“Good value for money ”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Barcelona, España
“Good value for money ”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Really good value for money.
Big and comfortable hotel room, nice fitness room, swimming pool and good free hot breakfast.
We had a really nice dinner at Turpoon Creek, tiki bar next to the hotel.
I fully recommend this hotel for family holidays in the keys.

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Polish first
Eugene
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stopping over for just 1 night on a quick trip down the Keys. Easy to find location at about the half way point. Staff was very helpful, and went above the bar to help with some issues with our "IHI points" with no request from us. We found property to very attractive.
The A/C was a bit noisy, but we received a good nights rest and the breakfast room was very good and quite the "gathering spot" for the free breakfast in the AM. Lots of breakfast seating in a lovely setting and in the evenings a restaurant on site with outdoor lounge with live music.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Never knew mid-August could be tourist season in the Florida Keys, but the traffic was terrible, the restaurants jammed with noisy and badly behaved tourists. We much appreciated getting back to our suite at Holiday Inn Express. The staff is terrific, tending to our needs with courtesy and grace... The free breakfasts drew mobs to their very large breakfast room, but we did manage to squeeze in once or twice. It's a great place. And pet friendly. Our one complaint: one elevator is not enough for such a popular hotel.

Room Tip: We travel with a pet... This place is very pet friendly.. a room on the first floor near the back ma...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bobbutton
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Very bad customer service.
At breakfast they refuse to warm up my cup of milk in their microwave, because "IT'S THE LAW" and the microwave "is not for pubblic use"!!!
It's normal???
Nothing like that ever happened in a hotel.
Staff rude and lazy.
Never again in this hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ljuba D
Nancy B, Director of Sales at The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Recent Guest,

We are sorry to hear that you encountered this type of response from one of our staff members. I did pass this on to the department manager. In the future, please feel free to let out front desk know that you need some assistance and they will be able to help you. Thank you for being our guest and we do hope to have you back again!
Respectfully,

Grand Island, Florida
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I'm one of the rare business travelers in the Keys so I think it's important to note my needs/wants out of a property is different from you vacation travelers.

Although I prefer Hilton properties, IHG are the second choice. This particular Holiday Inn Express was the closest to where I needed to be.

Check-In was easy enough and my IHG status was noticed although I didn't receive any waters or snacks like most Express properties so not sure if they do something different here but there really weren't any extra benefits for being a Rewards Member at this property.

I was on the 3rd Floor (Top Floor) next to the elevator even though my profile specifies as far away from the elevator as possible. The room was large and spacious, really too large, I say too large because the AC could not cool it down.

The AC eventually cooled down the room but it took some tinkering with the unit and changing settings to get it to work properly.

The noise level as others mention is very high. Lots of banging, knocks, etc. Ear Plugs are a requirement for solid sleep without interruption.

Speaking or sleep, the bed in my particular room was unpleasant to say the least. Besides the plastic mattress cover that makes a ridiculous amount of noise with every little move, the mattress it self was about as firm as you can get, great for some but not for me.

There were stains on the carpet in my room, never a pleasant sign in your home away from home.

Lastly, I had dinner at the Tarpon Creek Bar & Grill, behind the hotel, it's not part of the hotel but it's basically connected. The food was good, beer was cold, view was great, but the service was poor.
You could tell they just didn't care because they will likely never see anyone they serve again, being from Orlando, I'm all too familiar with "tourist service" and that's what you have here.

I would never vacation here but in a pinch if I was traveling through, a one night stay would be OK.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Nancy B, Director of Sales at The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and for being part of our IHG Reward’s Family!
We are disappointed to hear that you did encounter some problems with your stay. Nothing bothers us more than when a guest says that while they were recognized as a rewards member, that it is not a big deal to be part of the IHG Reward program at our hotel. I will be sure and show this to our Front Desk team, and alert the manager of this. Your preferences are important to us, we are sorry that we were not able to accommodate the room in the exact location that you would have preferred to be.
Our beds do come equipped with a bed bug protector, which, is the plastic cover that is over the mattress. We then put a soft mattress cover over that as well. We are sorry that it disturbed your sleep quality.
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. We are very disappointed that you did encounter so many things to your dislike. I feel that if I make comments on all of your dislikes, that I am making many excuses and that is not the goal here. We really would like to be as close to your preferences as possible, so feel free to contact when you are planning another business trip to our area, so that I may assist with a better stay!

Respectfully,
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I'm never disappointed when I come here...This place is my home away from home...The staff treats you like family. ..rooms are always clean and the breakfast is the best. ...Thanks a million.... The staff here are the Best. .

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 81Hawkk
Ocoee, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Like most of the reviews state this is not a well insulated hotel, I even brought my sound machine from home because of the reviews but it really didn't help. The room we had had pipes that knocked when the room upstairs used the hot water. I was disappointed that they didn't have a microwave or any grills on property. The plus side to this hotel is the cleanliness - you can tell they take pride in this. The hallways always smelled wonderful, were cleaned every morning and the when you asked for the rooms to be cleaned - they did it and were done well. The AC unit wasn't big enough for the room though - the humidity just didn't ever leave the room. I am a Florida native and used to it and it was still a little over whelming, the towels didn't really even dry over night. Breakfast is the usual for a holiday inn express. Good for an over night stay but I won't do multiply night again.

Room Tip: I would ask for a top floor at the end of the hallways to eliminate the noise. Pool view is ok but n...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for your review - it is disappointing that the “pipes in the wall” affected the quality of your stay. Hopefully, we were able to assist you with this while you were here.
When the hotel was built, microwaves were not part of the original design. We have since started allocating microwaves to all of the rooms and are almost complete with the entire hotel.
We would also like to thank you for all your nice comments, I will be sure and pass them on to the housekeeping department!

nbennett@spottswood.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Skipjack Resort & Marina
Skipjack Resort & Marina
#10 of 17 in Marathon
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon? Share your experiences!