A few months ago we stayed at Marriotts Grande Vista, and even as a devotee of that chain, I have to say Westgate won me over. Our 1 br deluxe villa is huge, nicely decorated, with high end finishes and amenities. Just being left several packs of detergent for the full size stacked laundry is something that makes traveling light easier, and it's the little things that make or break a vacation.
Reading other reviews, I agree that our sleepy, jet lagged brains were jarred a bit by the immediate offer of a timeshare sales presentation when we first checked in. This is a well-oilers machine and you are definitely channeled past checkin to sales. But if you put on your big people panties and say NO THANK YOU, you can bypass all that and be taken by or follow a little tram where a pleasant young person escorts you through the maze of buildings to your room or suite and gets you settled. Very nice. Our suite is immaculate with tiled floors in living areas warmed up with tropical colors and rugs, the kitchen and bath have marble counters, there is a huge dining table perfect for planning a days activities (we always feel like an invading army, with our maps, coupons, and local papers, comparing attractions). The tub is big enough for two and then some and has color changing waterfall fillers and bubblers. A large separate shower and dressing room makes easy to all get ready at once.
One way Westgate outshines Marriott is in the activities. There are many to choose from and the only challenge is that the place is so big it took us a while to figure out where various things were. No, we didn't ask, but should have as we missed some fun things like making a stuffed flamingo (I thought that would be a cheesy thing for little kids but the results, which we saw at the activities building, we're comparable to build a bear) and tie dying a t shirt. We did play their mini golf course which was just challenging enough to be fun but easy enough to allow for each of us to get a hole in one at some point. It winds around a lake with paddle boats and swan boats so it's scenic and relaxing too. You can rent bikes there as well
We weren't in love with the breakfast buffet at Shorts and Sandals, some things were cold, but it was okay and convenient. The local grocery/gift shop is well stocked and, with a call prior to arrival, will stock your kitchen from your list at prices that aren't outrageous, something harried parents traveling with little ones should consider so they don't waste their first theme park day at Publix.
What we thought was a problem with our shower turned out to be operator error. You pull out on the faucet and then have the option of standard, rainshower, or both. Once we reported it, they took care of it (pleasantly showed us how to use it). Only other issue was that the pool was too cool to my liking. The one by our building (there are 14 ) was mostly in shade and a kid told us it was cold. That was enough to keep me out. Summer months are probably fine.
Full disclosure...we did buy here. Not at full price, but a deeply discounted unit in the older Villas area (we stayed in the newest building in Town Center). We will be back each March for spring training games and ESPN park is just down the road. The Braves train there so we will see our beloved Tigers training games when they are there and not have to drive to Lakeland. The resort is pet friendly and you see occasional dogs being walked, but I never heard barking or any of the sounds you might expect from so many people nearby. Lovely resort with lots to do (as owners, mini golf, boats, bikes and much more are free; minimal fee for non owners) or do as little as possible. We will be back soon
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spacious Villas with All the Comforts of Home Westgate Town Center Resort & Spa in Kissimmee, Florida, provides guests all the comforts of a fully furnished home with accommodations ranging from studios to spacious four-bedroom villas, all within minutes of Orlando's world-famous theme parks and attractions. With a variety of onsite amenities and dining options, your vacation is waiting at Westgate Town Center! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Agoda, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Westgate Town Center Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westgate Town Hotel Kissimmee
- Westgate Town Center Resort & Spa Kissimmee, Florida