“Mediocre at Best”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort
Ranked #20 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Orange Lake Resort check in went smoothly, until I realized they forgot to give me a room key. Cash-less approach at this resort is a great idea, however, just to buy a water the cashier expects a tip! Rooms were really nice. Resort is HUGE, very crowded with LOTSA kids, so if you are not in the mood for children everywhere, skip this one! Pools were nice but crowded. Especially enjoyed the lazy river, but they charge you $9/day to use a tube. Salespeople are very persistent here and not very organized. Overall, I give it 3 ***

Room Tip: Try and get a room near the pool or lake, much closer to these areas is more convenient.
2  Thank CarolGeraghty
Brandon B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Hello Carol. We appreciate you choosing us as your vacation host while in the Orlando area. Welcome back from your recent stay. We’re glad to hear that your check-in went smoothly but apologize for the inconvenience involving your room key. You’re right, our resort is cashless and there is room to leave gratuity in the majority of our registers. Leaving a tip for any of our staff is always at your discretion. Some of our amenities on site do come at a nominal fee, but many of our amenities such as pools, basketball, and kids’ golf are at no cost to you. We hope that you consider us in the future so we can show you just how fun a vacation with us can be.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

These guys just don't have it together! We are owners here and have had issues every since! They gave us the wrong room. No one could help us. Go straight to Disney Club Vacations and it would probably save some stress!

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank richfletch1
Brandon B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Hello Rich. We’re very happy to have to have you as an owner but it’s disheartening to hear you feel you’re not getting the most out of your ownership. We always welcome feedback from owners to let us know how we’re doing and ways to improve overall owner experience. In an attempt to learn more we have contacted you via private message. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here with our little girl for 2 weeks between December 8th and 22nd 2013. What an absolutely stunning resort. sheer beauty from every angle.
The units we stayed in was a 1 story 2 bed Villa, very large in size, extremely comfortable and catered for every need.
There are a great number of bars and restaurants spread out between the 4 villages which make up this wonderful resort so you are spoiled for choice, and a large number of them will deliver to your unit. We frequented the Bahama breeze bar and grill most often. The staff were really friendly and made you feel right at home.
The whole resort is constantly being maintained, and there is a good security presence which lets you feel safe in your surroundings and just lets you get on with enjoying your vacation.
I would recommend to family and friends, and I most certainly will be returning.

Room Tip: Springer Circle is home to 1 and 2 bed villa's in a lovely neighborhood setting. Directly across...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bryanb82

Hi Bryan! It’s great to hear from our guests and always appreciate their feedback. We’re glad you were pleased with your experience and that the resort’s service, accommodations, and overall quality met your expectations. Our team constantly looks for ways to make our resort the best it can be and seek to make it a real home away from home for our guests. We welcome you back from your visit and hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I posted this review to the Orange Lake Resort site but they chose not to post it:

It greatly saddens me to write this review. I checked in to Orange Lake on Friday, April 25th for my daughter's birthday. We had been planning a long weekend celebration for her for months. Because of work schedules, our entire party arrived in 3 separate vehicles at different times. When I got to the Security Gate on Friday I asked if I needed to provide the names of the additional guests for them to gain entry. I was told that they only needed my room number and my name at the gate. I had been to the resort as a guest last summer and this was the only information I provided so it made sense. When I checked in, I again asked the young lady at the Check-In counter the protocol for my additional guests to gain entry. She confirmed what the security guard had just said -- room number and the name the reservation is under.

I provided the information to the remaining guests and when the first car arrived they didn't even ask them for a room number let alone my name. They were permitted to drive right in. When the second, and last guest arrived, he provided the required information and was denied entry. He even produced the text message I sent him with all of the information on it. He was told to pull off to the side of the road and that he could not enter because his name wasn't on a list. They told him I had to go up to my room (I was no where near my room at the time) and call from there to confirm that he was permitted to enter the resort. My previous guest weren't even asked for a room number.

Here is the kicker.... the guests that were provided full access without needing to provide a room number were white. The guest that was humiliated and embarrassed and not allowed to enter was black. My daughter was in tears because her family member was denied entry. She is 8 years old and she knew the reason immediately.

When I reported the incident to Customer Care, I was met with extreme sympathy from the 2 ladies I spoke with. One of them was actually in tears with me. I was directed to go report the incident to the head of Security and he was less sympathetic. Although I could tell he wasn't thrilled by what happened, he was more concerned with getting the people who told me that I didn't need to leave the additional guest's names at the security station in trouble. When I told him 2 separate employees with Orange Lake told me the same thing, his response was "the people at check-in don't know the procedure". Huh?

I spoke with several Owners and they all stated that they have never had to provide the guest's names and that the guest providing their room number and name was the protocol they always understood to be true and was followed. They had NEVER had a guest rejected. They all stated, however, all of their guest's had been white.

When we were checking out today every person in line ahead of us was complaining to a staff member about a bad experience. When I told him mine his response was "Well, we don't know exactly what happened in that car." I guess I should have told my professional, 50 year old black family member who was excited to spend the day and celebrate with his daughter to make sure he hides his Skittles and Iced Tea so the security guard won't suspect him of harm.

This is one of those events that will stick with our family and will not be forgotten. Perhaps I should have clarified to security and the front desk that one of my guests was black. I might have gotten a different answer as to the protocol for gaining entry to a resort you have already paid for to spend time with your family.

10  Thank Jodi S
Ashley U, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

TripAdvisor review. We strictly prohibit discrimination of any kind. We provide consistent training to our employees and enforce our zero tolerance policy. In addition, we remain committed to providing the highest standards of customer service, and pride ourselves on exceeding our guests’ expectations. Should you wish to discuss your concerns directly, please respond to our private message with a telephone number and someone will give you a call. Otherwise, rest assured that we take comments such as these seriously. Again, please accept our sincerest apologies for the experience you described.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We bought this timeshare on line, and were very pleased. The unit which had 2 bedrooms, and 2 baths, dining room, kitchen, living room, patio, laundry, was excellent. The pools were well maintained, and beautifully decorated, with a lazy river and a beach type set up i. One of them. There was a shuttle that ran every half hour between villages, and to other pools and recreation areas. Wifi was strong and very good. There was a security guard at the gate to get in, and many restaurants on the same road.

I can't wait to return next year!

Room Tip: Room location doesn't really matter - you can either drive or take the shuttle to where you want...
2  Thank vacationkingCt
Ashley U, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Hi there, we’re so happy to hear from you about your getaway with us. We especially love hearing from our owners. You give a great overview of what our guests can expect from a stay with us. We can’t wait to see you again next year!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We have stayed in various places around Orlando area and I think it is the best. Everything is immaculate, we stayed in the West Village as we prefer a 'bungalow' as opposed to a condo. The interior and soft furnishing are of top quality. The facilites on site from the golf to the lazy river cannot be faulted. Wifi is easy - no passwords or just 1 device per condo rubbish. I cannot rate this place high enough; we did not want to leave and will be back as soon as we can!!!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My extended family and I set out for a vacation staying at Orange Lake, a resort we've enjoyed plenty before. While the resort is beautiful our day by the pool yesterday was cut short to find out that a pipe had burst in our building and much to our disappointment many of our things got soaked including electronic devices which are now ruined. The resort not so quickly shuttled us off to a different comparable unit with a few slight differences. My family (which required 4 different rooms) remained within the vicinity of each other, however it was no longer 4 rooms next to each other as we had enjoyed. Not only were the units not together, the new units we were brought to were not at all prepared for guests as the rooms we originally had; lacking toilet paper, an awful view, smaller master bed and bathtub, plugs that do not work, broken ice makers, lack of ceiling fans and an older unit in general. Due to this room swap our room keys which acted as credit cards for the CASHLESS resort were declined at dinner, rather embarrassing and caused quite the hassle to pay our whopping bill. Upon going to see what the resort was planning on doing for us, we were offered a measly free breakfast. A FREE BREAKFAST?!? That's all? I don't think so. This water damage has added a much unwanted and unnecessary time constraint on our remaining 3 days at the resort and a free breakfast is not going to suffice. Especially considering all the running around I now must do to make up for the damage I don't even have time for my stupid free breakfast. At check-in one of our guests had a difficult time with the reservation and the same guest had further more difficulties with her credit card and for her a breakfast was no where near sufficient. Although my family has already booked for next year, prior to all of these circumstances we will be strongly reconsidering, no matter how great of a rate we were offered. The resort may be beautiful, but the guest accommodation for such a massive curveball in our vacation is not nearly adequate. In the past we have never experienced they're awful guest accommodations which is why we have continued to return, but Orange Lake; you may have just lost faithful guests of your resort believing that such an atrocity could be made up for with a free breakfast.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephanie O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Caribe Royale Orlando
#87 of 339 in Orlando
Hilton Orlando
#53 of 339 in Orlando

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort? Share your experiences!