“My favorite motel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
durham, nc
“My favorite motel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2008

I stumbled onto the Sea Dell the first time seeking shelter from lightning strikes all around my campsite at Bahia Honda State Park. I didn't expect much.. but was pleasantly surprised by what I found when I entered my room. Over the next several days of my "camping" trip, I stayed at the Sea Dell a total of four nights. Every night we had a different room. The rooms are very clean and furnished with nice, matching furnishings and have a true Keys feel to them. The floors of the room and the bathroom are tiled with nice tiles. Also, each room has been decorated with original Keys art: watercolors, photographs, prints. There is a common area with a BBQ grill and seating as well as a nice pool complete with tropical vegetation. Each room also comes with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The air conditioner has a remote control and works beautifully. The only flaw I see with the rooms is the placement of the television - its a bit reminiscent of a hospital room. The front desk was always staffed by a helpful, friendly person. When I returned again this June; they even remembered me from last year! So, if you're looking for a clean, affordable, cute motel in the middle keys - the Sea Dell is the place. It isn't on the water, but it's five minutes away from the gorgeous beaches of Bahia Honda.
I'll definitely be back.

2 Thank dollymama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Czech first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2008

My Husband and I were passing through Marathon for our Anniversary vacation and decided to stay here for 1 night. The reviews were great, and now I see why!

We received a warm welcome from the staff. (I forgot the man's name!) He showed us to our room, and offered any assistance we needed. Upon walking in the room, I smelled a fresh, clean smell. It smelled mildly of bleach, but not too overpowering. I knew that this room had JUST been cleaned, and it had been cleaned well. We got the most simple room, which was $90 a night.

The decor was very cute. This is not just a room with a bed. The bedspread was tropical, relaxing art on the walls, and there was a lovely palm tree sconce hanging up. There was also a table for two, refrigerator, microwave, and a coffee maker. The bathroom was a relaxing shade of light blue.

The minor complaints we had were 1) the air conditioning unit made a squeaking noise when it was on high, and 2) The alarm clock in our room was never turned off from the last person who stayed there. We were jostled out of sleep by a loud alarm at 6:00 AM, and we weren't really planning to wake up early. It's ok, we went back to sleep a little while after. That's about all I can say that's bad.

We would highly recommend this motel for your stay. You will be satisfied just as we were. :o)

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Inblueseas77
St. Joseph, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2008

The Sea Dell Motel was my husband and I's first stop on our honeymoon trip through the Florida Keys. We picked the Sea Dell after reading reviews of the place and seeing pictures from TripAdvisor and made a wise choice. The price for the nights stay was very reasonable. Alexander checked us in for the night and gave us tips on where to go for dinner, breakfast the next morning and attractions to see in Marathon and Key West. He did not steer us wrong. Our room was clean, clean, clean. We loved the decor of the room and entire motel area. All around the room where little things to show us that they really do care mabout you as the customer. There were pictures and laps that show the individual attention all the rooms get. Upon leaving in the morning, we decided that the next time we make it to the Keys, Marathon and the Sea Dell Motel will be our main camp for the trip.

• Liked — We enjoyed everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about from us!
2 Thank NWBearcat00
Greenville, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2008

My wife and I read the reviews on the Sea Dell and decided to give it a try. We found it to be a very nice place to stay. The outside appearance gives the impression of being an older type lodging but the interior of our room was very modern. It had been remodeled recently and the rate fit into our budget. We drove to Key West twice from Marathon and it takes just a little over an hour which was fine and saved us around a $100 for a comparable type lodging. All in all, a good value if a clean comfortable place to sleep at a reasonable price is your goal.

• Liked — Quiet, clean, comfortable, reasonable price
  • Disliked — exterior appearance
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank EIUtraveler
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2008

The Sea Dell is a great little place. It is very affordable compared to most places in the keys. Now I am not going to lie and say this is a 5 star resort....it is a clean comfortable room in the middle of everything in the keys. The in room fridge was really handy because we could keep cold water in there and just pack a smaller cooler to take to the beach with us. It is only about 15 minutes away from Bahia Honda State Park which is a GREAT place to go!! Also the hotel has free high speed internet which works great (I have found a lot of hotels advertise this but then the service is awful). Also there was laundry facilities on site which was helpful because we had gone kayaking a few days earlier and had some wet clothes that needed to get washed. I have read other reviews that mention problems with bugs but I did not see one single bug in or around the room during the three days we stayed here. The front desk clerks were always very helpful and nice.

Overall I would say you can't miss with this hotel!!!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — HOT HOT HOT (outside not inside)
1 Thank jrbruen
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2008

The Sea Dell Motel is an adorable little retreat with a mellow Keys vibe and affordable price in Marathon. I stayed at the Sea Dell with most of my family for my wedding on the nearby Sombrero Beach (public and gorgeous). We were actually able to hold our rehersal dinner at the Sea Dell, free of charge. We had a cookout in the motels' large common area that includes a large grill, individual grills, multiple tables & seating areas, and a great tropical atmosphere. The weddiing party enjoyed the pool by day, with lots of activities close by, including snorkeling, fishing, great restaurants, and Key West. The staff at the Sea Dell could not have been more accomodating. A staff named Lacey made all of my families reservations a breeze, and a senior clerk named Alexander even presented us with an amazing piece of his own artwork as a wedding gift. The rooms were clean, comfortable, air-conditioned, and the internet connection definately came in handy. I cannot say enough good things about the Sea Dell. My friends and family came from Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, and Minnesota and could not have asked for a better stay than the Sea Dell. My husband and I will definately return for an anniversary one day!

• Liked — The outdoor common area with grills, tables, and seating
  • Disliked — That we had to leave:)
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank STEFnRIF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2008

Stayed one night here on the way to Key West. It's a very clean property and room. It's convenient to stores, restaurants etc. It's simple accommodations like something out of the fifties with the exception of a new microwave, air conditioner and fridge, but for the price you can't go wrong. The desk clerk was helpful pointing out recommended places to eat and supplying us with an ethernet wire for our laptop. I picked this motel due to TripAdvisor reviews and I'm not disappointed.

Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway

Been to Sea Dell Motel? Share your experiences!