“A great place to stay”

Ranked #20 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Kansas City, Missouri
“A great place to stay”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed in the West Village and was within walking distance of the registration desk/West Village Pool.

Highlights:
• We loved our two bedroom condo. King Bed Suite, two queens in the other room, full kitchen and eating area. Things were clean and well maintained.
• Pools – We used three of the four main pool areas. The boys loved the north village pool as it had volleyball and basketball. It was busy at each location, but we never felt overly crowded. We love our drinks poolside both w/ and w/o alcohol. Most were in the $8 -$10 area which is to be expected. The boys were particularly fond of the mud slides which they consumed at a ridiculous pace.
• As everyone has stated and it goes w/o being said, but this place is huge. You will have to drive or take shuttles to each location.
• Golf – For us the best deal at the resort is the Legends Walk golf. I pay for me and the kids play for free. It was $45 for four of us on the par 3 course. Is it the best course around… probably not. However it was pretty well maintained. We paid more for green fees at a miniature golf course down the road than actually playing. My only recommendation is to get more water jugs out on the course (there is one water fountain). Our tee time as at 10:00 a.m. and it was blazing hot. I was actually the only one who finished as the kids kept dropping off.
• We were never bothered by the time share presentation folks. We got zero calls while we were in our unit. The light was blinking the whole time we were there, but not harassed in the least.
• Every employee we encountered was top notch. Smile on their face and always willing to help or answer questions.
• Plenty of activities around the West Village pool w/ trivia, bag toss and some other games I can’t recall.
• Love/hate that it’s a cashless resort. The boys were into their second mud slide of the day before lunch and they quickly realized all they needed was a room key for them to swipe.
• Great family atmosphere. The pools were filled w/ families.

Lowlights:
• Upgrade the toilet paper in the units. In my travels I believe you can directly correlate the status of the hotel with the quality of the toilet paper. This doesn’t match up for Orange Lake.
• Our final meal at Orange Lake was at Legacy Sports Bar. The only person who was satisfied with their meal was the five year old and his grilled cheese. Everything seemed “micro waved” and was by far the worst meal we had on our trip. They also had karaoke going on which did provide a level of entertainment. It was essentially the same three people singing over and over again. I also wouldn’t consider this a “sports bar”. They have slapped this label on it, but it’s just a restaurant with four or five tv’s. On a positive note the wait staff and management were very good, but the food is not good at all.
• We had to do some creative booking as I used reward nights and special promo rate. Over $500 in “courtesy holds” were put on our credit card that will eventually be credited back, but still seemed like an excessive amount. If you are using a debit card please be aware of this.
• Gas at the Mobile @ I-4 and I-Drive was $5.19 a gallon.

We plan on coming back next year!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank mu4scott73
HIClubSpecialist, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
It’s great to hear about your recent visit to our resort and we can’t be happier to hear that you’re considering returning again next year! Thank you for being so thorough in your feedback, it really helps us to improve the overall guest experience. It certainly looks like our activities and amenities kept you busy during your stay and filled your vacation with family fun! It’s wonderful to hear that our staff we warm and welcoming during your interactions with them. We can’t wait to provide plenty of additional vacation memories for the whole family next year and look forward to seeing you all then. Thanks so much.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,422)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just got back from a weekend at Orange Lake and it was fantastic! Had one hiccup with a bar tab, not sure if it was a mistake or if it's their policy but our credit card was run after every drink we got. So we had numerous escalating charges for one bar tab. They assured us they will drop off, but it tied up almost $100 in our account which if you're traveling on a tight budget is a disaster.
When we checked in the front desk staff was wonderful. She handed us off to the clipboard gal and because I'm not one for confrontation I politely said we had to meet someone and we didn't need the $20 coupon. The girl very rudely replied "well you could've just said that then" and then stomped off. Other than that, our stay was awesome!
We didn't get one phone call for the 3 days we were there. The room was way beyond our expectation of what we booked. Frankly, it was larger than my first apartment! We had a one bedroom and some friends of ours had a 2 bedroom. They were both great.
All in all, we will DEFINITELY go back. The main pool area was great, never had a problem finding chairs. Very tropical.
Plenty of restaurants on property and in the immediate vicinity. Very convenient to the parks if that's what you want to do. We always stay on Disney property so we had very high expectations of this place. It didn't disappoint.
If it weren't for the rude clipboard girl and the drink tab snafu, I would say it was a perfect vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Awesome property for families. Very big with lots to do. Rooms were clean. I stayed in a two bedroom villa and it was very spacious, full kitchen, dining and living. I wish they had daily cleaning though. Several pools and resteraunts. Checkin was fast, it only took me 20 mins if that. I also recieved a $20 voucher, I didnt have to do timeshare and wasnt offered any timeshare opportunities. Which was great. I used my voucher towards tickets to blue man group. They have alot of parks and shows they help you get tickets too. I would stay again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Tthetourist
That’s great to hear! Thanks for giving us a chance to host your recent Orlando-area visit. It’s great to know that we could set you up with a villa that met your expectations and gave you just the room needed to be comfortable. We hope to welcome you and your family back for more good times at Orange Lake Resort in the future. Thanks again.
Martinsburg, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Basically a timeshare resort. Being there as a guest they put us in the worst villa( West Village)
The villa was out of date needs remodeled. Was almost done making breakfast one morning to find out toaster was broke, called front desk and after a half hour I called back to get an update they said it'd be 2 hrs, on top of that microwave was broke, ice maker didn't work, and looked like stove was torn apart and put back together. I called for extra towels one night and after an hour I wrote a note and went to bed. For the volume of people staying there they need to have a better ratio of staff for guest. Pool was nice but major attractions was in new part of resort (River Village) there they had Lazy River, and 2 miniature golf courses. We ate at the Legacy Grille food was great and good service. Resort is very close to all the attractions.

Room Tip: If you do stay don't stay in the West Village try to get River Village.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Dave F
Hello there, Dave. Thanks for your recent visit and for sharing your experience with us. It’s nice that you got the chance to explore the property and that you enjoyed the River Island area. We’re certainly disheartened to hear about your villa experience in West Village. We want all of our guests to let us know when their villa does not meet their expectations. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we want to make your stay as comfortable as possible while you’re staying with us. You’re right, we are a vacation ownership property and we value the feedback of our rental guests and owners alike! It would be great to have you stay with us again to give us an opportunity to exceed expectations on a future visit. Thank you again for your candid feedback.
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Check in took forever, front desk verified that stay was paid in full then gave a voucher for $20. To redeem it, we had to sign up for a time-share sales pitch ("90 minutes, no pressure"), room was nice on the surface but cheaply and quickly made (lots of shortcuts noted), everything smelled strongly of bleach (at least it was clean, right?), outside amenities were great but super crowded--to be expected, I guess. While checking balance on the credit card used at the front desk we noted that available credit was $0--after 15 minutes on the phone the hotel employee found that despite the front desk employee being able to see that the stay was paid in full, the computer system didn't recognize the payment and charged our card an additional $500. The time share pitch (signed up bc it gave a free $165 worth of amenities at the resort) took 3.5 hours...man repeatedly tried to obtain a verbal commitment from me to buy a condo "if the price was right." Nothing short of the word "yes" would work until I explained that I was familiar with the psychological technique of obtaining a verbal commitment from someone. When we said no, we weren't financially able to commit to an $800 mortgage payment (more or less) he informed us that "something always comes up in the future" and continued pressing us to buy. I emphatically said no repeatedly, so of course HIS manager came over and talked for another 30 minutes. THEN the marketing guy came and tried to sell us vacation packages...an hour and a half turned into almost four hours. A day before our trip ended we decided to add another day...called the listed number and spoke to someone (not the front desk) who said it would be $250 a night (compared to our $139 obtained on Hotwire).we hung up, discussed the matter, agreed on a price and then called the same number back to speak with a different person. They informed my husband they could put us in a different room for an acceptable price but that we'd have to load our car with our stuff at checkout time and check back in that afternoon. While my husband was relaying this information to me the woman hung up the phone! We proceeded with our day at the parks and then my husband called them back that evening to verify that they hadn't booked us for another night. The woman he spoke with couldn't even see if the reservation had been booked and couldn't transfer him to someone who could...he ended up having to drive to the front desk at midnight after a long day at Magic Kingdom. While speaking with the front desk he found that thankfully, the reservation hadn't gone through. In addition, they were going to charge us for the calls we had made TRYING TO CALL THE FRONT DESK!!!! Her words: "We're not a Holiday Inn." Evidently the assigned quick dial button on the phone goes to a Holiday Inn and you cannot call the front desk of the resort from your unit without being charged.
It was convenient having dishes and paper towels and the ability to cook...the grounds are beautiful...but be careful and watch your debit/credit card balances! Unplug the phones in the room!
We had a much better stay at the Wyndham resort by Downtown Disney--everything was very straight-forward there.

Stayed June 2014
5 Thank JenniferT1214
Hello, Jennifer. Thanks for giving us a chance to host your recent family getaway. Although we’re delighted that you found the grounds to be well kept and your villa exceeded your expectations, we disappointed to hear some of the other aspects you mention. We thank you for taking part in one of our property tours, which is a great way to more about the resort and Club Membership. We apologize, though, for your tour running a bit longer than expected and any pressure you felt during your presentation. Tours are set up to last 90 minutes but can run a bit longer as our team tailors a package that best fits your needs. You are always welcome to leave the tour after your 90 minutes are fulfilled. Our team is passionate about teaching our guests what benefits the Club can offer them. We never want that information and their passion to translate into pressure. Additionally, any additional credit or debit authorization that is taken upon arrival is for the ability to utilize your room key for charging and for any incidentals that may occur during your visit. These funds are guaranteed to be released upon your arrival. We hope that you consider us in the future so that we can show you just how much more fun we can add to your next visit.
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Orange Lake is certainly a fantastic resort with lots of great facilities to suit a range of ages/interests.

Location wise it is good as it is a reasonably short drive away from Disney and Universal parks so that was also a good point.

Villa we had in the West Village was maintained well, it was absolutely massive and had good kitchen and washing facilities which was very handy. I would definitely come back to this resort based on the accommodation and the high standard of this.

The only point I would mention is that I would not recommend the timeshare talk. We went along on the basis that we were told we would get a "tour of the resort" followed by a presentation. Obviously I am aware there would be a sales pitch but we certainly did not get a tour of any facilities, just shown around one of the apartments used in the timeshares so that was a bit disappointing. Furthermore, we were told the tour would last one hour. 3.5 hours later, we were still trying in vein to escape Ron and his sales tactics. We made it clear that we just didn't want a timeshare, then started getting asked things like "so you can't afford £XX per month for a holiday of a lifetime" etc etc. I thought this was rude and inapporiate. A point of concern to me is that the manager who Ron then enlisted as his last ditch attempt to persuade us, said that he he doesn't even conduct credit checks, he just takes people's word for it!! Absolutely shocking.

After we finally ditched Ron (who incidentally became totally off hand when he realised he wouldn't be getting any commission from us) he got us another chap to try and sell us a holiday back to the resort under the Latitude programme. Made to sound like a good deal but the reviews I've seen on this through trip adviser suggest otherwise. Wasn't impressed with his sales pitch either. The whole presentation was extremely clever with regards the psychology of it, i have to give them some credit. The word brain washing springs to mind.

The presentation involves a lot of talk on a chap called Kemmons Wilson who apparently was a founder of the brand. For a firm with such interest in him I found it surprising that the "Kemmons Wilson" channel on the television system did not seem to work. Just a point I noted.

I did enjoy staying here, although IF I did return I would not bother with the timeshare talk as it was a total waste of time. Couldn't believe we were there so long when we made it clear early on we were not interested.

Room Tip: West Village was good.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank K F
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We visited Orange Lakes as a family of 4 for our summer holiday this year, May 30th through to 13th June and I must say from the off it was a very pleasant experience.

Generally when we travel to Florida we stay in a villa but this year we thought we'd give something else a go and picked out Orange Lakes.

The first thing that grabbed me was the size of the resort, it's massive !, easily larger than our home town. We had like everyone else read all the reviews we possibly could prior to travelling and as a result of doing so we enquired before arrival to see if we could have one of the " renovated " apartments. I don't know whether we got one or not but we got a an absolutely lovely 2 bedroom apartment in the "East Village" which suited us down to the ground, my wife in particular is pretty fussy, maybe even border OCD and she was delighted with it so this is high praise indeed on the room front.

We were also pretty aware after reading some reviews that there be an attempt from sales staff calling your room to take up your time with tours etc but our experience was quite the opposite. Upon checking in we were welcomed and directed to a desk just along from check in where you were to be given " free vouchers for travel & discount for this, that & the next thing " we found that a polite but firm no thank you was perfectly adequate and we were not contacted once throughout our entire holiday regards time share sales etc as a result, however I must add in the resorts defence, what do people expect ? if they want the resort to provide discounts on the variety of things it does then in my opinion the sales team are quite entitled to try and follow that up.

We went to all the pool areas but spent the majority of our time at the lazy river complex which was great fun for the kids. The one thing to bear in mind is that you need to purchase an arm band to use the tubes.

I could go on for ages about how good a time we had but to generalise, there is something here for everyone, particularly the golfers, beautiful courses !, the whole resort is spotlessly clean, the effort that went into keeping it tidy by all the ground staff we saw was quite amazing, they were even pressure washing the streets and kerbs !!

We would all like to return some day so that for me is the sign that we all had a great time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Caribe Royale Orlando
#85 of 338 in Orlando

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort? Share your experiences!