Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort
Ranked #20 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just got back from a weekend at Orange Lake and it was fantastic! Had one hiccup with a bar tab, not sure if it was a mistake or if it's their policy but our credit card was run after every drink we got. So we had numerous escalating charges for one bar tab. They assured us they will drop off, but it tied up almost $100 in our account which if you're traveling on a tight budget is a disaster.
When we checked in the front desk staff was wonderful. She handed us off to the clipboard gal and because I'm not one for confrontation I politely said we had to meet someone and we didn't need the $20 coupon. The girl very rudely replied "well you could've just said that then" and then stomped off. Other than that, our stay was awesome!
We didn't get one phone call for the 3 days we were there. The room was way beyond our expectation of what we booked. Frankly, it was larger than my first apartment! We had a one bedroom and some friends of ours had a 2 bedroom. They were both great.
All in all, we will DEFINITELY go back. The main pool area was great, never had a problem finding chairs. Very tropical.
Plenty of restaurants on property and in the immediate vicinity. Very convenient to the parks if that's what you want to do. We always stay on Disney property so we had very high expectations of this place. It didn't disappoint.
If it weren't for the rude clipboard girl and the drink tab snafu, I would say it was a perfect vacation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Awesome property for families. Very big with lots to do. Rooms were clean. I stayed in a two bedroom villa and it was very spacious, full kitchen, dining and living. I wish they had daily cleaning though. Several pools and resteraunts. Checkin was fast, it only took me 20 mins if that. I also recieved a $20 voucher, I didnt have to do timeshare and wasnt offered any timeshare opportunities. Which was great. I used my voucher towards tickets to blue man group. They have alot of parks and shows they help you get tickets too. I would stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Tthetourist
HIClubSpecialist, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

That’s great to hear! Thanks for giving us a chance to host your recent Orlando-area visit. It’s great to know that we could set you up with a villa that met your expectations and gave you just the room needed to be comfortable. We hope to welcome you and your family back for more good times at Orange Lake Resort in the future. Thanks again.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Basically a timeshare resort. Being there as a guest they put us in the worst villa( West Village)
The villa was out of date needs remodeled. Was almost done making breakfast one morning to find out toaster was broke, called front desk and after a half hour I called back to get an update they said it'd be 2 hrs, on top of that microwave was broke, ice maker didn't work, and looked like stove was torn apart and put back together. I called for extra towels one night and after an hour I wrote a note and went to bed. For the volume of people staying there they need to have a better ratio of staff for guest. Pool was nice but major attractions was in new part of resort (River Village) there they had Lazy River, and 2 miniature golf courses. We ate at the Legacy Grille food was great and good service. Resort is very close to all the attractions.

Room Tip: If you do stay don't stay in the West Village try to get River Village.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dave F

Hello there, Dave. Thanks for your recent visit and for sharing your experience with us. It’s nice that you got the chance to explore the property and that you enjoyed the River Island area. We’re certainly disheartened to hear about your villa experience in West Village. We want all of our guests to let us know when their villa does not meet their expectations. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we want to make your stay as comfortable as possible while you’re staying with us. You’re right, we are a vacation ownership property and we value the feedback of our rental guests and owners alike! It would be great to have you stay with us again to give us an opportunity to exceed expectations on a future visit. Thank you again for your candid feedback.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Check in took forever, front desk verified that stay was paid in full then gave a voucher for $20. To redeem it, we had to sign up for a time-share sales pitch ("90 minutes, no pressure"), room was nice on the surface but cheaply and quickly made (lots of shortcuts noted), everything smelled strongly of bleach (at least it was clean, right?), outside amenities were great but super crowded--to be expected, I guess. While checking balance on the credit card used at the front desk we noted that available credit was $0--after 15 minutes on the phone the hotel employee found that despite the front desk employee being able to see that the stay was paid in full, the computer system didn't recognize the payment and charged our card an additional $500. The time share pitch (signed up bc it gave a free $165 worth of amenities at the resort) took 3.5 hours...man repeatedly tried to obtain a verbal commitment from me to buy a condo "if the price was right." Nothing short of the word "yes" would work until I explained that I was familiar with the psychological technique of obtaining a verbal commitment from someone. When we said no, we weren't financially able to commit to an $800 mortgage payment (more or less) he informed us that "something always comes up in the future" and continued pressing us to buy. I emphatically said no repeatedly, so of course HIS manager came over and talked for another 30 minutes. THEN the marketing guy came and tried to sell us vacation packages...an hour and a half turned into almost four hours. A day before our trip ended we decided to add another day...called the listed number and spoke to someone (not the front desk) who said it would be $250 a night (compared to our $139 obtained on Hotwire).we hung up, discussed the matter, agreed on a price and then called the same number back to speak with a different person. They informed my husband they could put us in a different room for an acceptable price but that we'd have to load our car with our stuff at checkout time and check back in that afternoon. While my husband was relaying this information to me the woman hung up the phone! We proceeded with our day at the parks and then my husband called them back that evening to verify that they hadn't booked us for another night. The woman he spoke with couldn't even see if the reservation had been booked and couldn't transfer him to someone who could...he ended up having to drive to the front desk at midnight after a long day at Magic Kingdom. While speaking with the front desk he found that thankfully, the reservation hadn't gone through. In addition, they were going to charge us for the calls we had made TRYING TO CALL THE FRONT DESK!!!! Her words: "We're not a Holiday Inn." Evidently the assigned quick dial button on the phone goes to a Holiday Inn and you cannot call the front desk of the resort from your unit without being charged.
It was convenient having dishes and paper towels and the ability to cook...the grounds are beautiful...but be careful and watch your debit/credit card balances! Unplug the phones in the room!
We had a much better stay at the Wyndham resort by Downtown Disney--everything was very straight-forward there.

Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank JenniferT1214

Hello, Jennifer. Thanks for giving us a chance to host your recent family getaway. Although we’re delighted that you found the grounds to be well kept and your villa exceeded your expectations, we disappointed to hear some of the other aspects you mention. We thank you for taking part in one of our property tours, which is a great way to more about the resort and Club Membership. We apologize, though, for your tour running a bit longer than expected and any pressure you felt during your presentation. Tours are set up to last 90 minutes but can run a bit longer as our team tailors a package that best fits your needs. You are always welcome to leave the tour after your 90 minutes are fulfilled. Our team is passionate about teaching our guests what benefits the Club can offer them. We never want that information and their passion to translate into pressure. Additionally, any additional credit or debit authorization that is taken upon arrival is for the ability to utilize your room key for charging and for any incidentals that may occur during your visit. These funds are guaranteed to be released upon your arrival. We hope that you consider us in the future so that we can show you just how much more fun we can add to your next visit.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Orange Lake is certainly a fantastic resort with lots of great facilities to suit a range of ages/interests.

Location wise it is good as it is a reasonably short drive away from Disney and Universal parks so that was also a good point.

Villa we had in the West Village was maintained well, it was absolutely massive and had good kitchen and washing facilities which was very handy. I would definitely come back to this resort based on the accommodation and the high standard of this.

The only point I would mention is that I would not recommend the timeshare talk. We went along on the basis that we were told we would get a "tour of the resort" followed by a presentation. Obviously I am aware there would be a sales pitch but we certainly did not get a tour of any facilities, just shown around one of the apartments used in the timeshares so that was a bit disappointing. Furthermore, we were told the tour would last one hour. 3.5 hours later, we were still trying in vein to escape Ron and his sales tactics. We made it clear that we just didn't want a timeshare, then started getting asked things like "so you can't afford £XX per month for a holiday of a lifetime" etc etc. I thought this was rude and inapporiate. A point of concern to me is that the manager who Ron then enlisted as his last ditch attempt to persuade us, said that he he doesn't even conduct credit checks, he just takes people's word for it!! Absolutely shocking.

After we finally ditched Ron (who incidentally became totally off hand when he realised he wouldn't be getting any commission from us) he got us another chap to try and sell us a holiday back to the resort under the Latitude programme. Made to sound like a good deal but the reviews I've seen on this through trip adviser suggest otherwise. Wasn't impressed with his sales pitch either. The whole presentation was extremely clever with regards the psychology of it, i have to give them some credit. The word brain washing springs to mind.

The presentation involves a lot of talk on a chap called Kemmons Wilson who apparently was a founder of the brand. For a firm with such interest in him I found it surprising that the "Kemmons Wilson" channel on the television system did not seem to work. Just a point I noted.

I did enjoy staying here, although IF I did return I would not bother with the timeshare talk as it was a total waste of time. Couldn't believe we were there so long when we made it clear early on we were not interested.

Room Tip: West Village was good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank K F
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We visited Orange Lakes as a family of 4 for our summer holiday this year, May 30th through to 13th June and I must say from the off it was a very pleasant experience.

Generally when we travel to Florida we stay in a villa but this year we thought we'd give something else a go and picked out Orange Lakes.

The first thing that grabbed me was the size of the resort, it's massive !, easily larger than our home town. We had like everyone else read all the reviews we possibly could prior to travelling and as a result of doing so we enquired before arrival to see if we could have one of the " renovated " apartments. I don't know whether we got one or not but we got a an absolutely lovely 2 bedroom apartment in the "East Village" which suited us down to the ground, my wife in particular is pretty fussy, maybe even border OCD and she was delighted with it so this is high praise indeed on the room front.

We were also pretty aware after reading some reviews that there be an attempt from sales staff calling your room to take up your time with tours etc but our experience was quite the opposite. Upon checking in we were welcomed and directed to a desk just along from check in where you were to be given " free vouchers for travel & discount for this, that & the next thing " we found that a polite but firm no thank you was perfectly adequate and we were not contacted once throughout our entire holiday regards time share sales etc as a result, however I must add in the resorts defence, what do people expect ? if they want the resort to provide discounts on the variety of things it does then in my opinion the sales team are quite entitled to try and follow that up.

We went to all the pool areas but spent the majority of our time at the lazy river complex which was great fun for the kids. The one thing to bear in mind is that you need to purchase an arm band to use the tubes.

I could go on for ages about how good a time we had but to generalise, there is something here for everyone, particularly the golfers, beautiful courses !, the whole resort is spotlessly clean, the effort that went into keeping it tidy by all the ground staff we saw was quite amazing, they were even pressure washing the streets and kerbs !!

We would all like to return some day so that for me is the sign that we all had a great time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here for a week mainly for the parks. We did a big family vacation with my mom's timeshare with my mom, siblings, spouses and kids. A total of 12 of us in 2 2 bedroom condos. There was plenty of room for all of us. One bedroom had a king bed and bathroom. Other bedroom had 2 queens. My 10 year old son made a comment when we walked in that summed it up. He said 'Nice job grandma' when he seen how nice the place was.There was a full kitchen, eating area, and living room with pullout couch. There was also a large patio. We were on the fairway of the 6th hole of Crane's bend golf course. There was a 4 foot alligator is the pond by the green that is not scared of people and approaches you looking for food, so don't let your kids play down by the pond by themself. We didn't notice it for a couple days, then noticed it when we were having a closest to the pin competition at dusk after the course has closed. They did bother us a little trying to get us do their timeshare. We just didn't answer the phones or go with them to redeem our 'voucher'. After a long day travelling, we were not in the mood to listen to anything and just wanted to get to our room. So I can't say how hard of a sell it is, we just walked away from them. Maybe if they gave like a 100 dollar voucher, I might of let them redeem that, but 20 bucks, I was just going to my room.

The resort is extremely large, but it's nice to have the choice of what area you would like to visit. It doesn't take longer then 5-10 minutes to get anywhere and we never had trouble finding parking at the pools. Most everything does cost to rent including 10 dollars for tubes for the lazy river. They must make a fortune off this because they regulate this pretty hard with wristbands. It would be nice if they let you bring your own floats and bring coolers into pool areas, but not a huge deal for us, we were on vacation and having fun regardless.

Golf courses are nice and reasonably priced. There are some bad golfers out there playing for what seemed their first time, so be warned you may have a slow round if getting behind somebody. We had no one in front of us or behind us, so had a nice leisurely round each time. We seen a total of 3 alligators out there in the ponds, all about 4 feet long, so they are there, but didn't bother us, even though we were down by the water. They did have my sister a little freaked out since she apparently liked to hit it by the water.

The pool areas are all really nice and large. Kids loved our off days from the parks and from the time we woke up until we finally went, they were rushing us out the door to a pool area. We did West Village and River Island pool areas. Both are nice and pools are warm. For young kids they are great with walk in pool so younger kids can play in the shallow water.

Location of the resort is great. Many restaurants all around. No more then 10 minutes from Disneyworld parks and downtown disney. 15 minutes to Sea World parks. 20 minutes to Universal parks.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank dwhite34
HIClubSpecialist, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thanks for allowing us to be a part of your recent visit to the Orlando area and for sharing your thoughts with us. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your experience. We’re happy to hear that we were able to get you settled into comfortable accommodations that allowed everyone to have enough space to relax. With the size of our resort, we do have some wildlife visitors from time to time. It’s nice that they added to the atmosphere of the resort experience and weren't a disturbance to you. We realize that there are a lot of activities and attractions to visit in the area and our goal is to offer a relaxing retreat when you take a break from those activities. Consider us on a future visit to the Orlando area and see just how much more fun we can add to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
#26 of 154 in Kissimmee
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort? Share your experiences!