave the resort at which point you will be spending more money on top of the $350ish daily rate you are already spending.
5. Once the wedding was over, we called and emailed the wedding coordinator a few times just to inquire about other local activities or restaurants that she might recommend. Once the ceremony is over, and you have paid your fee, don't expect anyone to notice you exist. I wasn't asking for a kidney or anything, I was just looking for a little advice on where to take family and friends in the area. Advice from locals is always appreciated. I guess that doesn't fall into her job description as she never returned any calls or emails.
6. Here is a big drawback...for all the rules that are imposed upon check in (no smoking, no children at the adult pool, no glass bottles, etc.) NOTHING is enforced. One day there was a large family at the adult pool with infants running around, and kids screaming and doing cannonballs in the pool. Not exactly tranquil. No one ever walks around the resort to see if people are adhering to the rules. One evening when we went to the pool after dinner, one of my bridesmaids cut her foot in the water on the broken glass at the bottom of the pool. And on the last day we were there, there was another huge wedding party there partying and being ridiculously loud at the family pool along with drinking beer out of glass bottles. Real safe around small children!
7. The spa services are only in room services, so you don't get a "spa experience" if that is what you are looking for. I didn't bother with this, and instead drove 20 min. to Hawks Cay Resort (which is probably where we should have stayed to begin with) to have a fun spa day with the girls. Well worth the trip.
8. One other note that they don't tell you, which is absurd, all couches in each unit pull out into full size beds so you can actually accommodate 6 people in a two bedroom unit rather than just 4. I mean come on, you are already charging over $300 a night in most cases, you can't tell people that they can comfortably accommodate another couple? That is so lame. If I went back I would book with two other couples and split the cost three ways. It would certainly make up for the other areas that are lacking.
9. One last little tidbit. If you think stocking your kitchens from the local Publix and cooking on some nights will save money you are probably right, but good luck preparing food with one casserole dish, one pot, a couple of utensils and enough plates and bowls for 4. We had to buy aluminum pans and other cookware in order to have a family dinner.

So overall, I would say this is a nice resort, I enjoyed the time here, our guests enjoyed their stay, but if you are truly looking for luxury you will be disappointed here. Everything you receive for your money is nice, but again is top dollar for the absolute bare minimum. If we had more time during the planning process (we were also selling houses, moving out of town, etc.) we would have made a better choice for a wedding venue. Most will probably have a great experience, but just look into all the costs and what you actually get for your money before booking. If you are not a seasoned traveler who knows what luxury actually looks like then you will think this is great. If you have been in many resorts in and out of the country and are a little more discriminating, then look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank kwhitne1
new york
Reviewed 31 August 2010

The place was great, friendly staff, beautiful accommodations, great food, magnificent pool, lush landscaping... it was just a great experience all around.

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Clean rooms but not enough towels, no iron just not stocked enough. Didn't see a whole lot of staff. Expected much more. Beach is not really a beach at all, more like a lagoon. I would have liked service out by the lagoon or by the pool. Very quiet!!! If you are looking for quiet well than that's the place for you.. Not my cup of tea I like to have a fun on my vacations.. Tooo many rules no smoking not even outside. The only smoking was in the parking lot. Toys for your kids are not allowed, no towels left outside and let's not forget checkout time is 11:00 which don't get me wrong is ok but, let's say you need just a little more time well they charge you $50.00 for every half hour up to 12:00 after that you pay a full day.. I 've never been to a hotel that didn't accommodate on late check out.. I would not recommend this resort if you plan on having fun in the sun....

• Stayed August 2010
Statesville, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 August 2010

This resort allowed my husband to drink up a $300 tab at the Tiki Bar and then ride a jet ski with no signed agreement or training. When the manager of the jet ski rentals realized what his employee had done he approached me demanding my credit card claiming damages to the jet ski. To cover themselves and fraudulently charge for damages and lost revenue, the resort claims my husband grabbed the rental agreement and receipt from the jet ski rental staff and jumped on the jet ski without permission. Mind you, my husband was intoxicated and had the coordination and time to put on a life vest, start the jet ski and take off before the staff could stop him. LIES! I was standing right there when the jet ski employee handed my husband the keys for what he called "a little test run" and allow my husband to ride the jet ski intoxicated. The employee even advised my husband to be careful because patrol was "heavy" in that area. The police were called and we were told we had 1 hour to vacate or be arrested for trespassing with 4 small children in tow. The officers were aware right away that my husband was very intoxicated so my question is, If the resort is going to stick with their bogus story, why didn't the ski rental staff recognize that before they agreed to let him ride. So fellow travelers BEWARE! This resort just might try to pull a fast one on you next.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank moenleesa
Spring, TX
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Our three bedroom condo was amazing-perfect for a family of six, with a beautiful sunset view. The kids, ages 9-18, loved the pool, beach, and the opportunity to fish off of the boardwalk directly in front of our room. Marathon was the perfect location for a day trip to Key West, yet there was so much to do at the resort we didn't have to leave Marathon the rest of the week. Jet Skiing was exhilarating, and the location close to the Turtle Hospital and Dolphin Research Center was perfect. Snorkeling, scuba and a fishing boat trip rounded out our week~all in all, I'd highly recommend Tranquility Bay for families looking for a place to relax and have fun together. We had a number of problems with kitchen appliances, but the staff was always cordial and fixed problems immediately. Had a little trouble convincing housekeeping to leave 6 towels for the 6 of us, but that was resolved as well....all in all, I'd highly recommend Tranquility Bay.

2 Thank travelfanSpring_TX
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Lime Tree Bay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key

Been to Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort? Share your experiences!