“Where do I begin?”
Review of Sea Dell Motel

Sea Dell Motel
Ranked #3 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Let me first say that I have years of hotel resort management behind me. (Both in the US, as well as the Caribbean.)

When I arrived, I knew that this was an outdated motel, but I got the impression it was "cute and outdated". The only thing cute about it is the color of the outside units- bright pink. I had read the reviews on trip advisor, so I thought 1960's, cool.

The staff (Ryan) was nice at check in and nice on the phone. No problems with staff.

However, the moment we opened the door - all we smelled was a musty odor. Like a room that had not been used or aired out. We were in a duplex with small kitchen located in front of the bathroom door.

The duplex is away from the main building and down the back drive a ways, so you are surrounded by private homes. No problems with noise and very private. We did not have anyone on the other side of our duplex, so no noisy motel guests or from private homes.

We stayed in South Beach for 3 nights, Ft. Lauderdale for one, and 2 nights in Marathon at Sea Dell. This was the most expensive motel /hotel of all and by far, the worst.

I am diabetic and travel with syringes. I specifically asked that our room NOT be cleaned, as we were only there for two nights. They cleaned the room. I do this, as I do not like my medications and syringes to be in view of others. There is no safety lock box in the room.

Bathroom is old and outdated. Hairs on the sheets the first night we were there and towels dingy and old. I have pictures which I will try to upload. Kitchen was OK, although we didn't use it, as we were eating out. Mattress was harsh and I woke up with an aching back.

I would not stay there at all nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I cannot offer any tips. I just would not stay there. Ironically, the office is really nice compar...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 8,172,011

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Classic charming old Keys style... clean and quiet. Friendly helpful staff/owner, great location-short scoot to Sombrero Beach, shops, etc. Very nice lush heated pool area. Best part --AWESOME shower water pressure which is always two thumbs up for me!! Plenty of towels/wash clothes provided and wonderful bath ammenities. Not the Ritz if that's your jam...but comfortable and reasonably priced. Would def stay again! Thanks Sea Dell, enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

A wonderful, comfortable stay in a vintage motel. Extremely clean, loved the blue and white motif and well-cared for rooms. Ryan helpfully suggested a few restaurants, but we'd recommend the Keys restaurant & marina on 35th street for a great sunset and lots of atmosphere. Will stay here again on our next trip to the Keys.

Room Tip: The standard double was perfectly comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at this hotel. The room was charming and nicely decorated, and the location was fabulous (conveniently mid-point down the Keys). The pool, though small, is very attractive, and for those who prefer the ocean, Sombrero Beach is not far away. The owner was very polite and helpful, and gave us a great map of Marathon with all of the restaurants marked, beach etc. We stayed two nights and had a great sleep both nights. The air conditioning was great, shower pressure was great, and the room has a nice little table with chairs. Wi-fi was excellent.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a back patio door.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Classic Old Keys hotel, clean, friendly and so very convenient to many local activities! Sombrero Beach, Crane Point, Old 7 mile bridge, ferry to Pigeon Key...I could go on! Check out The Wooden Spoon early and The Cracked Conch late and find Savannah's for a treat! We like to travel the Keys and always look for a reasonably priced room with the old keys feel and The Sea Dell provides all this in a lovely location! Singles, couples and family friendly we will recommend The Sea Dell to our friends and family. When my husband and I stay in Marathon again we'll look forward to returning to The Sea Dell! No one should miss "love and sunset" in The Keys!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deckelson
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Nice enough motel, older type but kept up with nice pool but we had some problems with noisy neighbors the first night. The neighbors stayed outside their room sitting at a table near our window talking loudly, shouting and making various loud noises until after 2 AM. From their speech and demeanor it was obvious they were drinking and probably high on something else.

We hoped they were checking out the next day but they did not and around dark the noise began again. We went to the front desk, explained the situation, and requested a room change. The guy was nice enough but said they were full and could not move us. But while we were talking to him a woman came into the office and was looking for a room for the night. Right in front of us he desk clerk told the perspective customer that they had rooms with a queen or king available. The customer had heard some of our conversation with the desk clerk and never did return to book a room. The desk clerk then called the owner (who is not local) and explained the situation. The owner’s solution was to call the police but not move us. Considering the mental state of the crazy people next to us we thought involving the police would only exacerbate the situation and compromise our safety once the police left.

A walk around the motel at 10 PM indicated many empty motel rooms (no cars parked in the parking places in front of the rooms).

When we checked out the next morning we expressed our displeasure and astonishment as to the owner’s refusal to move us to another room. We left our cell number for the owner to all us but he never did.

Bottom line is that if you have a problem at the Sea Dell Motel you may be lied to and forget about the owner stepping in and doing the right thing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dianne B
Carolyn C, Owner at Sea Dell Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

The guest is correct and we apologize. We were wrong and guest should have been moved and the noisy guests expelled from the property.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Recently went to Key West with friends, and had booked 2 rooms in advance at Sea Dell,as
we had stayed there in October. After enjoying a day at Key West, we arrived 9:20pm and
was told our reservation had been CANCELED! We ended up driving 3 1/2 hrs back to Hollywood. Next day, I received a phone message (my Samsung leaves messages 2 days later) that Sea Dell thought I tried to call to cancel, but they were definitely holding the rooms anyway. I then requested an email that would assure me that no charges to my credit card would appear. No email received. Very disappointed someone took it upon themselves to cancel our 2 rooms!!!
What happened, Lacey?

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Carolyn C, Owner at Sea Dell Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

We are so very sorry about the confusion. We received a call from you the morning before your scheduled arrival prior to the office being opened and you requested your two room reservation be canceled for the following day. To be sure that we understood your request, since it came in to answering service before the office opened, our manager both called and emailed you to confirm. When we did not receive a response, we did as you requested and canceled the rooms. Of course no charges were made as you canceled within 24 hours.