“Great Place in middle of the Keys”
Review of Sea Dell Motel

Sea Dell Motel
Ranked #3 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2008

The Sea Dell is a great little place. It is very affordable compared to most places in the keys. Now I am not going to lie and say this is a 5 star resort....it is a clean comfortable room in the middle of everything in the keys. The in room fridge was really handy because we could keep cold water in there and just pack a smaller cooler to take to the beach with us. It is only about 15 minutes away from Bahia Honda State Park which is a GREAT place to go!! Also the hotel has free high speed internet which works great (I have found a lot of hotels advertise this but then the service is awful). Also there was laundry facilities on site which was helpful because we had gone kayaking a few days earlier and had some wet clothes that needed to get washed. I have read other reviews that mention problems with bugs but I did not see one single bug in or around the room during the three days we stayed here. The front desk clerks were always very helpful and nice.

Overall I would say you can't miss with this hotel!!!

1  Thank jrbruen

Reviewed 18 June 2008

The Sea Dell Motel is an adorable little retreat with a mellow Keys vibe and affordable price in Marathon. I stayed at the Sea Dell with most of my family for my wedding on the nearby Sombrero Beach (public and gorgeous). We were actually able to hold our rehersal dinner at the Sea Dell, free of charge. We had a cookout in the motels' large common area that includes a large grill, individual grills, multiple tables & seating areas, and a great tropical atmosphere. The weddiing party enjoyed the pool by day, with lots of activities close by, including snorkeling, fishing, great restaurants, and Key West. The staff at the Sea Dell could not have been more accomodating. A staff named Lacey made all of my families reservations a breeze, and a senior clerk named Alexander even presented us with an amazing piece of his own artwork as a wedding gift. The rooms were clean, comfortable, air-conditioned, and the internet connection definately came in handy. I cannot say enough good things about the Sea Dell. My friends and family came from Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, and Minnesota and could not have asked for a better stay than the Sea Dell. My husband and I will definately return for an anniversary one day!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank STEFnRIF
Reviewed 14 June 2008

Stayed one night here on the way to Key West. It's a very clean property and room. It's convenient to stores, restaurants etc. It's simple accommodations like something out of the fifties with the exception of a new microwave, air conditioner and fridge, but for the price you can't go wrong. The desk clerk was helpful pointing out recommended places to eat and supplying us with an ethernet wire for our laptop. I picked this motel due to TripAdvisor reviews and I'm not disappointed.

Reviewed 8 June 2008

Very clean and located about 45 minutes from Key West, so it's a great alternative to the pricey hotels in the area. Basic amenities include a pristine swimming pool and kitschy Keys decor. The property looks as if it was built in the 50's and not much has changed since that time. Shower head is very low and my 6'2 husband had a hard time with it. Another complaint is that the AC blows directly onto the bed and there's not much you can do to change the direction of the vents. Other than that, the rates were good and the room was spotlessly clean. If you're not looking for luxury, extras, and just a friendly place to lay your head b/w activities, then it's a great bargain.

1  Thank adrianacollado
Reviewed 18 May 2008

My husband had an unexpected week off from work during a terrible Ohio winter, so we decided on a last minute trip to the Keys for a little " R & R". We like Marathon because it is in the middle of the Keys, so it is a short drive from the mainland, and it is also a short drive to Key West. I found Sea Dell on TripAdvisor and decided to take a chance. Although we booked a room for a week, our Ohio weather had other plans and our trip was delayed by 2 days due to severe snow. However, the Sea Dell was very understanding and very accommodating.

Once in Florida, we arrived at the Sea Dell earlier than normal check-in, but we were allowed in anyway. We were in room 11, which is on the left side of the building with a little outside patio with a table. The room itself was pretty standard, with 2 queen sized beds, a dorm size refrigerator, a microwave, a coffee maker, and a little bistro style table. However, it was kept quite clean every day, which is a big plus for me. All of their rooms are "nonsmoking", so the little patio outside our room was a blessing for my husband, who is a smoker. The bathroom was a little small, but more than adequate for our needs.

For me, a big plus was the pool area. For a small, "mom & pop" type hotel, this was a very nice pool!! It appears to be new, with lush foliage surrounding it for privacy. There are lounge chairs and patio tables for the guests, and it is lit up at night.

The only down side for me was the fact that there is no water access from the motel. For beach action, you will need to hop over to Sombrero Beach or Bahia Honda State Park, neither of which is within walking distance. However, there is a small deli/convenience store across the street, as well as a store that sells alcohol of all types. You can also walk to several different "fast food" types of restaurants, but you need to remember that everything closes a little early in Marathon!

All in all, we would not hesitate to stay at the Sea Dell again. For the price, it was well worth the money.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank RandiMOH
Reviewed 14 May 2008

Yes the staff is very friendly and the place is not too bad, but it's just a motel. The room was clean, but there was still dust in and near the loud, in-wall a/c unit. Had it not been for this I might not have been able to drown out a noisy neighbor sitting outside talking loud for hours on end. Road noise can be a problem too, with a siren or two every so often. Check-in included paying all the money up front, no refunds. Overpriced, but hey everything is here. Small pool looked clean and inviting. If you must stay in a motel, this one will work fine.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 12 May 2008

Just returned from an excellent 3 day (too short) stay in the Sea Dell motel. The Duplex (or: home away from home) has everything needed for a short or longer stay. Everything was perfect, from our arrival to our departure. I will definately return to this wonderful place. The hotel itself is situated next to US1 but the duplex is set at the end of a dead end street so no noise. There is a very small pool but a beautiful public beach is a 5 minutes drive away. Supermarkets, sightseeing, beautiful sunsets.. what more could a person want?

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
4 mi away
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Lime Tree Bay Resort
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Blackfin Resort and Marina

Been to Sea Dell Motel? Share your experiences!