Gold Head Branch State Park
Best Western Waldo Inn & Suites(Waldo)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$72
ABC Motel(Gainesville)
US$61
Hotwire.com
All reviewstravel trailerlake viewride bikesfire pitpeace and quietstayed for nightsravinesandhillscabinccc
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We camped for one night in Gold Head Branch State Park on the Lake Loop (site 59).

Campground/Scenery:
The campground was filled to capacity the night we were there and it was a little noisy at night but the noise quieted down around 9pm and everyone was very respectful of their neighbors. We brought our bikes and the road are really nice to ride bikes on with lots of little hills and fun for the kids. The lake (by Lake Loop) is no longer dry (see other previous reviews) and we visited the ravine that had a strong little spring-fed creek running through it. My daughter loved the playground and the trees that seem to be made for climbing over in that area.

Bathrooms:
The bathrooms were the cleanest that we've seen in a campground and we actually met the cleaning crew during the day and they told us that they clean the bathrooms 3 times/day! They have hot running water with three double sized shower stalls, an outside sink area (for dishes, etc), washer/dryer(s) and a family restroom area.

One thing that I will say that is not positive is that my daughter ended up COVERED in ticks twice while we were there. The past winter was not very cold and ticks have been a problem this year. Make sure that you use bug spray to keep them off of you if you visit any time soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank alicia0325
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I recently rented a cabin in this state park only to come home covered with horrible bug bites. I called them and said that they looked like bed bug bites and was told they were chiigger bites. Well, if you search google images on either one, they look almost the same and they are very unpleasant. They itch like mad for two weeks, form scabs and are just misery. I love nature and got photos of deer and a racoon, but there is nothing to do in this park. It is relatively inexpensive for the size cabin you get because the park is virtually empty of visitors. No wonder. I would never go back. "you must have sat on something" I was told. Well, I sat on the furniture in the cabin and slept in the bed in the cabin. I have sense enough not to sit outside in Florida. I had on long pants and shirt, socks and hiking shoes and a hat when I hiked around. So, where did I get dozens of horrible bites on parts of my body that were completely covered up when I was outside? Chiggers? Bed bugs? Never again! Save your family the misery of a trip to this state park. One day there and I had seen and done all there was to do and was ready to leave.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank nancy M
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Most of these reviews have already said it. The swimming and boating lakes are gone. I spent many days here as a child in the 70's and remember the place being packed. The beach was always full of people. I had many great memories here. I visited the park yesterday July7, 2012 and it was so sad to see the huge lakes I remember dried up. With that said: the park itself is still a great place to go if you like hiking through the woods, and enjoying scenery. The price of the park is unbeatable. Five bucks get a carload up to eight people in. I personally wouldn't rent a cabin here only because there is no lake to enjoy, but if you are just wanting to get away and enjoy nature it would be great.I am posting pics of the dried up lakes and some of the nature shots I took while there yesterday. I agree with one person who posted here - it is kinda eerie looking out over the lake beds, however pictures do not do this fact justice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank B P
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Beautiful long-leaf forest full of bald-eagles, fox-squirrels, gopher-tortoises, deer, and many other creatures as well. The remaining lakes are amazing! It would be great if the lake with the swimming area would fill back up though. The park rangers were all super friendly. The cabins we stayed in were very nice and clean. I have visited this park several times and intend on doing so again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Dante R
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This park is one of the best examples of a natural sandhill you can find. The major lake is dried up, however, Sheelar Lake and Deer Pond still remain, as they are spring-fed. These lakes are gems, with water that is crystal-clear, but require a very small hike to access. There is no fishing or swimming in these lakes due to them being home to extremely rare microbiological life. If water ever returns to Johnson Lake, the swimming, canoeing, and fishing activities will all be restored.The ravine is verdant and beautiful; hiking it's trail is a terrific way to spend part of the day. I live in Keystone, so my opinion may be biased, but I say if your visiting Florida this park shouldn't be passed by.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo