“Orange Lake Resort”

Ranked #17 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Orange Lake Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

This was or 6th or 7th stay at Orange Lake Resort (I've lost count) and it was one of the best stays we've had yet. This primary purpose of this trip was to attend the wedding of a niece whose family lives in the area. We stayed in a 3-bedroom villa in The North Village. It is the same type of unit we own, and cost less in points than our yearly allotment. We had 6 adults in our party (7 for 2 nights) and everyone had ample space and privacy. We ate most of our meals there, and it was a perfect home base for all activities leading up to the wedding on 11/11/11. The unit was right on the Legends Walk course. I was the only golfer in the group and I’ll detail my golf experiences at Orange Lake Resort and surrounding area later in this review.

Before coming this time, I decided to look for some recent reviews, and was pleased to see most still thought the place fantastic but there was 1 resounding negative theme: the hard sell, high pressure tactics to attend a sales meeting or owner update meeting. I have found this to be true in the past as well. So I went in with the mind set that at check-in, the person checking us in would know that for this trip we did NOT want to attend any “owners updates”. We upgraded from a 2-bedroom villa to a 3-bedroom villa on our last visit and saw no need to be bothered with any of that stuff this time. Much to my amazement she said, “I just learned how to do that today, so you won’t receive any sales calls to your villa”. She was very cordial and the check-in was quick and painless. At the end she stapled some kind of a $20 voucher on the check-in folder. I said we’re not interested again and left the counter and walked straight out of the door to my car. People insisting that I needed to “redeem” my voucher as I had read about in a review on this site did not accost me. We did not receive any sales calls per se, but we did receive a phone call from someone who said they were our point of contact if we decided that we would like to attend an owner update or needed anything else while at OLR. My wife took that call and told her thanks but no thanks. That was after the phone had rung twice before and upon my answering a recording said, “please hold for a Orange Lake representative” I waited about 10 seconds and then hung up. Same thing 20 minutes later, this time I hung up right away. If you want to call me, be on the other end of the line. I am not going to talk to you at your convenience. I am on VACATION. I think it is rude and disrespectful to make calls in this manner to your guests.
My Customer Service Rating: Excellent Check-in experience
Check-in time 5:30pm on Sunday

The 3-bedroom villas in The North Village are very nice. They are a bit older and in need of some minor repairs and upgrades. There are TV’s in every room, but they are the ancient CRT type. OLR needs to upgrade to flat screens TVs and HD programming. I believe people are beginning to expect that type of TV unit in accommodations above Motel 6 level. There is high speed Internet wifi in the units. I was able to connect my android phone and my ipod touch to the wifi without issue. I did, however, have trouble navigating past the terms and conditions page with my laptop. A nephew staying with us had no problems with his. I called Resort Services and was transferred to their IT department. The tech I was connected with actually in PA. He was very professional and knowledgeable, but was unable to solve my problem that evening and would have to submit a ticket. He said someone would contact me the next day. I did not hear from IT again. I didn’t pursue the issue because we did have access via various devices and having MY laptop operational wasn’t critical. Still, no one called. I did not have any issues using this same laptop on my previous stay in the west village.
Another really nice thing about these units is that the 3rd bedroom is down a long hall away from the living room area and other bedrooms. We call it the “in-law suite”. The bedrooms are large and have great closet and drawer space. The master bedroom has a King size bed and a spacious bathroom with a walk in shower and also a Jacuzzi type tub. The 2nd bedroom has 2 double beds and is right next to another bathroom. The washer and dryer are in that area as well. The in-law suite has 1 double bed and a pull-out sofa bed, along with its own bathroom, which is kind of smallish but adequate. The beds were firm but not uncomfortable. My biggest complaint is with the pillows. Everyone in our group agreed that the pillows were too thick and hard. There were no other choices. I stayed at several Holiday Inn Express hotels this past summer and they have choices of pillows. They even have fancy sashes around them saying Soft or Firm. I think Holiday Inn Vacation Club should adopt the same type of thing at their resorts.

The kitchen has just about everything you need to prepare a full home cooked meal. The appliances in our unit were older. The toaster was in need of replacement and was only a 2 slice type. I think the 3-bedroom units should have 4 slice toasters. It just makes more sense. The icemaker worked great and the counter space is good with numerous electrical outlets so you can plug in all of the devices of today’s life. There are stores and restaurants very near by. The nearest useful Starbucks is in the Super Target just south of the east entrance. The Starbucks in The Market on the resort is limited in their drink options.
We only used Paisan Pizzeria on the resort for pizza one night. We used a coupon given to us in the check-in folder. 2 xl pizzas for $25. I remember the pizza being better from this place before they moved it out of the main west village building to the Market, but it’s still OK. It was a good value with the coupon.
Customer Service Rating: Very Good
Pick –up quick, ready in 15 minutes. I didn’t check the pizzas before leaving, discovered mistake on 1 pizza, not a big enough mistake to complain about.
The units have a covered patio that is nice. They have a table and chairs so you can enjoy the beautiful weather while dining. The units are non-smoking and this patio is just fine if you do. There are no ashtrays in the units, so you’ll have to make do with what is available or bring your own.

Another big concern we have is that there is no apparent recycling effort ongoing at the resort. We generated a lot of bottles and cans of various beverage types during our week stay. We took them to Super-Target, which has some small bins for recycling. OLR could start a recycling program and then tout itself as a “Green” resort. Also very disappointed that activity pass that used to be offered is no longer available.
The mini-golf activities on the resort are now very over priced.

Checkout is 10am on the final day of your stay that could be made a little more generous. Housekeeping crews didn’t rush us as I saw mentioned in reviews. Checkout was quick and efficient.
Customer Service Rating: Excellent
No waiting in line. I asked to put the stuff I had charged using the room key on to a different card. That was handled efficiently and quickly. I was on my way in no time.

All in all if you are going to Orlando and not staying at Disney, but still want to go there and/or other attractions, Orange Lake Resort is a fantastic place to stay. It is a quiet, restful environment away from the hustle and bustle of the parks and has its own qualities. Just remember it is a time-share Resort and they want to sell people on the benefits of ownership. You will need a car to get around if you have big off resort plans. I think the Orlando area is pretty easy to get around in if you take the trouble to familiarize yourself with a map of the major roads.

This rest of this review is about my golf experience at Orange Lake Resort this trip.
We have been owners at OLR&CC since April of 2002 and 1 of the main reasons I bought into this was the golf courses here at Orange Lake. I thought since we would probably come and visit relatives here from time to time, why not have a great place to stay and squeeze in some golf around other family activities over the years. I had the pleasure of playing the courses before the Crane’s Bend course was built out of the original Resort course. I think it was 27 holes then. The new configuration of the Resort and Crane’s Bend is very nice. Overall the golf at Orange Lake is great. This trip I played The Legends on Monday afternoon. Legends Walk on Tuesday night and Friday morning, The Resort course early Weds. On Thursday I ventured over to Orange County National and played the Panther Lake course. OCN is a golfer’s die and go to heaven kind of place. Look it up. I wish I had had more time to be able to use the facility more. It is only 15-20 minutes and $2.50 in round-trip toll away using SR417, which is very accessible from OLR. It was well worth the seasonal rate of just under $80 with tax. It is has also been the site of the PGA Q-School finals, most recently in 2010.
Back to golf at Orange Lake Resort,
The Legends is a very nice course, kind of tight, but playable if you keep it straight. Greens were smooth and not lighting fast but still have to pay attention. I got my tee-time off of golfnow.com for $31 plus tax. I had always just paid the owner’s rate and not checked for deals before. It is well worth that kind of a deal if you can get it. I have never had trouble getting a time to play here as a single. Nice driving range, GPS on the carts. Pro shop had the kind of soft spikes I needed. I played with some very nice folks from Scotland, who weren’t staying at the resort, but liked the course from a previous visit and stay at ORL and found the golfnow deal online as well. Saw an alligator along the lake on 16. Biggest one I’ve seen yet on that course.
Customer Service Rating: Just OK
Upon arriving, greeted at bag drop, clubs taken and put on a cart. I told them my tee time was in 45 minutes.
Pro shop guy was great, let me borrow spike wrench to put in my new spikes.
Hit some range balls. Arrived at #1 tee, 5 minutes before scheduled tee time, there was a group hitting off tee. NO STARTER in the area, so I didn’t know if that was my group or not. Turned out it was and when the starter did show up, he didn’t seem very concerned or know what was going on with the people now lining their carts up. He just, at one point, threw his hands up and said I quit, then got on the radio to try to figure out what was going on. Eventually I tee off and catch my group on the first green. It took 4:15 to play the 18. That was one of the faster rounds I’ve played there. That includes ordering a cheeseburger on the 9th tee via the GPS system and stopping to pick that up at the grill. Service there was quick, not very friendly, but quick. Only saw the cart girl once on the 4th hole. She told us it would be are only chance that day.

The Legend’s Walk course is a great lighted Par3 course. From “the tips” it plays long enough.
It is very easy to walk and is great for kids. I played by myself one night and it is pretty cool.
Played though a couple of groups with small kids along, Perfect place for a very leisurely 9 holes. Played in 1:05. First one out on Friday morning at 8:50 finished in 1:15 playing as a twosome with my nephew who arrived for the wedding later that day after his own little golf excursion in the space coast area. Each round cost just over $15 with tax.
Customer Service Rating: Excellent
This was as no hassle as it gets. Walked in, said I wanted to play 9. They ask “need clubs”, I say no, pay them and tee off within 5 minutes. Staff very pleasant during both visits.

The Resort Course is my favorite course at OLR. It is a little more playable than the Legends course for the average golfer, but is a nice test of golf. Greens and fairways are great. They used to have a drainage problem over on the southeast side of the course and I think that is why Crane’s Bend was built and the Resort course modified. The practice facility is great, didn’t utilize it this trip but have in the past.
Customer Service Rating: Excellent
Greeted upon arrival, no starter problems here.
Staff friendly and attentive before and after round.

I didn’t play Crane’s Bend this trip but it is also a really nice par 30 9-hole course.

Room Tip: The ground floor golf villas in the West and North Villages are best. I do not like the high rise bu...
5 Thank Mike A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,382)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Just returned from a 2 week stay at River Island, part of Orange Lake resort. The resort is huge, you definitely need a car, or you can use the regular hotel shuttle service to get around the resort. They also provide transport to Disney parks etc but it's expensive for a family of 4. Heated Lazy river and pool are lovely but tube hire is expensive. Plenty for kids to do during day around pool and within the resort. The fun zone is great for the kids but costs extra, there is a large water slide, bunjee trampoline, climbing wall and crazy golf. Weather was mixed during our stay and sometimes the wind was rather cool. Fleece needed at night. Rooms well equipped with large beds and nicely decorated.

4 Thank Scottsally
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Welcome back from your Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake Resort vacation! We are happy to hear that you had such a great time. As you noticed, the resort is huge (1,450-acres to be exact) and has plenty to do for all ages. A personal vehicle certainly helps with getting around, but like you said, we also offer a complimentary resort shuttle service for on-site venues and can assist in arranging transportation by Mears for a fee. Thanks also for describing the Fun Zone at River Island. For the attractions in that area, we offer 1-, 3-, and 7-day play passes. With a play pass, you have unlimited access to the activities you mentioned in addition to tubes for the lazy river. We appreciate you expressing your satisfaction with the villa; we want our guests to feel at home. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to serving you and your family again in the future.
Palm Harbor, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

This is the 5th time I have stayed at Orange Lake Resorts, Orlando. I used my Priority Club points for this stay. We chose this site to take our sons to celebrate their birthdays as well as attend Universal Studios. When we arrived at the resort, we were greeted warmly and well. When we got to our room, we found that there were some toiletries and soap supplies missing. We did contact Resort Services the materials were delivered as promised.
We were not prepared for the rest of the evening. We were very uncomfortable with the beds this time. We have never had this trouble before, but the beds in the room, both the master and 2nd bedroom were very uncomfortable. We did not have enough blankets to soften the bed. Our son was so uncomfortable that he spent the night on the couch.
When we spoke with first the desk clerk and then the resort services representative, they thanked us for the information that would help them make their place better. I could tell very quickly that they were in neither the position nor authority to help us other than to take down our concerns. They asked us if we had spoken to anyone at the time we discovered issues with the beds. But at 2 in the morning, what can be done? Do we gather all our stuff up and move to another room in the middle of the night? We did the best we could. It would have been nicer to have had the comfort with which we have become accustomed in our previous stays at Orange Lake. We were also told we would get a survey which we could fill out that would help the resort improve their service. At no time did they offer to find a manger to help us with our issue. It was unfortunate that we could help the resort improve its service in the future, but they missed the chance at that moment to improve their service to us. Later in the afternoon after checkout, I called the Resort Services office to find someone with whom I could address my concerns. I did speak with a lady who took down my comments. She was gracious and understanding. She did promise that a manager would contact me, but I have yet to hear from the manager.
We have always enjoyed our experiences at Orange Lake, often using my Priority Club points for the stays. I am also a property holder at Orange Lake. Sadly, this did not help me find anyone at the site to help resolve my concern. I have always been proud of my association with Priority Club and the properties of the Intercontinental Hotel Group. However, this was a very sad experience not only for the lack of comfort in the accommodations, but more so in the severe lack of personal customer service at the conclusion of our stay. I honestly feel that I wasted my Priority Club points this past weekend at the Orange Lake Resort, Orlando. I am still looking for someone in authority with whom I can express my concern. I would appreciate speaking to someone as soon as possible. I will send this same letter to the management at Orange Lake, hoping that there will be someone who can get back to me.

3 Thank Pop1013
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
Hi there. We appreciate you taking the time to share your review. As a Priority Club Member and owner, your comments are most important to us. It’s good to hear you received a warm, friendly welcome upon arrival. We are also pleased that the missing supplies from your villa were quickly delivered to you. However, it’s sad to hear about your discomfort throughout the night. This is not a comment we typically receive and would like to look into it further. We’ve reached out to you in a more private setting so you can express your concerns in more detail. It also disappoints us to hear that our management team was unable to get back to you while you were on property with us. As you can see from our TripAdvisor responses, we’re more than happy to address your stay. Until we hear back from you, we’ll keep an eye out for the letter you’ve sent. The opportunity for us to learn from your experience is something we value very highly. Thank you.
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Our family (4 youngish children) stayed at Orange Lake for 1 week. We had a 3 BR condo in the East Village. We enjoyed all of the pool areas at Orange Lake and there was lots to do, without even going to Disney.
Upon arrival, I was unexpectedly treated rudely at check-in because I was "just renting" and not one of the owners. I had to stand in a separate line and watch all of the other owners get priority check-in ahead of me. I waited in line for approximately 20 minutes until an employee sleepily stumbled to a check-in station for "just renters" and slowly checked me in, complaining about how tired she was. After the painful check-in, I was whisked away to another station to redeem my $20 "gift". The sales pitch had begun! After listening to a 10 minute sales pitch, I firmly told the individual I was not interested in any sales, we were here for a relaxing family vacation. The individual's demeanor immediately changed from friendly to completely disinterested and he waved me off.
Our room was fine and accomodating. The pools were all very nice and we had a great time.
Unfortunately, Orange Lake is downwind of the Animal Kingdom and at certain times of day, especially the evening, an unbelievably horrible odor wafts over from AK and you are pretty much unable to go outside. Our children could not handle the stench. This type of "odor pollution" should be illegal. I do not know if I would return to Orange Lake again-- this smell was really that bad.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for a unit that is not affected by the Animal Kingdom stench.
4 Thank explorer010
Hello. We appreciate you sharing your family vacation at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake Resort. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations in our spacious vacation villas and that you had a great time at the pools and other amenities we offer. On the other hand, it’s disappointing to learn about your arrival experience. It’s not our practice to check in certain people over others, and we are sorry to hear it came across that way. Sometimes, when the front desk is handling a lot of check-ins, we divide the queue for the convenience of our owners, priority club members and rental guests. This allows us to better serve you and helps expedite your check-in. Thanks also for letting us know about your less than perfect visit to the Vacation Station, we are looking into ways to make this a better experience. Through feedback like yours, we learn where we can make changes to enhance the enjoyment for our future guests. The odor you described is indeed from a neighboring park with animals, and it unfortunately affects our resort from time to time. We continue to work with the theme park to resolve this issue. Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. We value your comments and plan to use them so that we can exceed your expectations in the future.
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

Our friends invited us to join them for a week at their timeshare. We stayed in a two bedroom condo on the sixth floor in the River Island section of the resort. The master bedroom had a private bath and the second bedroom had a bathroom with two entrances - one from the bedroom and a pocket door into the laundry nook (that leads to the entrance/kitchen area). The condo had a deck overlooking the pool area with a table and four chairs. The deck had a half wall and was screened in above that so you had to stand up to get a good view.

We played regular golf, miniature golf, swam, tubed in the "river", sat in the hot tub and used the exercise room. All were in excellent shape and everything was in working order. The resort was clean and well cared for. The shuttle drivers were friendly and the entire staff went out of their way to be helpful.

We made a few breakfast meals using the kitchen, made sandwiches for lunch and had appetizers and cocktails before heading out to dinner each evening. The appliances were inexpensive apartment quality but did the job for the few times we used them. We had a slight service problem with the dishwasher, but when we called to report the issue they had someone at our door within 15 minutes and it was fixed and ready to go in another 15 minutes. Supplies that were running low were quickly and politely replenished.

The pool area is large and there are great places for kids and adults to sun and play. The public restrooms were clean and bright and there were plenty of options for shopping, buying a snack or ordering a drink. All charged to your room or a credit card - no cash accepted.

We played the Legends golf course and it was beautiful with GPS carts. The Reserve is an older course and more central in the resort (i.e. shots off the mark can end up in people's yards). No GPS carts at Reserve.

The miniature golf is basic but well maintained. Each side of the resort has two 18 hole courses so there are 72 different holes of miniature golf you can play. It is well lighted so you can play in the evenings as well as during the day.

We had a great time and look forward to going back again.

Room Tip: River Island is the newest and most up to date area. Stay in one of the River Island "towers&qu...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Joe F
Thanks for sharing what sounds like a great vacation with family and friends. It sounds like you were able to enjoy the full Holiday Inn Club Vacations experience at Orange Lake Resort, and you did a great job in describing our River Island accommodations and amenities. It seems like you were able to make good use of your villa’s full size kitchen. As you know, preparing your own meals rather than having to eat every meal out is a great way to save money. Speaking of savings, we’re happy to hear you that you were able to enjoy many of the amenities we offer on-site, rather than having to venture out for more expensive forms of entertainment. The four golf courses of Orange Lake Golf, and two miniature golf courses in the West Village and River Island are a great start! Like you said, there are plenty of other options for shopping, dining, and having fun as well. And anything bought on property is conveniently charged to the room key. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, we greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks also for the room tip. Each of our 4 villages offers something different, and we agree that you can’t go wrong with River Island! We look forward to seeing you again for another vacation getaway.
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

We have been here 3 times now each time it just gets better, stayed in villa this time on springer circle
enjoyed it more than apartments was nervous of new cashless resort syestem but worked ok resort spotless villa spotless ,just book it you won"t regret it .well done orange lake hope to see u again soon

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sue t
Good day. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our flagship resort in Orlando. We’re happy to hear your vacation experiences with us keep getting better all the time. Thanks also for including your thoughts on our vacation villas in the West Village. As compared to our mid-rise, condo-style accommodations, they offer a residential-like setting with all the comforts of home, like your own driveway and private entrance. Although you admit to being a little nervous about the new cashless resort, we’re glad to hear it worked out. It’s important to keep track of your spending but most guests enjoy the convenience it provides. Again, we appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you again soon as well!
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Just got back from a week at OLCC. Have been an owner from 1985 to present. This place always seems to improve. Try the Ledgends Grill, a good value and good food.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank luvsanibel09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista South
Floridays Resort Orlando
#20 of 335 in Orlando
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,708 reviews
Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort? Share your experiences!